Gransnet forums

Books/book club

Fifty Books a Year (or fewer)

(805 Posts)
TerriBull Tue 01-Jan-19 07:58:29

Here it is then, GN very own 50 books a year thead, or as the title suggest for those who think that may be a tad too many for them, whatever your personal best may be after a culmination of reading for a year. Don't be daunted by the "50" benchmark, as this is the first thread of its kind, it is experimental and will evolve as it progresses.

So to recap, start off with what you are reading now, or with a new book. How often you come to the thread is up to the individual. Over on MN, some seem to up date every so often with the next few they've read. If you feel so inclined post a review or a synopsis of the book. Definitely share if it's something you've loved......or hated, or shelved hmm Reading material is not restricted to fiction, it can be anything, factual, audio, childrens, The Hungry Caterpillar or the like even!, such books count towards the 50, so who knows, you could be at that figure by the end of today grin

At the end of the year post your complete list with your best read in bold, worst in italics and mention your top five, or top book if you've just read five sad

Here's wishing those who partake a great reading year ahead in 2019.

granfromafar Sun 05-Jan-20 18:16:30

1. The Japanese Lover, Isabel Allende
2. The Adults. Caroline Hulse
3. After You, Jo Jo Moyes
4. Stark, Ben Elton.(Didn’t finish
5.*The Love Letter, Lucinda Riley*
6. The Girl You Left Behind, Jo Jo Moyes
7. Where Did I Leave my Glasses? Martha Weinman.
8.The 100yr Old Man Who Climbed Outhe Of A Window, Jonas Jonasson.
9, Border Crossing, Pat Barker
10. House of the Spirit, Isabel Allende
11. The Suspect, Fiona Barton
12. Mr Doubler Begins Again, Seni Glaister
13 Becoming, Michelle Obama
14 Mary Mary, James Patterson
15 My Story Fern Britton
16 Incendiary Chris Cleave
17 Magnificent Mrs Mayhew Milly Johnson
18 The Heart Beats in Secret Katie Mum nick
19 Gathering Light Jennifer Connelly
20*Why Be Happy When You Could Be Normal Jeanette Winterson*
21 Daughter of Fortune Isabel Allende
23 Where the Light Gets In Lucy Dillon.
24 The Couple Next Door Shari Lapena
25 Salmon Fishing in the Yemen Paul Torbay.
26 The Thread Victoria Hislop
27 * Secrets of the Sea House Elizabeth Gifford *
28 After the End Clare Mackintosh
29 Tombland CJ Sansom
30 The Keeper of Lost Things Ruth Hogan
31 Still Me Jo Jo Moyes
32 Clara, A Good Psychopath? Ann Thompson
33 The Muse Jessie Burton
34 The Ex-wives Deborah Moggach
35 The Bottle Factory Outing. Beryl Bainbridge
36 Dinner At The Homesick Restaurant Anne Tyler
37 Those Who Are Loved Victoria Hislop
38 The Seven Sisters Lucinda Riley
39*A Single Thread Tracey Chevalier*
40 The Storm Sister Lucinda Riley*
41*The Pearl Sister Lucinda Riley*
42 Haven't They Grown Sophie Hannah.
43 The Shadow Sister Lucinda Riley

mrswoo Thu 09-Jan-20 22:10:31

I’m getting round to doing my list ( it’s less than 50)

In the meantime granfromafar I was wondering if the books with the * beside the title were the ones you loved or the ones you hated. I hated The Love Letter by Lucinda Riley but I think you may have loved it. I usually enjoy her books, but not that one. You’ve got some interesting books on your list which I am going to take a look at, especially the Isabel Allende.

Harris27 Thu 09-Jan-20 22:18:13

We’ve just been talking about this at work. I’ve started with a gift in December by Jenny gladwell. So I’ve started so I’ll Finnish I will keep you posted.

granfromafar Fri 10-Jan-20 22:12:45

mrswoo: All the books with asterisks either side of the title should have been in bold, meaning I loved them. Having recently discovered Lucinda Riley, I am thoroughly enjoying all the books by her that I have read so far. I typed the list on my phone which possibly wasn't the best idea. In my haste there were a few typos so apologies for that.