Gransnet forums

Books/book club

Reading matter in the bathroom.

(49 Posts)
shysal Fri 12-Apr-19 18:28:46

I have fixed a little book-sized shelf for this purpose. A permanent occupant is The New Uxbridge English Dictionary by the I'm Sorry I Haven't a Clue team, into which I dip briefly for a chuckle, enjoyed by visitors. There is also always the book that I am currently reading, as the bath is the place where I read the most. This week it is a Duncan Kincaid murder mystery by Deborah Crombie.
Am I weird or do you also have reading material in your bathroom or loo?

Anja Sat 13-Apr-19 07:13:52

Think you all need to up your fibre if you have time to sit and read on a toilet break ??

NanKate Sat 13-Apr-19 07:19:18

I have a small stand (bought from the Pound shop) which I use for my IPad when I am watching catch up. Sometimes I take it into the bathroom and watch the News, tennis from all over the world or anything that takes my fancy. I usually hear DH saying ‘don’t get the iPad wet’ ?

shysal Sat 13-Apr-19 07:30:59

Rufus2, when we bought our first house it had an outside loo with squares of newspaper hanging from string. We didn't continue the practice.
Steptoe and Son always reminds me of the episode where the old man drops pickled onions in the bath then eats them. I think I would draw the line at that!

Rufus2 Sat 13-Apr-19 07:48:25

squares of newspaper hanging from string
"Same here! Our first outside loo was a terraced house in the "Royal Borough of New Windsor" of all places; we quickly went up-market to the "Daily Telegraph" brand, much more absorbing than the Daily Mail. grin

Whitewavemark2 Sat 13-Apr-19 07:59:42

Oh yes squares of newspaper. We used to spend holidays with an aunt deep in the Devonshire countryside. When I look back what it really was, was poverty, but we used to absolute love the freedom.

My aunt and uncle lived in a tiny, tiny end of a terrace of 6 rented cottages. There was no running water inside but a tap outside in the yard. The lavatory was outside in the woodshed with no flush or lighting, and of course the very necessary string with newspaper.

Chambers were under the beds for night time use. And just think we used to read in bed with our chambers under us?.

mumofmadboys Sat 13-Apr-19 08:10:43

Love reading in the bath!

Nannylovesshopping Sat 13-Apr-19 08:37:49

blushall my family read in the loo, sons, car mags, golf
mags, and my particular fave at one sons, 50 places to visit
before you die? guess it’s my fault when potty training them all always used to sit on floor with them and read a book, anyway none of us ever had yucky stomach bugs and
all grown up into fit and lovely people, all avid book lovers
too?

Whitewavemark2 Sat 13-Apr-19 08:43:35

Yes I always sat on the loo seat reading to my children whilst they played in the bath. Every night that took place.

mcem Sat 13-Apr-19 09:09:43

anja my feelings precisely.
However well-equipped and beautifully decorated, a bathroom is a functional place.
Why would anyone choose to spend time there - with the exceptions of luxuriating in a bath or bathing children? (Or perhaps occasionally escaping from them!)
Improve your digestive function !

aggie Sat 13-Apr-19 09:14:50

On all the "House Renovation" programmes , it is the kitchen followed by the Bathroom that has the Wow factor , so it must be a favourite place for a good percent of the population ,

eazybee Sat 13-Apr-19 09:36:01

I wonder if those who happily read in the bathroom at various activities would be kind enough to list the bacterial infections they have suffered from as a result at these disgusting habits
I have always read in the bath and on the loo and hardly ever have any sort of bacterial infection; neither have members of my family or people who have eaten in this house and gone on to lead healthy lives.

Some people disgust very easily

Mamissimo Sat 13-Apr-19 09:39:54

JL, A****n etc all sell bath books for babies ?

I think the world has moved on and the bathroom is a place of sanctuary for a bit of peace and downtime. It’s for relaxation and pleasure as much as ‘funtion’ - you don’t create a ‘wow’ bathroom to dash in and out all the time.

You catch more germs from a kitchen than a bathroom but I bet most people have a cookbook in there.......

Gonegirl Sat 13-Apr-19 09:46:12

Yes. We all know about bath books for babies. My grandsons didn't bother with a lot of reading of them. Used to suck bath water out of them though.

Gonegirl Sat 13-Apr-19 09:46:41

And we know what a baby looks like, thank you very much. hmm

Gonegirl Sat 13-Apr-19 09:47:58

I think it's totally unnecessary to read on the lav.

Swallow some Fybogel.

lovebeigecardigans1955 Sat 13-Apr-19 09:52:47

I have never kept books in the bathroom. I think you should get on with ^your business* , wash your hands and get out. Reading matter is for the sitting room or bedside table.

quizqueen Sat 13-Apr-19 09:56:38

I have crossword/puzzle books in the bathroom. They never leave there until complete then go in the recycling bin and its only me that uses them. I wonder how many of you complaining about germs take your phone, comb, handbags etc. into toilets with them and then later put them on work surfaces.

Gonegirl Sat 13-Apr-19 09:56:50

Perhaps we should say "toilet" or "bathroom" here. The two activities taking place in each are quite different. ie It's fine to read "in", but not "on".

Callistemon Sat 13-Apr-19 09:57:41

shysal I tried that but it didn't seem to work - perhaps I shouldn't have gone to S****S*s!

Anja yes, I agree, I think that dried apricots work well.

Rufus2 Sat 13-Apr-19 12:51:17

Think you all need to up your fibre if you have time to sit and read on a toilet break ??
Oh Dear Anja! I thought this was to be a serious thread, but somehow it's becoming comedy. Can't think how that happened! shockActually it doesn't have to be a fibre prob. Medications and thinking about a forthcoming visit to the dentist can alter the metabolic balance, inducing a situation of suffering from (please excuse the expression) a bout of the trots! shock In which case being a competent speed-reader can be an asset; on the other hand, if you are in there for the "long haul" then a pen would also be handy to do the crossword! grin Good Luck!

sodapop Sat 13-Apr-19 13:38:34

You can take whatever you like into the lavatory quizqueen and others. I just dislike the idea of my books in there. Books should be treated with respect and for me this does not include them being in the lavatory.

GillT57 Sat 13-Apr-19 16:04:44

No digestive disorders here, just like reading on the loo! As I am the only one that reads my book in there I have no issue with germs. I do however, have an issue with people who put their bags on the floor of restaurant and pub toilets then came back and put them on the table where one is about to eat.

MamaCaz Sat 13-Apr-19 17:24:48

Someone said that they think it is unnecessary to read on the toilet. That is probably true, but it's equally true to say that reading for pleasure is 'unnecessary' anywhere at any time, as are many of the most enjoyable activities. That doesn't make them wrong grin

Personally, I have never read while on the toilet. The idea just doesn't appeal to me, and I am lucky enough to be able to do the necessary in a very short time anyway.
However, I don't see what's wrong with it if people want to do it - as long as the reader puts the book down before wiping and doesn't touch it again until hands are washed!