Gransnet forums

Books/book club

Recommended books

(40 Posts)
NanKate Sat 19-Oct-19 07:53:10

As I am such a fan of the Elly Griffiths books set in East Anglia my sister suggested I try the Joy Ellis books. I can’t find them in my library. Has anyone on GN discovered them please ?

Floradora9 Mon 16-Dec-19 21:40:57

an author I discovered this year is M. W. Craven . His book the puppet show is so good.

grannydarkhair Wed 18-Dec-19 23:39:50

Two Scottish writers I really enjoy are Stuart MacBride and Denzil Meyrick. SB's Logan McRae is a great character, on a par with Jackson Brodie in my opinion.
Another wonderful Scottish writer is Chris Brookmyre, several of his books have the same main characters, e.g. an investigative journalist, a counter-terrorism policewoman, a private detective (not all in the same books, each character has their own set of novels). He also writes stand-alone novels, the themes of which are varied, but always very funny, and very dark. His writing has been described as Tartan Noir.
Also, have you tried any of Reg Hill's Dalziel and Pascoe books? "On Beulah Height"is one of my favourite books ever.

Calendargirl Sun 02-Feb-20 10:25:10

After reading this thread, I re-joined my local library, haven’t borrowed any books for years. One of my new year resolutions, I feel I spend too much time on Gransnet!
Found Cara Hunter’s third book on the shelf, have nearly finished it, and have reserved her other three books, the newest one I am 53 on the reserve list!
I realise I am reading them in the wrong order, but hey ho!
Thanks for encouraging me to read again,

WOODMOUSE49 Sun 02-Feb-20 10:31:57

If you don't mind secondhand/used books then there are lots on WorldofBooks - free delivery too.

www.worldofbooks.com/en-gb/category/all?search=joy%20ellis

jacq10 Sun 02-Feb-20 10:47:14

grannydarkhair - both my DD and DS are big fans of Christopher Brookmyre so I must give him a try. I enjoy Simon Kernick although a bit "gory" at times. At the moment I am reading Robert Galbraith's ( J K Rowling) "Lethal White" and thoroughly enjoying it. I did watch the dramatisations of the first novels on tv but think I'll see if I can get them through the library. I also use the reservation service at our local library. I very rarely buy a new book these days as we have an excellent charity book stall in one of our local supermarkets in aid of a local dog charity which I know does good work - 50p a book. My current read as above is a hardback in new condition priced at £20 on the cover and hopefully by the time it is passed around through this stall it will have raised £20 or more for them!!

lucywinter Sun 02-Feb-20 10:51:45

I have just read Somewhere Close to Happy by Lia Louis. So good I didn't want it to end.

Now started on American Dirt by Jeanine Cummins. There's been a lot of controversy over that one. I'm finding it compelling.

quizqueen Sun 02-Feb-20 11:25:19

If you like mysteries/crime or unusual (a bit spooky) fiction try Louise Candlish, Sophie Hannah, Linwood Barclay, Paul Torday, Tim Weaver, Liz Henson, Graham Joyce, Emma Healey, C J Tudor and Joanna Cannon.

Kupari45 Tue 04-Feb-20 23:08:57

Just finished THE RESTLESS SEA by Vanessa De Haan.
Set during second world war, this book told a terrific story.
Couldnt put it down- read it in three sessions.

Elrel Tue 04-Feb-20 23:49:54

The Other Half of Augusta Hope, first novel by Joanna Glen, is a book I shan’t forget. I couldn’t get into it at first but it was well worth a second attempt.
It is disturbing at times. beautiful in so many ways and rooted firmly in today’s confusing world. I’m looking forward to her second book.

DeeDum Sat 08-Feb-20 10:20:26

I also loved & recommend
The Bronze Horseman by Paulina Simons

Elegran Thu 13-Feb-20 14:48:52

I have just been reminded of a lovely book, "Best wishes, Sister B" by Fran Smith, which is in the form of letters from a nun in a crumbling convent in the fens to another in Peru. Don't panic - they are not at all "churchy" but about her attempts to run the new convent shop and prevent the bishop from closing them down and selling off the land for a car park.

While checking on the exact name of the author, to send to someone on Facebook, I discovered that there is a sequel, called "The power of cake - that sounds very relevant to Gransnet. I have ordered it, will report back when I have read it.

Elegran Thu 13-Feb-20 15:00:43

Fran Smith

bookaddict Sat 15-Feb-20 11:19:40

Two very enjoyable romance books I recommend for anyone into romantic fiction would be The Belle Fields and its sequel Ashes of Roses by Lora Adams. Have actually read both of them twice and enjoyed both over again. Surprising what you can miss the first time round - perhaps only me there - as long as I allow a couple of months or so between reads. Was loathe to put either of them down and had to wait for the promised sequel for over a year - but def worth the wait! If you give them a try bet you enjoy as well!

bookaddict Sat 15-Feb-20 11:41:43

Just found a couple of fotos which may be of interest?