Gransnet forums

Books/book club

Recommended books

(39 Posts)
Jessity Wed 13-Nov-19 21:49:27

I’m enjoying the Joy Ellis books, fantasticfiction.com lists them in series order.

I’m also in the middle of L J Ross’s DCI Ryan series which I’m enjoying.

I love T E Kinsey’s books featuring Lady Hardcastle and Anita Waller’s Kat and Mouse series.

NanKate Wed 13-Nov-19 21:20:17

I realise now Gulli it was YOU who recommended the Cara Hunter books to help, thanks so much for the introduction. Fabulous page turner. I have got book 3 on reserve.

NanKate Wed 13-Nov-19 21:16:43

Reading a real page turner by Cara Hunter called ‘In the Dark’ all set in Oxford. A gripping read ?

BBbevan Wed 13-Nov-19 18:15:04

Anyone recommend a new thriller/ detective writer. I have read all the Rebus, Banks,Vera, Serrallier books etc. and am looking for something else. I shall try the Joy Ellis books, so glad of that suggestion. Any others would be most welcome though. I do not like American writers !

Patsy70 Wed 13-Nov-19 17:58:53

Yes, I'm another fan of Susan Hill's Simon Serailler books. I must say I found 'Airs and Angels' an odd read, also by Susan Hill. Just downloaded 'The Bronze Horseman', the first of a trilogy, by Paulina Simons, which was recommended. Has anyone else read this?

Poppyred Wed 13-Nov-19 15:54:13

I’ve just discovered Howard Linskey, crime author, set in the North East. Brilliant read, can’t put them down once started. There are 7 books in all with new novel coming out in the new year.

gulligranny Wed 13-Nov-19 14:59:08

I have the Susan Hill/Simon Serrailler on reserve from the library, this is a wonderful series. I'm going to try the Elly Griffiths novels as recommended by NanKate, and in turn I can recommend Cara Hunter, who has only written 3 books so far but they are set in Oxford with a grumpy detective who "hates opera and doesn't do crosswords" and they are excellent!

mumofmadboys Sat 19-Oct-19 18:26:38

I have just started the new Susan Hill book in the Simon Serrailler series The benefit of hindsight which came out this month. I ordered it from the library.

Scribbles Sat 19-Oct-19 16:35:09

I'm generally a fan of crime/thriller novels but I tried one Joy Ellis book and found her writing style virtually unreadable. I gave up after a very few chapters and have never tried again. I think they're all available on Kindle and, with that, you can download a free sample to try before you buy.

NanKate Sat 19-Oct-19 13:59:02

Thanks I will look up all your suggestions.

Firecracker123 Sat 19-Oct-19 10:34:43

The Midnight Rose by Lucinda Riley not an author I usually read but picked her book up on holiday nothing else available and couldn't put it down. Thoroughly recommend a great read.

Sar53 Sat 19-Oct-19 10:27:26

Joy Ellis books are set on the Fens. I've read most of them and enjoy them. At least two different series, all police thrillers. Good stories, give them a try.

Humbertbear Sat 19-Oct-19 09:31:45

Some of them are available on Amazon and on Kindle. There is a new one due out which means they will drop the prices to draw you in. They are all for sale on eBay. Maybe you can find them in charity shops? I would recommend Susan Hill’s Simon Serrailler series. Have you read P D James’s Adam Dagleish books set in East Anglia?

NanKate Sat 19-Oct-19 07:53:10

As I am such a fan of the Elly Griffiths books set in East Anglia my sister suggested I try the Joy Ellis books. I can’t find them in my library. Has anyone on GN discovered them please ?