Gransnet forums

Books/book club

The New Fifty Books A Year Thread 2020

(311 Posts)
TerriBull Wed 01-Jan-20 09:04:35

Happy New Year Book Readers, for all those who wish to participate in the Fifty Books A Year, here is the new 2020 one. Once again, this figure is aspirational, please don't be deterred from joining it, if you feel you won't reach that number, ANY FIGURE WILL DO that's just the title lifted from MN.

This is a lighthearted forum to come together to dicuss books, recommend ones you have loved or moan about ones you've not enjoyed and to exchange thoughts and opinions on your reads. Any book is acceptable towards the total including audio All are welcome!

Happy 2020 Reading

Urmstongran Wed 01-Jan-20 19:26:01

I suppose Sara65 you could be right but at 70 pages in, I’ve given a story enough of a chance - and my time!
?

TerriBull Wed 01-Jan-20 19:32:00

Urmstongran, you are absolutely right! We need a sub section for "ditched books" setting out the actual page where we felt we could stand it no longer and reasons why grin I'm with you all the way, lying ditched on my shelves at present are "The Seven Deaths of Evelyn Hardcastle" and "A Gentleman is Moscow" the latter was given to me by my son who told me it was a fascinating read, when he asked me if I enjoyed it, I'm afraid to say I lied through my teeth with "a wonderful read" . Anyway, may I recommend this as a potential "ditched book", you won't get to page 70 I promise, "Lincoln in the Bardo" Booker Prize Winner and possibly one of the most boring books I've ever committed to, couldn't tell you what any of it was about, No! hundreds of pages and none the wiser! I blame MN, they all loved it shock

Although I would add, I hated Atonement for the first 70 pages or so and then after that it seemed to come alive and was glad I perservered with it.

Jane10 Wed 01-Jan-20 20:00:48

Just finished another terrific Abir Mukherjee book about his post WW1 detective in India. Great story.
Am starting the biography of Queen Mary that's been republished and on Amazon Kindle for 99p. It's got terrific reviews.

Sara65 Wed 01-Jan-20 20:04:27

Just finished book no 1, The Rumour-Lesley Kara.
Don’t rush out to buy it ladies.

KatyK Wed 01-Jan-20 20:19:18

I was given A Kestrel for a Knave by Barry Hines for Christmas. I've just started that. Then I will read a book DH got for Christmas - a new biography of Richard Briers.

Wheniwasyourage Wed 01-Jan-20 20:40:52

Just finished Guilty Not Guilty by Felix Francis. (I've been sitting and reading for most of the day!) Think it could be his best one so far.

mary51 Thu 02-Jan-20 08:19:20

Can I join? Yesterday finished off Erebus by Michael Palin (a birthday present from December) a brilliant book. And also yesterday got to the end of The Lost Man by Jane Harper set in Australia, which I realised halfway through that I had read before! That often happens with Library books. Next to start is The Making of English Landscape by Nicholas Crane, a Christmas present.

mary51 Thu 02-Jan-20 08:30:12

Above should say The Making of the British Landscape more of a 'dipping into' book.

Inca Thu 02-Jan-20 08:42:15

Should really read more...always read LOADS as a child...but the iPad is so addictive!! Am going to try harder this year. 1st book of the year: The Unlikely Life of Maisie Meadows by Jenni Keer ....seems a light read so far.
Looking forward to finding out what others read... The Salt Path is going on my TBR list! smile

Caramac Thu 02-Jan-20 13:11:50

Finished The Salt Path over lunch. What a great book, an inspirational couple with immense resilience. Well written. What I want to know now is how are things now? I will google to see if I can find out.
I definitely recommend this book.
@Crocker , I have a relative who lives in Cornwall and she has taken me to many of the places mentioned. I’ve also holidayed in Polzeath and frequently walked the coastal path to Daymer Bay and then onto Rock. When in Mawgan Porth I walked to Watergate Bay and Newquay. I only wish I lived there but family commitments keep us inland many miles away.

Urmstongran Thu 02-Jan-20 14:01:31

I Googled Moth & was it Winn? (Can’t remember her name now!). I was totally surprised how young they are! I had them mid to late sixties for some reason when I read Salt Path!

Urmstongran Thu 02-Jan-20 14:05:24

Here they are!

Caramac Fri 03-Jan-20 10:42:43

Book 2
THR3E by Conrad Jones. It’s the fifth in the Detective Alec Ramsey series.
Looks to be pretty similar to the previous books I’ve read, as is to be expected as it’s a series with the same characters.
These books are fairly gritty, a lot of violence which seems to be very imaginative and so not a comfort read or for the faint hearted.
I’ve quite enjoyed the series but getting a tad weary of them now. I pay for Kindle Unlimited, new to me, and have read about 16 books for £3.99 so far. I doubt I would pay extra to finish the series but happy to continue on K. U.

Caramac Fri 03-Jan-20 11:40:50

You probably thought they were older because Ray told us how many times others referred to them as old. I’m sure you’ll agree with me, they were many things but old they were, and are, not. Amazing people. I’ve just ordered Paddy Dillon,s book ?

SueDonim Fri 03-Jan-20 14:17:00

I’m really thinking about your book abandonment advice, UM. I’m not loving Melmoth. I’m reading it on Kindle and I do think some books are better read in physical form and that may be one of them. However, I stepped up my reading pace last night and that helped, as it’s quite a slow book.

SueDonim Fri 03-Jan-20 14:37:56

Sorry, that should be Urmstongran!

Barmeyoldbat Fri 03-Jan-20 15:12:25

I am joining this thread this year to step up my reading I am just on the last few pages of Those who are Loved by Victoria Hislop and I am forcing myself to finish these last few pages as I am eager to start a new book.

I have put the Salt Path on my list to read but will be reading Julius by Daphne Du Maurier next as I have swopped books with a friend and need to return it.

Good point Ums about giving up on books, Sometimes I want to give up but just keep going. Others I just stop as I think life is to short.

Urmstongran Fri 03-Jan-20 15:56:37

I don’t mind Ug either SueDonim it’s quicker!

Urmstongran Fri 03-Jan-20 15:58:04

Seems I may have a few ‘converts’ here for 2020! I’ve been known to stop reading a book mid sentence.
?

sue421 Fri 03-Jan-20 19:36:21

First audio book of the year!
Lady in Waiting. My Extraordinary Life in the Shadow of the Crown by Lady Anne Glenconner
This book actually made me cross...these people live in a bubble not in our world....I listen to relax but this really wound me up. It probably would have been easier to listen to if Anne Glenconner had not read it, she paused in all the wrong places. Did you know there was a seating etiquette for Nannies in parks! I gave it 2 stars on review...so glad I didnt buy it! I only managed to listen up to Chapter 11!

emmasnan Fri 03-Jan-20 20:14:21

My first book is The Argument by Victoria Jenkins.
Had a twist I wasn't expecting, enjoyed the book very much.

JackyB Sat 04-Jan-20 00:32:23

May I join, too? I am a slow reader (only managed to finish some of my set books at school a few days before the exam!), but I reckon I could manage a book a week.

At the moment I'm reading The Gathering by Anne Enright. I'm not really enjoying it, but I don't like giving up, and anyway, I'm 3/4 of the way through now.

Following comments so far on this thread, I shall go for The Salt Path next. I need a page turner if I'm going to keep up.

Sara65 Sat 04-Jan-20 08:46:53

I’ve had The Salt Path on my pile for months, I may have to bump it up to the top.

Caramac Sat 04-Jan-20 13:05:50

I’ve finished THR3E by Conrad Jones, the last in the Detective Alec Ramsey series and found it a fitting end where the characters had developed and matured in a believable manner.
Book 3 starting later today is
A Place Called Freedom by Ken Follett.
I anticipate this will be a really good read.

Juno56 Sat 04-Jan-20 14:01:47

Just finished book one, 'Just One Damned Thing After Another' by Jodi Taylor. I didn't think it would be my sort of thing but gave it a go because it was a recommendation (and gift) from a very good friend. I loved it! It's set in an alternate reality, possibly a few years in the future and is basically time travel meets historical research. The characters are 'interesting', especially the main protagonist Max. I don't know now whether to download the second in the series and read it straight away or whether to pick one from my pile of to be read.