Gransnet forums

Books/book club

Books that you read/had read to you as child that you really loved?

(170 Posts)
Trisha57 Sun 22-Mar-20 20:00:21

When I was 7, in Junior School, our teacher read a book called "The Twelve and the Genii" which was our first book with proper chapters in it. It was a wonderful story about a family that moves into the Bronte's former home and their discovery of tin soldiers under the floorboards that had belonged to Branwell Bronte and his sisters. The soldiers come to life and go on adventures in the house. What book inspired others as children?

Nata Wed 25-Mar-20 07:03:06

I loved Warrior Cats by Erin Hunter. My DGD is a biggest fan of them ever, so we watched the screen adaptations, read the special editions and even did a school presentation with music and fan-made pictures about these cats. I liked the story because is reminded me of the The Three Musketeers somehow smile

TerriBull Wed 25-Mar-20 08:02:08

Started off on Little Grey Rabbit, The Faraway Tree and Noddy books. Later on, so many, but I love remembering in particular Christmas and the books I got then such as Alice in Wonderland and Through the Looking Glass, Heidi, Wind in The Willows, The Water Babies which I absolutely adored. My mum passed me a very old What Katy Did from when she was a girl, I reread that loads of times. When I was a bit older, early teens she gave me her Gone with the Wind which I also devoured. I used the library a lot as a child and read all the Enid Blytons. I remember ordering books whilst on the long summer holidays from school and being thrilled when the white post card arrived to say the book was ready to collect. I worked my way through the entire Famous Five, Secret Seven, The Adventure Series and Mallory Towers which gave me boarding school envy because they always appeared to be having midnight feasts

Urmstongran Wed 25-Mar-20 08:38:12

The junior school teacher sat on a desk in front of us. We were allowed to put our heads on our arms on the tables and you could hear a pin drop whilst she read ‘The Borrowers’. Magical.

My best reads around that age (?8y) were definitely the ‘Milly Molly Mandy’ books. I loved the little map of cottages and lanes showing ‘friend Susan’s house’ at the beginning!
? ?

Laughterlines Wed 25-Mar-20 08:47:18

Just William. I was a war baby we didn’t have many toys or books. There was always a queue at the library for William books. You can get tapes of William stories and they still make me laugh out loud. My DGC love them too esp in the car on boring journeys (me too).

Trisha57 Wed 25-Mar-20 08:53:32

Oh, this has brought back so many happy memories of past favourite books. The Twins at St Clare's, Police Dog by Kathering Fidler, the Water Babies, Milly Molly Mandy.........and many more. Enid Blyton by the ton- my DH read some of these to our own daughters when they were little, but had to censor some of the text that mentioned "beating" the donkey etc.!!!! I think I'll try to get some of these books for my own DGC.

Abnuyc123 Wed 25-Mar-20 08:59:49

Yes to Enid Blyton, I especially loved The Magic Faraway Tree, then Smuggler Ben then all the others in the collections.

I loved the CS Lewis books and also the Arthur Ransome books.

Then anything horse related, Pat Smythe was a favourite.

I sometimes wish I was a kid again, kid’s books are so much better than adult fiction.

Alexa Wed 25-Mar-20 09:04:31

Abnuyc123, do you mean "Out of the Silent Planet" and that trilogy? I first read those as an adult and still like them,

oldgimmer1 Wed 25-Mar-20 09:25:18

grannybags I bought "Boy Next Door" for DD but she wasn't interested....I think I may have to put it on my "lockdown list". grin.

I also remember a Blyton where the kids were living in a cave behind a waterfall. It was one of the "adventure" ones I think..hmm.

Harris27 Wed 25-Mar-20 09:38:34

I loved what Katie did and what Katie did next. I was awarded these for my English efforts. I remember getting a book token and going to a certain book shop in Newcastle. The thrill of handing those vouchers over never let me and my love of books continued.

eazybee Wed 25-Mar-20 09:56:28

The Enchanted Wood stories, Little Grey Rabbit, Heidi, What Katy Did, all LM Alcott, which I find almost unreadable now, and The Little White Horse, Elizabeth Goudge, which I still have. Oh and Malcolm Saville, the Lone Pine Club. My Primary school teacher read Moonfleet aloud to us,which made a huge impression, and forty years later I read a much abridged version to my class, with the same effect.

Rosina Wed 25-Mar-20 11:17:08

Enid Blyton - The Magic Faraway Tree was so captivating that my Mother had to shout to get my attention - I was there! Mallory Towers series, Heidi, Black Beauty (cried buckets) Little Women and Good Wives, Milly Molly Mandy - what lovely memories.
Recently I re read the 'What Katy Did' books, and was amazed to find that many expressions that I use now were in those pages. Also, the 'Sue Barton' nursing series - I absolutely loved those stories.

SillyNanny321 Wed 25-Mar-20 11:17:56

My brother hated reading but was still given 'Boys' books to read. I pinched them & could never get enough og Biggles & any other 'Boys' books. Tomboy me ?

Northernandproud Wed 25-Mar-20 11:18:25

The Water babies, The Secret Garden, The little House on the Prairie books by Laura Ingalls Wilder were always my favourite and my nanna bought me them all in a little cardboard sleeve that i loved, when i left home to get married my mum gave them and all my books to a charity shop, and even after all these years ive never found a set to replace them
And thinking of books i loved ive just remembered my sisters obsession with Milly Molly Mandy when she was young and Anne of Greengables when she was slightly older
Happy memories

SueWll Wed 25-Mar-20 11:23:13

This is such a useful reminder. My DD has asked people to give her son a copy of their favourite book and to write a few words about it. It's his first birthday and he doesn't need toys. A friend of mine is going to give him a Haynes manual. ?

mimismo Wed 25-Mar-20 11:25:23

The Chalet School series, tho' I made my mum promise never to send me away, and the Narnis books which I still have on my book shelves.

Craftycat Wed 25-Mar-20 11:26:05

Oh Winnie The Pooh every time- I could recite all 4 books- stories & poetry!
I also loved the Narnia books. I did try Enid Blyton but found her a bit 'wet'. I loved Ballet Shoes too.
I was an avid reader from a very early age & always had my nose stuck in a book according to my parents- but they were the same. I could read before I started school.
I remember that at the age of 7 Dad had to prise his O Henry omnibus from me in case it wasn't all suitable.
To be fair I am still book mad but now it is all on a Kindle so it can go everywhere with me & I can read it at night without keeping DH awake.
Life without a book- unthinkable.

jaylucy Wed 25-Mar-20 11:28:11

Secret Garden - our Primary School teachers always used to end the school day with the last half hour reading aloud to the class. This is the first one that I remember. My teacher at the time picked it because she also came from Yorkshire!
Any Enid Blyton, Black Beauty, M Alcott books, The house at Green Knowe .
None of them , when made into films or tv series matched the picturs I had in my head when I read them though!

labazsisslowlygoingmad Wed 25-Mar-20 11:31:06

any Enid Blyton
Ballet shoes by Noel Streatfield
paddington bear books
so many i have always been a readaholic

jacalpad Wed 25-Mar-20 11:34:55

Anything Enid Blyton, especially The Magic Faraway Tree!

Lookout01 Wed 25-Mar-20 11:35:51

It's The Lion The Witch and The Wardrobe for me. Loved it as a child. Also my dad would bring me a comic home every Friday (along with a bag of milk bottles!) and my favourite was Jackie

Daisyboodle Wed 25-Mar-20 11:36:31

For those of you who like Malory Towers there is an adaptation series on iplayer at the moment....

Humbertbear Wed 25-Mar-20 11:36:40

Lorna Hill’s Sadlers Wells books for me. I still have them and have managed to buy the rest of the series in recent years. Ballet Shoes and the Narnia books too

Matelda Wed 25-Mar-20 11:37:10

I loved the Little White Horse by Elizabeth Goudge, which I read many times. The unimaginably distant West Country, the historical setting, Loveday Minette and Robin, the unicorn in the forest. When I was 14 I read it once again and closed it for the last time, acknowledging that the magic was slipping away as I was growing up.

Pollyj Wed 25-Mar-20 11:37:31

The children of Green Knowe, The Weirdstone ofBrisingamon, Charlotte sometimes.

Hattiehelga Wed 25-Mar-20 11:40:06

Heidi. I still have the book in pristine condition. Can't quite bring myself to pass it on to my granddaughter just yet !