Gransnet forums

Books/book club

Books that you read/had read to you as child that you really loved?

(170 Posts)
Trisha57 Sun 22-Mar-20 20:00:21

When I was 7, in Junior School, our teacher read a book called "The Twelve and the Genii" which was our first book with proper chapters in it. It was a wonderful story about a family that moves into the Bronte's former home and their discovery of tin soldiers under the floorboards that had belonged to Branwell Bronte and his sisters. The soldiers come to life and go on adventures in the house. What book inspired others as children?

Timeforredwine Mon 20-Apr-20 00:23:56

Also the silver sword, my naughty little sister, milly molly mandy, the hobbit and the secret garden!

almostelderly Tue 21-Apr-20 19:19:50

Reading the comments has reminded me of the books I loved as a child. The Lone Pine series by Malcom Saville, I was a member of the Lone Pine Club. The Chalet School series, What Katy Did, most of the Enid Blytons and of course, Little Women and the sequels. I really enjoyed the new Little Women film at Xmas.

Clawdy Sun 03-May-20 14:35:21

Milly Molly Mandy as a small child, our teacher read the stories to us, and I thought Billy Blunt was Billy Blood! Later on I was obsessed with the Lorna Hill ballet books, and Pamela Brown's Swish of the Curtain, and it's follow-ups.

wiggys52 Thu 09-Jul-20 07:12:47

I loved the 'Katy' books, by Susan Coolidge(?), I had my mother's copy which unfortunately was lost in a flood a few years back. All the Chalet school series, all of Enid Blytons boarding school stories i.e. The Twins at St. Clares, Mallory Towers etc. My brother had the most amazing copy of Black Beauty which had full page colour pictures with tissue paper over them. I also enjoyed the Biggles books with Ginger and Lacey.

ladymuck Thu 09-Jul-20 07:23:04

Reading through this thread has brought back wonderful memories of all the books I enjoyed as a child.
Lorna Doone was one of my favourites, The Railway Children, and I had all of Monica Edwards books. I also enjoyed the Biggles books, though they are intended for boys, as well as The Eagle comics.

MellowYellow Thu 09-Jul-20 07:31:09

What a lovely thread. My favourites were Wind In The Willows, which I can still get lost in even now, and Winnie The Pooh, though I had to avoid Eeyore (spelling?!) cos he made me so sad. I still have a book called Girls' World, full of adventure, which inspired me to try many things.

Bakingmad0203 Thu 09-Jul-20 08:25:56

I must have missed this the first time round!
I too loved Enid Blyton, the Drina books ( I so wanted to be a ballet dancer but Mum couldn’t afford lessons)
I think I was slow learning to read and remember how I hated the Janet and John books!

In primary school we would all sit on the floor in front of the teacher at the end of the day and she would read from a book about 2 children who travelled on a magic carpet to foreign lands. I thought it was called Over the Rainbow but I haven’t been able to find it since.

And I can remember when I was about 9 looking forward to Saturdays when I would choose my library books, go to the sweet shop and then spend all afternoon in the front room reading and eating my sweets in peace.
Thank you Trish57 for starting this thread

Susan56 Thu 09-Jul-20 08:26:10

Any book by Enid Blyton,the What Katy did series,Swallows and Amazons and all the Arthur Ransome books,The Bobsey twins and a book called The Children who Lived in Barn.
A company called Persephone books was reprinting old titles so I have a new copy of The Children who Lived in a Barn.
I also loved Little Women,Ballet Shoes and The Secret Garden.

Bakingmad0203 Thu 09-Jul-20 08:27:33

Oh and I recently reread some of the Mallory Towers books during Lockdown and I still enjoyed them.

Puzzler61 Thu 09-Jul-20 08:35:06

Jill’s Pony Trek, Jill’s Riding Club, Jill’s Gymkana and more similar stories, by Ruby Ferguson.
I saved my pocket money planning to buy my own pony (big plans).
Goodness knows where I would have kept a pony as our garden was all given over to vegetable growing by my dad.
?

Puzzler61 Thu 09-Jul-20 08:36:22

I loved Annuals too and always found one in my Christmas stocking ?

Trisha57 Thu 09-Jul-20 09:12:06

You're very welcome Bakingmad. Who knew this thread would grow like Topsy! It just shows how important our childhood books were and are.

Trisha57 Thu 09-Jul-20 09:14:01

Oh, those Christmas annuals! We also got one each Christmas and I think I still have a couple up in the loft.

Teetime Thu 09-Jul-20 10:16:50

No-one read to me but I was a very early reader the Alice books were wonderful to me.

MellowYellow Fri 10-Jul-20 16:46:05

Oh, and Judy magazine! Sandra of the Secret Ballet had me mesmerised. (Never mind that Sandra had been kidnapped and kept captive. All rather dodgy but somehow I didn't notice that!)

tidyskatemum Fri 10-Jul-20 18:08:56

Puzzler61 I read all the horsy Jill stories and fantasised about having a pony too!Fat chance in our pit village!

I loved the Faraway Tree stories, Famous Five and Island/Castle/River of Adventure by Enid Blyton, I still have copies and DD rereads them whenever she comes to stay. Also The Long Winter by Laura Ingalls Wilder and What Katy Did. Never read the Wind in the Willows as a child but there’s an audio version on BBC Sounds. It’s WONDERFUL!

Whitewavemark2 Fri 10-Jul-20 18:13:53

I still have some in my bookcase that I promise myself I will read again.

Corryanna Sun 12-Jul-20 20:40:08

What a lovely and uplifting thread! I could barely read age 5 (and couldn't wait till I was 8 and could join the local Library!) I remember going along (aged 50) to Library with my Grandpa, to return some of his books and he met a teacher friend, who spoke kindly to me and said books will help you to learn so much and become a very clever girl! I can visualise that moment 56 years later.

My very favourite books were:
Secret Seven
Mallory Towers
Peter Pan
Heidi
Aesop's Fables
The Little Princess

and later as a teen:
The Little Prince (fabulous book to re-read)
Wind in the Willows
Katy Omnibus
Kidnapped
Watership Down
The Girl Guide Handbook (a mixture of stories, easy recipes and how to pass some badges!)

LCoy Thu 06-Aug-20 10:44:18

A lot of Jane Eyre