Gransnet forums

Books/book club

A book for my Grandmother - recommendations please.

(65 Posts)
FannyCornforth Sat 17-Oct-20 06:20:29

Hello everyone
My Nan, who is 96, has recently been in hospital and is currently in a care home (hopefully she will be going home soon, but it's all up in the air, of course).
She is currently in 'quarantine'.
My Nan is usually incredibly strong and resilient but at the moment she is naturally feeling very down.
I'm going t

My plan is to send her an orchid and also a book - can you help me choose one please?
She used to be a teacher. She loves animals and nature, and she is really missing her garden.
I think that I'm going to go down the nature route, but fiction ideas and indeed any ideas are also very welcome.
Most importantly the book needs to be uplifting and inspirational.
Any thoughts please?
Thank you very much!brewflowers

Eloethan Sun 31-Jan-21 14:23:38

Crooked Heart, Lissa Evans - I think this book has everything - it is a funny, touching and ultimately optimistic story about a boy evacuated from London during the second world war. Very easy to read and, in my view, a real page turner.

Auntieflo Sun 31-Jan-21 14:11:12

I recently read 'Away with the Penguins'. It was a lovely read.

Tweedle24 Wed 27-Jan-21 17:36:59

Sorry,Dianalou - crossed posts.

Tweedle24 Wed 27-Jan-21 17:36:05

It is not nature themed but Richard Osman’s Thursday Murder Club might interest her, as it is set in an old people’s community and the characters are, I think, well drawn.

Dianalou Wed 27-Jan-21 17:25:06

How about Richard Osman's Thursday murder club?
Its very entertaining.

Litterpicker Wed 27-Jan-21 14:21:11

This is such a useful thread that I am adding a new post to bring it ‘up to date’! I am reading, and recommend “Entangled Life: How Make our Worlds, Change Our Minds and Shape Our Futures” by Merlin Sheldrake. Absolutely fascinating with some beautiful photos.

FannyCornforth Fri 30-Oct-20 19:08:46

Hello - just wanted to pop in and thank you all again for all of your fabulous recommendations.

My Nan is particularly enamoured with the Monty Don book; Im so glad that I didn't fall for the fox hunting diversion.

Her 'quarantine' is now over, but she is struggling as her 'inmates' aren't the most forthcoming. She is getting on with the staff though.

It's difficult because, in her own words, she's 'got nothing to fight for' (aim for, I imagine she means).
I'm at a loss for what to say to her, really, other than just listen and empathise.

Thank you again x.

FannyCornforth Tue 20-Oct-20 09:22:29

Thank you, suggestions are still welcome, C****** is coming, after all!
Thank you janeainsworth for your kind wishes.
After reading your post, I googled that exhibition. It looks fabulous.
I watched some of the virtual tour, and was delighted to see the real FC as Joan of Arc.
Hope you have a wonderful time, and don't tire too much of all the inevitable 'eye test' gags! grin
Greyduster I will look up the author you suggested.
Btw, I have just read your explanation for your username - it was charming!smile

Greyduster Sun 18-Oct-20 23:32:32

If she loves good prose and the natural world, I can heartily recommend ‘Sightlines’, a collection of essays by Kathleen Jaime. I was completely blown away by her writing. Mesmerising.

TwiceAsNice Sun 18-Oct-20 22:52:01

Sorry yourself not you predictive text

TwiceAsNice Sun 18-Oct-20 22:51:23

Thanks Froglady and Grannybags. Glad we have the same taste. I bet your granddaughter will love it but so get a copy for you self it’s a beautiful book that tugs at your heart

janeainsworth Sun 18-Oct-20 20:46:43

I’m too late to offer any suggestions, but just want to wish your Nan all the very best for a good recovery Fanny. flowers

BTW you might be interested to hear that I’ve just booked tickets to go to the Pre-Raphaelite exhibition next Thursday at the Bowes Museum, in Barnard Castle.
How’s that for a destination grin

FannyCornforth Sun 18-Oct-20 18:54:55

Hello, and thank you everyone!
I've sent my Nan three books.

1. The Monty Don garden one
2. The 1930s JoJo Moyes one
3. The one by the Queen's Dresser.
SpanglerMy Nan loves Her Majesty. Simply because they are of the same vintage.

Thanks again for all of your suggestions, I could have sent her many more, and I will be checking them out xxx

honeyrose Sun 18-Oct-20 13:06:39

I’ve just read Bill Bryson’s book “Notes from a Small Island” and loved it. It was set in the 1970’s and is entertaining, amusing and well-paced. Do I sound like a book critic?! I’ll be saying “richly satisfying” next, but it is!
I read another of his books a few years ago about the Appalachian Trail in the USA - that was great too. There’s always humour and intelligence to his books and he’s very well travelled. I find it difficult to recommend books, I must say, but I always like to receive recommendations myself so I have noted down some of the Gransnetters recommendations for future use!

Spangler Sun 18-Oct-20 12:41:12

For an easy, dip in, dip out read, have a look at Angela Kelly's: "The Other Side of the Coin."
Kelly is the Liverpool docker's daughter who became the Queen's dresser.

It was bought for me as tease last Christmas. A tease because I'm no monarchist, but it's an enjoyable read whether you are a monarchist or not.

Lucca Sun 18-Oct-20 12:40:24

Agree. Jojo moyes Books are a good read.

Lucca Sun 18-Oct-20 12:39:04

FannyCornforth

My aunty told my Nan that FSoG was very poorly written.

It is. I managed one chapter out of sheer curiosity.

Lucca Sun 18-Oct-20 12:37:53

chelseababy

How about one of these? About a school inspector in Yorkshire dales. "Uproarious and touching in turns"

Hmmm....amusing at first but it’d only only recommend one book, I heard him twice do his speech and it wore a bit thin after a while !

Puzzler61 Sun 18-Oct-20 12:32:51

Back page info.

Puzzler61 Sun 18-Oct-20 12:32:21

Oops forgot photo’s. It’s called The Dear Watson’s.

Puzzler61 Sun 18-Oct-20 12:31:34

FannyC some of my family are in the Black Country and this book is set around Dudley, Birmingham, Bromsgrove and Worcester.
It’s a true story set in the time before and during the Second World War. (I enjoyed it immensely).
The main character, Gladys is an amazing, strong woman.
It’s just under £10 for paperback version from Amazon.

trisher Sun 18-Oct-20 11:51:12

Hope you find something FannyCornforth we are from Yorkshire and I've still got some of the books written in the 70s or so about traditions and the dialect. Mum and her sister would have big telephone discussions about things the books brought back to them. Your Nan is lucky to have such a thoughtful GD.

FannyCornforth Sun 18-Oct-20 10:53:34

Thanks trisher. That's a good shout.
She is from the Black Country.
She is incredibly knowledgeable about the area and has written a bit herself.
But I will definitely have a look. I buy a lot of second hand books on Amazon, it's a really good resource.

trisher Sun 18-Oct-20 10:33:15

I wonder where you are living and where your gran is from. Both my mum and my aunt in later years loved old second hand books about the area they came from. They swapped them with each other. It gave them an opportunity to remember traditions and things they had experienced. You can google second hand books and the place she is from. There are some amazing old books about which might entertain her.

FannyCornforth Sun 18-Oct-20 10:22:15

My aunty told my Nan that FSoG was very poorly written.