Gransnet forums

Books/book club

The Thursday Murder Club

(122 Posts)
bonfirebirthday Tue 27-Oct-20 13:26:06

Has anyone read Richard Osman's 'The Thursday Murder Club'? I found a little disappointing after the hype surrounding the publication.

baubles Mon 28-Dec-20 08:36:12

I’m finding it just fine for these strange days around the strange Christmas we’ve been having. It’s easy to read and has some nicely observed moments,I had no expectations before I started though.

lemsip Mon 28-Dec-20 08:42:27

very disappointed! Bought it when first released, it's stayed on the book shelf, just can't get into it after several tries!

Witzend Mon 28-Dec-20 08:56:03

It was on my Christmas list, until I realised that it was still only available in hardback.
I don’t do hardbacks or very fat books - too heavy/awkward to read in bed. If I really want to read something, I get it on the kindle.

Might buy it once it’s out in paperback. Publishers so often release anything likely to be a good seller in HB in the run up to Christmas - they make more money on them. The book section of my local Asda changed from entirely PB to HB well before Christmas.

lemongrove Mon 28-Dec-20 09:33:39

Just received this as a Christmas present, but also had three other books which I want to read first.Although I had heard of it, have no expectations of it ( didn’t know Osman wrote, but then most actors/presenters/ celebrities seem to now.)
Thank you to all for not giving out any spoilers.

Maggiemaybe Mon 28-Dec-20 09:50:08

I’m surprised by the many bad reviews. I enjoyed it. I wasn’t expecting great literature, but found it an amusing, well observed book, and I’ll definitely be buying the sequel.

Maggiemaybe Mon 28-Dec-20 09:56:54

I’m also surprised that anyone would decide whether to read it or not based on a few reviews on here. We all have different tastes, don’t we? I hear there are people who think Catcher in the Rye is a work of genius and that some readers actually enjoyed Captain Corelli and his ruddy Mandolin......

libra10 Mon 28-Dec-20 09:57:52

I read it before being published, and found it to be very enjoyable, with a quirky sense of humour. It was great to see senior citizens being written about in such a positive way, beating the police at their own game.

The story was well plotted, although it went on longer than I expected. Will definitely read Richard Osman's next book.

obag Fri 01-Jan-21 11:37:28

I was not sure what to expect, but I really loved it.

Harris27 Fri 01-Jan-21 11:40:03

Bought it for my sister hope she likes it?after all it got good reviews. My son has read it and thought it was ok.

sue421 Sat 02-Jan-21 12:50:09

I was disappointed but I do think it will make a great film!

Chardy Sat 02-Jan-21 15:33:57

I enjoy RO House of Games, so bought it on Audible. Didn't enjoy it at all.

MawBe Sat 02-Jan-21 15:35:53

I was a bit snooty about this - until I read it!
Cleverly written and loads of red herrings to keep the reader on their toes!

Jaxjacky Sat 02-Jan-21 15:40:28

It’s one of the three books I’ve been given, I need to read my library books first, I’ll save the new ones for a treat.

Hellogirl1 Sat 02-Jan-21 15:41:43

I was just about to order it in paperback, then noticed the price, £20.35, think I`ll wait a while!

Maggiemaybe Sat 02-Jan-21 15:58:55

It’s only £7.49 in hardback now on Amazon, Hellogirl. I usually buy from Abe Books, but it’s still quite a lot dearer on there.

Kupari45 Tue 12-Jan-21 16:43:28

This was a christmas gift- which I finally read this week.
So disappointed with it, I really struggled to finish it.
After all the hype about it, I was so looking forward to reading it. What a let down.

PippaZ Tue 12-Jan-21 17:02:02

I enjoyed it. Apparently "cosy" murder stories are good for us as the process of finding the murderer or murderers and coming to a conclusion is a balance in these uncertain times.

TerriBull Tue 12-Jan-21 17:11:40

Kupari I agree with you, I put it down half way through to start Troubled Blood, with the intention of going back to it, but after finishing that found myself thinking, just can't be bothered to pick it up again, found it massively over hyped didn't enjoy the part that I read anyway.

Whitewavemark2 Tue 12-Jan-21 17:12:15

I also enjoyed it. Not exactly mentally taxing? but It was a cosy murder and the sort I turn to when in that sort of mood. I love murder mysteries from the “golden age” like Christie, but loads of others.

Calendargirl Tue 12-Jan-21 17:56:58

I’m on about 157 on my library waiting list for this.

PippaZ Tue 12-Jan-21 18:08:20

I have a list Whitewave smile It's the same as watching Midsummer when you can take another dreadful announcement.

I agree it wasn't taxing but it was nicely clever (i.e., your not exactly taxing) and I thought the characters were well and amusingly drawn. The interaction was true to the age-group too whereas it can sometimes be very patronising as if older people give up on normal life and the past that made them who they are.

Gingster Tue 12-Jan-21 18:14:12

I was really looking forward to readingg this. I asked for it for a Christmas gift. I Love Richard Osman and think he is clever and witty. Not so this book, IMO. I too gave up after trying several times. Very dull, and slow.

Susan56 Wed 13-Jan-21 09:38:47

I really enjoyed it.

WOODMOUSE49 Wed 13-Jan-21 09:52:53

Guardian reviewed summed it up as: amiable if undemanding cosy caper. grin That's it to a T.

PippaZ Wed 13-Jan-21 10:11:28

Totally agree Woodmouse.