Gransnet forums

Books/book club

The Thursday Murder Club

(122 Posts)
bonfirebirthday Tue 27-Oct-20 13:26:06

Has anyone read Richard Osman's 'The Thursday Murder Club'? I found a little disappointing after the hype surrounding the publication.

Flora5 Wed 13-Jan-21 10:34:15

Love a book club ...how does this one work ?
Can I join

trisher Wed 13-Jan-21 12:47:38

This was a Christmas present. I thought it was OK. Some quite amusing bits and a few mysteries besides the murder. Great literature it isn't and I thought somehow that it was a bit formulaic and obviously written to start a whole series of books.. I think it's possibly also targetted at our age group and that narked me. Have we suddenly become an untapped resource is the pink pound about to be replaced by the grey one?

Washerwoman Fri 15-Jan-21 16:38:12

I thought it was OK but nearly didn't finish it as half way through got distracted by other projects.
But am I missing something ? Did it explain why and how the friend Penny killed the young man buried in the grave.Presumably because she was so upset he had murdered his girlfriend.But did Penny have a personal connection to her.Did I miss that ?I found that bit implausible,Now I'm wondering if I read it right.?

mokryna Sun 07-Feb-21 20:39:53

Have you read the book and listened to the abridged version on BBC 4?
I was disappointed to find out that the last conversation, Elisabeth had with Penny had been missed out, which I felt changed her character. I was quite shocked as to how the author could think that a best friend, would say what was said to her dying friend, but he had decided the character was to be righteous and hard, leaving this section out in the audiobook changed her to be more humane.
What do others think?

Jumblygran Sun 07-Feb-21 20:53:17

Without giving anything away. I found the light hearted nature of the book incongruous with the couple of shocking things that happen. Yes it was formulaic but that can be enjoyable. I found the plot inconsistent with a mix of light hearted and too serious.

Urmstongran Sun 07-Feb-21 21:49:39

I’m reading it at the moment. It’s okay. Makes me smile in places and it’s a nice gentle read. I’m around page 200 so about a third of the book left. I think it could do with some serious editing though - it’s a bit ‘waffly’.
?

grannyrebel7 Sun 07-Feb-21 22:44:39

I thought the ending was a bit of a let down.

littleflo Mon 08-Feb-21 09:55:21

I agree that the ending let it down. I found it confusing. Can anyone pm me as to why the last person was killed and the mystery surrounding the extra set of bones.

Chardy Mon 08-Feb-21 10:55:06

mokryna - I used to love listening to R4 abridged books until I got Audible. To read the average book aloud takes approximately 12 hours. BBC reduce that to 1.25 hours. No thanks

littleflo Mon 08-Feb-21 11:05:35

@Washerwoman that was exactly my thoughts. Thank you. I only listened to the radio version. Maybe the book explains it more clearly.

Tangerine Mon 08-Feb-21 11:08:19

I am soon going to read it with a Book Group.

Riverwalk Mon 08-Feb-21 11:10:16

I thought the last 25% of the book was a farce - so many truly shocking deaths and revelations of historical deaths!

chelseababy Mon 08-Feb-21 13:08:59

I heard if on Radio 4. Not impressed.

twinnytwin Mon 08-Feb-21 13:25:57

I'm in the middle of reading it on my iPad through my local library. I'm really enjoying it, and often read parts of it to my long suffering husband as I find the language he uses very funny. I even laugh out loud sometimes. Each to their own I guess. Usually I love a good murder - Vera especially.

Tricia247uk Mon 08-Feb-21 13:35:50

I started listening to it on BBC Sounds but turned it off before the first episode had ended. I found it banal and won't be listening again.

On a more positive note I've begun re-reading ASuitable Boy. It's been on my bookshelf, unread, for years; I never managed to get past the first few pages. Now, though, due to library closures, I thought I'd try again and am making steady progress. And no, I haven't seen the tv series-I might watch it when I've finished the book

Beswitched Thu 25-Mar-21 21:55:13

I really enjoyed it. It was funny, tongue in cheek and encompassed lots of the tropes of the cosy murder mystery genre.
That's really all I expected of the book. It's not meant to be great literature or cutting edge. Just a pleasant reassuring and humorous read.

Calendargirl Mon 03-May-21 19:28:49

Just finished it.

Hmm, it comes under ‘Crime’ at my library, but not my idea of a crime novel.

Thought it went off towards the end, I found it quite a muddle really, not particularly humerous as some reviewers said.

Not impressed.

lemongrove Mon 03-May-21 19:31:48

Returned to the thread here to say I think the book is an absolute joy!
No, it isn’t a typical crime novel, but it’s not intended to be.
What Beswitched says.?

Jaxjacky Mon 03-May-21 20:00:25

I agree with the Guardian description woodmouse good bedtime reading.

Sarnia Tue 04-May-21 08:44:25

I have read this book and enjoyed it but it won't be sitting on my bookshelf for a second read sometime in the future. It isn't a thriller in the true sense of the word. If you want a gritty, in-depth thriller then don't read The Thursday Murder Club. It is a few hours of escapism, that's all.

Alishka Thu 20-May-21 10:30:19

This morning I caught up with the Fi and Jane podcast Fortunately. They had R.O. as their guest and they talked about this book. I'll look out for it. Thanks.

Chardy Thu 20-May-21 11:59:10

Richard Osman Author of the Year
www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-57084973
I think he also said the film rights had been sold and he's got a deal for 3 more books in this series.
Mmm for me, 60% hype, 40% talent

DillytheGardener Thu 20-May-21 12:04:21

I was hookwinked. Here was me thinking this was a club group for murderess grannies! ? Will have to check out the book though ?

Witzend Thu 20-May-21 12:14:34

I’m still waiting for it to come out in a cheaper paperback - the sort I can get for £4.50 in Asda, £4.99 on the Kindle, or 3 for a fiver in The Works.?

I read too fast and get through too many to pay full price for anything, and I hate hardbacks.

Witzend Sun 23-May-21 10:30:03

Finally found it for £4.50 in Asda!
And enjoying it so far. Of course it’s a light read, but there’s nothing wrong with that. Different and quite funny IMO.