Gransnet forums

Books/book club

Books you've enjoyed reading with your grandchildren and would recommend

(33 Posts)
GeminiJen Mon 16-Nov-20 13:45:16

During lockdown, we loved The Ickabog, by J K Rowling. Initially published online for families to enjoy during lockdown, it's now available as a hardback. It captured the imagination of my grandchildren so much that they drew and submitted entries for the international artwork competition. They didn't win...but have loved revisiting the book this week and seeing the illustrations which did.
Set in the mythical kingdom of Cornucopia, this is a brilliantly original fairy tale, as you would expect from J K Rowling, about the power of hope, friendship and kindness, where good ultimately wins over evil.

Bridie22 Sun 07-Mar-21 14:36:16

Mr.Stink by David Willams.,
The Ickabog. Jk Rowling
Both lovely books .

BBbevan Sun 07-Mar-21 14:44:23

My GDs absolute favourite were Flower Fairies books .

Tea3 Sun 07-Mar-21 14:45:06

Good old Enid Blyton, she knew how to write a good tale. Mr T and I were tickled by how the Faraway Tree has been PC’d. But I was pleased or our grandchild’s woke parents might have objected. Sadly the Wishing Chair didn’t make the cut because of the name of one of the characters. I downloaded a sample of The Ickabog on to my Kindle to see if it would be our next read after The Faraway Tree. I’m afraid it didn’t appeal.

TerriBull Sun 07-Mar-21 14:53:17

Peace at Last, The Gruffalo and The Gruffalo's child, Room on The Broom, grandson was obsessed with Stick Man at one time and asked for that every time he came to ours. Granddaughter loved Alice in Wonderland. They both liked The Minpins a beautifully illustrated Roald Dahl I'd kept from when my children were young. Slinky Malinki, about a cat who steals things from the neighbourhood, Dibble and Dabble (two ducks) Bad Mood Bear another I kept. We're Going on a Bear Hunt. Night Before Christmas at Christmas time. Those were the ones I can remember I think there were others.

annodomini Sun 07-Mar-21 14:59:42

The Elephant and the Bad Baby, by Elfrida Vipoint, illustrations by Raymond Briggs. Toddlers love all the repetitions.

TwiceAsNice Sun 07-Mar-21 16:00:58

Black Beauty. One granddaughter especially likes horses and was very sad when Ginger was mistreated and the horses died in the stable but still enjoyed it

Blossoming Sun 07-Mar-21 16:08:20

Isabella Tree’s ‘When We Went Wild’, gorgeous illustrations too.