Gransnet forums

Books/book club

Best Books 2020

(72 Posts)
rosecarmel Sun 29-Nov-20 16:59:54

Old books or newly released, which were your favourites?

1 - The Salt Path - Raynor Winn

My favourite best book of the year-

2 - One Life - Megan Rapinoe

I picked up a signed copy .. ?

3 - Untamed - Glennon Doyle

4 - Inside Out - Demi Moore

5 - Maid - Stephanie Land

optimist Tue 01-Dec-20 10:27:46

PLOT 29 by Allan Jenkins

sunny3 Tue 01-Dec-20 10:27:47

The Beekeeper of Aleppo
Where the Crawdads Sing

Lookout01 Tue 01-Dec-20 10:36:25

'The Tattooist of Auschwitz' was amazing. I felt I was there and also, like others, 'Where the Crawdads Sing'

Whitewavemark2 Tue 01-Dec-20 10:42:57

Loved “The Salt Path” largely because we have walked it ourselves over the years and of course my home village on the North Coast of Cornwall is very near.

Not so keen on the sequel.

“The Mirror and the Light” Hilary Mantel saw me through the first lock down.

Now reading “Islands of Mercy” Rose Tremain as well as

“Love and other Thought Experiments” Sophie Ward

Quaver22 Tue 01-Dec-20 10:50:58

Olive Kitteridge Elizabeth Strout
Olive Again. Elizabeth Strout
American Dirt. Jeanine Cummins
Writers and Lovers. Lily King
Summer water. Sarah Moss

Quaver22 Tue 01-Dec-20 10:51:42

Should be Summerwater.

Lilactime75 Tue 01-Dec-20 11:07:08

Lots of books there which I loved. Also Away With The Penguins.

Lupin Tue 01-Dec-20 11:26:13

The Unseen by Roy Jacobsen. 1st of a trilogy and I am looking forward to reading the other books.

The Salt Path - Raynor Wynn. They did the best they could in the painful circumstances they found themselves in and it has led them on to better things. I found myself so angry with the way the justice system treated them.

Am now reading The Forty Rules of Love by Elif Shafak. A most unusual book and I am loving it.

lucky77 Tue 01-Dec-20 11:36:14

House of Glass by Hadley Freeman - the true story and secrets of a twentieth-century Jewish family.

A moving memoir following the Glass siblings throughout the course of the twentieth-century as they each make their own bid for survival, House of Glass explores assimilation, identity and home - issues that are deeply relevant today.

This deeply moving book is beautifully written - they endured such adversity but came through stronger because of it, worth a read.

Minibookworm Tue 01-Dec-20 11:39:52

I’ve enjoyed the three books by Australian author Jane Harper.

LuluD Tue 01-Dec-20 11:51:59

Another vote for Where the Crawdads sing and Three Hours from me.
Also loved Once upon a River by Diane Settefield and The Foundling by Stacey Halls....

winifred01 Tue 01-Dec-20 11:55:25

American dirt,thought provoking, not an easy read Gave up on ThursdayMurder club, should know better, celebs. rarely good writers

travelsafar Tue 01-Dec-20 12:01:57

Loved the book Our House. I just couldn't put it down.

Kim19 Tue 01-Dec-20 12:02:57

A. McCall Smith's Quiet side of Passion did nicely for me. A nice warm and gentle easy read compared to my other selections.

knspol Tue 01-Dec-20 12:24:42

American Dirt, made me see things in a different light. Shuggie Bain, harrowing but well worth a read. IQ84, 3 books and a long read but more then worth the effort. Say Nothing a real eye opener as to the Troubles in Northern Ireland and those responsible.

Daisend1 Tue 01-Dec-20 12:27:36

Top of my list is 'Apple Tree Yard' author Louise Doughty It was made into a tv series which I recorded and never tire of watching.
Crime combined with politics then look no further than author James Patterson. I have several of his works stored on my e reader.

Paperbackwriter Tue 01-Dec-20 12:32:22

I loved The Great Godden by Meg Rosoff. It's supposed to be a Young Adult book but is perfect for any age. Reminded me a bit of The Greengage Summer by Rumer Godden. Brilliant (and also quite short)

jmsburnham Tue 01-Dec-20 12:40:34

American Dirt - Jeanie Cummins
Sleepwalker - JosephKnox
Before She Knew Him - Peter Swanson
Hamnet - Maggie O'Farrell

JanT8 Tue 01-Dec-20 13:16:04

Where the Crawdads Sing
Elinor Oliphant is Completely Fine

ToadsMum Tue 01-Dec-20 13:23:13

Exciting Times by Naoise Dolan
10 minutes and Thirty Eight Seconds by Elif Shafak
The Constant Rabbit by Jasper Fforde
I am not usually into Crime Fiction as such but lockdown and a recommendation led me to The Murder of Roger Ackroyd by Agatha Christie. Excellent.
Then an online event with Ann Cleeves - her latest The Darkest Evening gives a lot of back story for Vera (which I had only known from TV) and is a good winter read. Plus the Richard Osman book - which is not quite as dark.

LadyO Tue 01-Dec-20 13:27:48

If you’re a dog lover and like a good laugh, this is fantastic - Olive, Mabel &Me by Andrew Cotter. If you’ve followed his little YouTube videos with his gorgeous Labradors then you’ll enjoy this!

chrisinnorfolk Tue 01-Dec-20 13:39:33

Mine are books I've read with my book group mainly-

The Gustav Sonata - Rose Tremain. I've read several of hers, all of which I liked, but this is one is exceptional.
All The Light We Cannot See- Anthony Duerr - beautifully written with wonderful characters.
The Reader - Bernhard Schlink - caused some disagreement in the group, but a fascinating read.
And another mention for The Tattoist of Auschwitz.

Looking forward to this year's readings which will include Where the Crawdads Sing.

Ladyleftfieldlover Tue 01-Dec-20 13:50:46

I read a lot of books [I belong to a Book Club] and these are my favourites from the past year:

‘Piranesi’ by Susanna Clarke. Absolutely wonderful. I am waiting for the sequel to ‘Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell’
‘The Mirror and the Light’ by Hilary Mantell. A tour de force.
Lady in Waiting by Lady Glenconner. A hoot, but often very sad.
‘The Other Bennet sister’ by Janice Hadlow. The best of all the Austen sequels.
‘Film Stars don’t die in Liverpool’ by Peter Turner. A brilliant true story.
‘Hamnet’ by Maggie O’Farrell. Moving and beautifully written.
‘Between the Stops: The View of my life from the top of the No. 12 Bus’ by Sandy Toksvig. The sort of book I wish I could write.
‘The Neapolitan Quartet’ by Elena Ferrante. A real discovery.
‘The Midnight Library’ by Matt Haig. Another book I wish I could write.
‘On Chapel Sands’ by Laura Cummings. A real detective story.
‘Motherwell’ by Deborah Orr. Very moving.
‘To the end of the World’ by Rupert Everett. This is beautifully written and hilarious. Everett is a proper writer and doesn’t use a ghost writer.
‘Patchwork, A Life among Clothes’ by Claire Wilcox. I love the V&A and this lady is the Senior Curator for Fashion. I am listening to an online talk given by her next week.
‘A Promised Land’ by Barak Obama. I have barely started this book but already I am learning so much about the American electoral system.

Anniel Tue 01-Dec-20 14:12:53

Just wanted to say how much I loved Elizabeth Strout’s books. She is a great writer.

Zaiba78 Tue 01-Dec-20 15:07:56

The Vanishing Half - Brit Bennett
Twins, inseparable as children, ultimately choose to live in two very different worlds: one black and one white

Read with my book club