Gransnet forums

Books/book club

*2021 - 50 BOOKS FOR THE YEAR*

(860 Posts)
TerriBull Fri 01-Jan-21 08:09:40

Welcome contributors to a new reading year! Some of us may achieve the 50 book bench mark, even surpass it, some may not, I didn't last year, that really isn't important. This is a thread for those who would like to keep a running tally of their reads over the year. Please come and share your thoughts, recommendations and even dislikes of the books you are reading.

As in previous years, all types of reading and listening matter can be included, fiction, non fiction, audio, biographies, memoirs even children's books if a trip down memory lane is your preference.

Here's wishing all those who wish to partake enjoyable reading for the coming year.

Greyduster Tue 02-Mar-21 11:25:43

I didn’t manage anything like fifty books last year, but winter lockdown has upped my total this year. No doubt when the weather gets better and the evenings get lighter, it will drop off a bit?. It’s not a race, but it’s nice to see what others are reading and talk about what you are reading.

Blinko Tue 02-Mar-21 15:57:49

Nannan2

Im a fast reader, but that would be ALMOST a book a wk in a year, not actually doable for most, is it?

I just know Val McDermid must be getting richer by the hour, I've read so many of hers since the first one, a few weeks ago. Seven or eight at least.

nana5852 Tue 02-Mar-21 16:55:15

Been a bit slack about posting on here. Like another member of this thread (above) I have been reading avidly. Discovered so many additional pages on here I wondered if I could include it as one of my books.
Book 5 The Peppered Moth , Margaret Drabble. In my opinion she can do no wrong. Loved this.
Book 6 What she Left , T.R. Richmond . Absorbing psychological Thriller....rattled through it in no time.
Book 6 Precious Lives, Margaret Forster. A follow up to Hidden Lives and just as enjoyable. I live within driving distance of Carlisle, have working class origins and am nosey though I think without those ‘qualities’ it would appeal to many readers, she writes so well!
Books 7,8,9,10 and 11. I have binge read the Cazalet saga. Not my usual sort of thing but I gobbled it up. Set in the war era and full of interesting people. The women, regardless of class are all constrained by their gender and constraints caused by the war going on ,somehow had parallels with our limits in lockdown.
I fancy something completely different so will be back on here, I hope in the next couple of weeks, rather than presenting another list. Happy reading to all!

Sara1954 Tue 02-Mar-21 17:29:33

Nana
Hidden Lives by Margaret Forster is a wonderful book, although I lived in a totally different area, it seemed that she was writing about my childhood in many ways, loved it.
I thought Precious Lives was somehow too personal, I wasn’t so keen.
‘A life in the Day’ by her husband Hunter Davies is a great insight into their lives.

nana5852 Tue 02-Mar-21 18:01:58

Thanks for the tip Sara. I may well seek out the Davies book.I think good writers, and she certainly is one, enable us to connect. I felt a little like that about tha Cazalet books.

grannypiper Tue 02-Mar-21 18:32:24

3 days after we first went in to lockdown i realised it would be a long time before i set foot in the Library again, so i gave in and bought a kindle. I was pretty sure i wouldn't like it. Eleven months and 137 books later i can honestly say i love it. I have found authors that are new to me, Joy Ellis being one of my favourite's.

bonji Tue 02-Mar-21 19:02:39

Just finished latest book Little Beach Street Bakery by Jenny Colgan. Certainly not a demanding read but I enjoyed it. I read just for pleasure and relaxation in my precious retirement years and this was just a ‘nice comfy book’ to spend time with. DH says all I read is ‘trashy fiction’ but the books suit me so that is what I read! Jenny Colgan is one of my favourite authors.

Musicgirl Tue 02-Mar-21 22:40:40

#15 was Why We Eat (Too Much) by Dr. Andrew Jenkinson. This was a very interesting book by a bariatric surgeon dispelling many myths behind weight loss with science. It was quite a heavy read at times and I must admit to skipping some of the data and tables as it was too much for my poor brain. It will be a very undemanding read for me next, that’s for certain.

jenniewren Tue 02-Mar-21 22:53:03

#18 The Confessions of Frannie Langton by Sara Collins. Very good.
#19 Ethan Frome by Edith Wharton. This was an audio book - I haven’t listened to an audio book for years as I find that my mind wanders too much when I’m listening rather than reading but I enjoyed this whilst cross stitching.

jenniewren Tue 02-Mar-21 22:55:26

bonji, I love Jenny Colgan too. I’m currently reading her latest, Five Hundred Miles From You ?

Callistemon Tue 02-Mar-21 22:57:19

I've just finished The Fire Blossom by Sarah Lark about early European settlement in New Zealand and have started the sequel Fires of Change.
They have been translated from German by an American translator so the style is slightly clunky with some inappropriate American terminology for the time and place. However, I'm finding them interesting especially the researched interactions with Maori people.

The same author wrote The Land of the Long White Cloud series also about early European settlement in New Zealand.

Musicgirl Wed 03-Mar-21 12:50:39

#16 was an easy read, Ellie and the Harp Maker by Hazel Prior. It is a feel good book, in the style of Rachel Joyce, set on Exmoor about a young woman, with low self esteem and a bullying husband, who meets an innocent, high functioning autistic harp maker. Although there were no real surprises, it was very enjoyable and satisfying and l enjoyed it very much.

SueDonim Wed 03-Mar-21 14:43:50

No 10 The Catcher in the Rye - JD Salinger.

LCoy Wed 03-Mar-21 17:44:02

Was able to read 64 books last year. Looking to break the 75-mark in 2021

Calendargirl Thu 04-Mar-21 15:17:40

#14. The Jewel That Was Ours by Colin Dexter.

Juno56 Thu 04-Mar-21 15:48:46

I'm on a bit of a fantasy fest at present, a favourite genre.
#14 The Invisible Library Genevieve Cogman - I enjoyed this very much. It is the first in a series so I shall be revisiting this particular fantasy world. #15 Belgareth the Sorcerer David and Leigh Eddings and I am currently reading #16 Polgara the Sorceress by the same authors. I have read David Eddings' The Belgariad and The Mallorean (ten books in all) multiple times, they are my favourite books of the fantasy genre. Belgareth and Polgara are sort of prequels being a 'history' of the events and people leading up to the Belgariad.

jenniewren Fri 05-Mar-21 11:52:22

#20 Five Hundred Miles From You by Jenny Colman. Enjoyable if predictable chick lit, good escapism.
Juno56 I love the Invisible Library series ?

Musicgirl Fri 05-Mar-21 15:39:41

#17, another quick, easy read, A Promise of Ankles by Alexander McCall Smith. It is in his 44, Scotland Street series, which l have enjoyed since the first book. A lovely, whimsical book with the usual cast of thousands.

grannyrebel7 Fri 05-Mar-21 15:48:18

Just thinking about starting on some Agatha Christie books or maybe Daphne du Maurier. Feel like I need a change of genre.

foxie48 Sat 06-Mar-21 16:57:11

I've only just found GN so very late to this thread. I've been reading rather a lot of late so my 2021 list is quite long. Thanks for some suggestions, definitely going to download Tidelands, I haven't read anything by PG for ages having binged on her historical books some years back, also Crown of Blood.
Books so far this year in no particular order:
1/2.Half a Yellow Sun and Americanah both by Chimanda, Ngozi Adichie and are excellent
3. The Dutch House, Ann Patchett, recommend
4. Memoirs of a Geisha Girl, Arthur Golden I now know what a geisha does, off style at time though.
Hamnet, Maggie O'Farrell, loved it
5. I feel Bad about My Neck, Nora Ephron, not as funny or cutting as I'd hoped.
6. Those Who are loved Victoria Hislop interesting story about the civil war in Greece, not the strongest writing though
7. Beekeeper of Aleppo, Christy Lefteri, loved it

I've got Circe, Madeline Miller and The Cutting Stone on the book shelf so pleased others have enjoyed them.

TerriBull Sat 06-Mar-21 17:46:04

Welcome to Gransnet Foxie48, and to this thread I hope you enjoy your time here.

foxie48 Sat 06-Mar-21 19:51:44

Thanks, starting to find my way around and always pleased to get suggestions for reading!

Sara1954 Sat 06-Mar-21 23:08:19

Book 10
The Motion of the Body Through Space
Lionel Shriver

This is classic Shriver, sharp, witty, clever dialogue, and extremely well written characters.
I thought at the beginning, that I wasn’t going to be interested enough in the story to really enjoy it as much as her previous books, but gradually I was drawn in.

It’s the tale of a man, who having been forced into early retirement, takes up triathlons. Not gripping you yet? Well there are many characters ranging between horrible, and totally obnoxious. Even our leading man and his wife aren’t sympathetic characters, but gradually you become involved with them, and towards the end you’re really hoping for a happy ending.

I think I know a lot more about triathlons than I ever wanted to know, but Lionel Shriver has managed to make it entertaining.

foxie48 Sun 07-Mar-21 10:38:44

Oh I like a Shriver! Actually re-read We need to talk about Kevin last year and it was as chilling!

Sara1954 Sun 07-Mar-21 10:55:04

Foxie
I know, it certainly makes for very uncomfortable reading, but brilliantly done.