Gransnet forums

Books/book club

*2021 - 50 BOOKS FOR THE YEAR*

(860 Posts)
TerriBull Fri 01-Jan-21 08:09:40

Welcome contributors to a new reading year! Some of us may achieve the 50 book bench mark, even surpass it, some may not, I didn't last year, that really isn't important. This is a thread for those who would like to keep a running tally of their reads over the year. Please come and share your thoughts, recommendations and even dislikes of the books you are reading.

As in previous years, all types of reading and listening matter can be included, fiction, non fiction, audio, biographies, memoirs even children's books if a trip down memory lane is your preference.

Here's wishing all those who wish to partake enjoyable reading for the coming year.

Qwerty Fri 26-Mar-21 20:38:59

Sara1954 I preferred "The Librarian" too. My husband enjoyed it as well whereas he wouldn't like "The Grandmothers". I'm currently reading Mark Mills "The Whaleboat House". It's not grabbing me as much as some of his others but I'll persevere.

Qwerty Fri 26-Mar-21 20:43:58

I enjoyed "Troubled Blood", though I thought it could have done with a bit of editing as it seemed over long. I always enjoy the Robert Galbraith books and I like the televised versions too.

SueDonim Fri 26-Mar-21 22:12:12

#Pine by Francine Toon. It’s a modern-day gothic horror novel. I don’t normally choose scary books but my DD gave it to me for Christmas.

Sara1954 Fri 26-Mar-21 22:22:53

SueDonin
I really enjoyed Pine, It was something a bit different, very sad, but I liked the strange little community she put together.

Musicgirl Sun 28-Mar-21 14:02:14

#25 was an easy read: A Poison Tree by J. E. Mayhew, which I just what I needed at the end of a very tiring term. It was an enjoyable police procedural and is the first of a series of which I might well read another in the future.

AliBeeee Sun 28-Mar-21 14:12:51

My last few are
9. The Hours Before Dawn by Celia Fremlin. Written about 50 years ago, but still a very relatable story of the impact of having a young baby who just doesn’t sleep at night.
10. Juliet, Naked by Nick Hornby. Okay
11. A Possible Life by Sebastian Faulks. This is really 5 novellas in one book, 3 were okay, but the other 2 were pretty poor.
12. Holding by Graham Norton. Fluffy, readable, nonsense.
13. The Secret Life of Cows by Rosamund Young. Excellent, who knew!

I also started, but gave up on, Motherwell by Deborah Orr. As someone the same age, who grew up in the same area, the early descriptions were all very relatable, but I just couldn’t get into her writing. I very rarely give up on a book so that was disappointing.

I was about to start Olive, Again by Elizabeth Strout, by I think I will reread Olive Kitteridge again first as it’s a few years since I read it and I remember I really enjoyed it.

Whitewavemark2 Sun 28-Mar-21 14:14:09

I’ve posted this on books to read thread but it doesn’t go so am putting this on here instead.

“The Smell of Summer Grass” by Adam Nicholson.

A lovely, lovely book. I’m halfway through and my goodness it makes me smile. Made nicer by the fact that it is my neck of the woods.

As I said on other post, I love the description of horses bottoms!

mrstin Sun 28-Mar-21 14:18:49

Started Shuggie Bain a few days ago, fantastic book but not happy reading.

Greyduster Sun 28-Mar-21 15:36:15

I read it earlier in the year, mrstin and felt as if I had been put through a wringer. A brilliant debut novel but not for the faint hearted.

Bridie22 Mon 29-Mar-21 17:40:36

Shuggie Bain, was a hard book to read, but worth every tortured word.
The Sleepover by Samantha King.... every parents nightmare when an everyday sleepover goes wrong, and the perils of the Internet.
The Muse by Jessie Burton... a complex book, about art and Spanish uprising, needed my concentration but worth it.

Hellogirl1 Mon 29-Mar-21 23:42:18

Liar wasn`t the best book I`ve ever read, but passable. 29 was The Mother and Baby Home, by Sheila Newberry, a nice light read, but enjoyable, set in the 1950s. Will be starting book 30 tomorrow, Salem Street, by Anna Jacobs. It`s the first of 5, the Gibson family saga, beginning in 1820. I`ve read all but this, the first one, but it was a while ago, so will read them all again.

Calendargirl Tue 30-Mar-21 10:26:15

#19. The Night Hawks by Elly Griffiths.

SueDonim Wed 31-Mar-21 00:25:36

#16. Giving Up The Ghost by Hilary Mantel. It’s her memoir and quite stunning.

Greyduster Thu 01-Apr-21 21:40:43

Book 16: ‘The Shortest Day’ by Colm Tiobin.
Book 17: “The Saracen’s Mark” by S.W. Perry.

TerriBull Fri 02-Apr-21 10:30:24

6 Forgive Me - Susan Lewis, first I've read of hers, it was okay, not sure I'd rush to read another.
7 The Night Hawks - Elly Griffiths, love the Ruth Galloways, sometimes more for the ongoing characters and the way EG describes the North Norfolk coastal landscape, which gave me the impetus to visit that area so those descriptions do resonate. As always enjoyable read.
8 The Midnight Library, hugely successful, glowing reviewed book, not for me sad I thought it may have been a kind of Life after Life type of novel, from the description, insomuch as the main character, whilst in the library of the title gets the chance to right the wrongs and disappointments that have occurred at various junctures of her life. It didn't engage me, I found it pretty boring and do what I always do with books that disappoint just speed read it and just glad when I reached the end.
9 Real Tigers - Mick Heron My husband, who has been urging me to read this series, loves these books about mis fit MI5 agents consigned to Slough House to see out their working life as pen pushers, I gather this genre has loads of fans, I don't think I'll become one, I didn't enjoy this book at all, I don't feel tempted to try another.
10 Not so, for Val McDermid's Karen Pirie series, having discovered these I find them much better than her other books, I really enjoy them. This latest one "Still Life" was very good.
11 A Friend of the Family Lisa Jewel, one of her early ones, it was okay, I think she has got so much better, I love a lot of her later stuff.
12 The Burning Air - Erin Kelly. Erin Kelly, one of the writers on Broadchurch no less! This was quite good, without being outstanding, psychological crime would best describe her genre.
13 The Lies You Told - Harried Tyce. I loved her debut novel. Blood Orange, which seemed to divide opinions. This follow up was quite enjoyable. Two strands to it, female barrister coming back to London with daughter after stint in New York. Focus of the book, her first legal case after her career had been put on hold, due to marriage, motherhood and relocation to the US she returns due to marriage break down, and after inheriting the house of her not very nice mother, who makes a condition in her will that the granddaughter must attend the school that her mother attended. During school run she encounters a hard core clique of school gate/pta mothers with whom she has numerous runs ins with...however that changes after a while!
14 The Red Room Nicci French. Not one of her best but not one for the bin either.
15 Little Disasters - Sarah Vaughan Again loved her debut novel "Anatomy of a Scandal. Halfway through this one, really good so far, uncomfortable subject, baby under observation at hospital with a fractured skull. Examining doctor and mother of baby good friends.

Calendargirl Sat 03-Apr-21 18:12:45

#20. The Secret Of Annexe 3 by Colin Dexter.

Hellogirl1 Sat 03-Apr-21 21:42:35

I loved Salem Street, have just started the next in the Gibson saga, High Street, book 31.

Musicgirl Sun 04-Apr-21 14:08:37

#25 was The Littlest Library by Poppy Alexander, a frothy, enjoyable light read. #26 was The Amulet by Ann Bennet, a straightforward story set in Singapore during WW2 and the year 2000. I enjoyed it very much. Sometimes a lighter book hits the spot.

jenniewren Mon 05-Apr-21 15:05:54

#26 The Mystery of Henri Pick by David Foenkinos. A translation of a French novel, chosen for my book club’s latest read. It was ok, quite quirky, but not one I’d particularly recommend.
#27 The Mermaid and Mrs Hancock by Imogen Hermes Gower. An historical novel, set in 1785-6 about a merchant, Jonah Hancock, who discovers that one of his ship’s captains has sold his ship for what appears to be a mermaid. It’s very descriptive of life in London at the end of the 18th century and, as in many historical novels at the moment, there’s a thread of magic and fantasy running through it. I enjoyed it.
#28 Fifty Fifty by Steve Cavanagh About 2 sisters on trial in New York for the murder of their father, but they are accusing each other. Gripping if gruesome in parts!
I’m going to have a change from fiction next and read I am Malala by Malala Yousafzai, about the girl who was shot by the Taliban.

Hellogirl1 Mon 05-Apr-21 21:53:37

High Street was very good, I`m enjoying re-reading this family saga. Now reading the next in the series, Ridge Hill, book 32.

Kartush Mon 05-Apr-21 22:40:36

I read over 200 books last year but am off to a slow start this year, decided to read the Outlander series by Diana Gabaldon, am up to book 8 but its a hard slog

Polarbear2 Mon 05-Apr-21 22:52:17

I’ve discovered I really enjoy Lee Child’s Jack Reacher books. Never expected to so haven’t tried before. Can’t put them down! Better late than never ?

mumstheword86 Mon 05-Apr-21 23:11:05

I am reading A Year in Provance by Peter Mayle about as its title set in France I love travel books with good stories only and have loved The Island by Victoria Hislop Amazing read
I Volunteer in a book shop that gives them away free so that they are saved from Landfill so have lots of time to browze many titles I do love a Danelle Steele sometimes and have learnt some historical facts i wouldnt have known about before she must do her research throughly Especaily The Jewels all about Russian times in history approx 100 years ago Keep looking for that good read and escape I say

Sara1954 Tue 06-Apr-21 06:36:32

Polarbear
I have just discovered the Jack Reacher books, I decided to give them a try as everyone seems to rave about then, started at book one, so I’ve got a lot to look forward to.
I didn’t expect to like them, but they are very fast paced, rather gruesome at times, but very hard to put down.

Polarbear2 Tue 06-Apr-21 09:04:36

sara1954 I had to laugh at the description of Reacher compared to Tom Cruise in the films. Still good films though too.