Gransnet forums

Books/book club

A book that has made you think long after you have finished reading it

(157 Posts)
StephLP Thu 29-Apr-21 20:58:29

We all have them - those books that stay with you. Mine would be Tuesday's With Morrie by Mitch Albom, The Vanishing Half by Britt Bennett and Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro.

lemongrove Mon 03-May-21 19:41:41

I think that in recent years Never Let Me Go, it was a harrowing read and I felt quite upset even though it’s fiction, it’s so heart breaking.
Also All The Light We Cannot See by Anthony Duerr ( set in WW2) and
Life After Life by Kate Atkinson.

Amberone Mon 03-May-21 19:51:26

'Silk and Cyanide' by Leo Marks, son of the man who ran 84 Charing Cross Road, about the code makers and breakers of SOE in WW2. At times very funny, it is very, very sad as he talks about the agents he trained, like Violette Szabo. He wrote 'The Life that I have' poem for her, to help her remember her code.

Atqui Mon 03-May-21 19:59:23

Never let me go Kaseo Isheguro.
Where the Crawdads sing

Suki70 Mon 03-May-21 20:06:09

Educated by Tara Westover.

May7 Mon 03-May-21 20:16:51

I'm another who will go with Grapes of Wrath. Recently read The Radium girls and couldn't put it out of my mind for days. It was just harrowing.

Greeneyedgirl Mon 03-May-21 20:19:46

So so many but recently our book group read JJ Moyes The Giver of Stars about the packhorse librarians in Kentucky, never heard of them, and I still think about them now. Loved most of Thomas Hardy.

reelashosser Mon 03-May-21 20:29:42

I've read A Little Life twice so far. There is cruelty in it, but love wins out, so leaves one optimistic. Likewise Poisonwood Bible. I know Why the Caged Bird Sings by May Angelou is only the first of several about her early life, and look how she turned out - again, leaves you with good feelings about the human race. I love the Outlander series for the romance, history and all the information about herbal medicine plus many other things. I love the first two of Hilary Mantel's Cromwell series so much that I can't bring myself to read the final one! All these books are imprinted on me and have read me to read and learn more, bringing so much more interest and knowledge into my life.

Sonatina7 Mon 03-May-21 20:59:00

Reality Transurfing and Tufti the High Priestess both by Russian mystic Vadim Zeland.

Urmstongran Mon 03-May-21 21:03:19

I read ‘The Candle and the Light’ last summer reelashosser you’re in for a treat! Every bit as good as Wolf Hall and Bring up the Bodies. I cried at the end, it was so poignant. Daft really because we all know how Thomas Cromwell dies but it was so well written.

Grandmajean Mon 03-May-21 21:09:38

Urmstongran

I read ‘The Candle and the Light’ last summer reelashosser you’re in for a treat! Every bit as good as Wolf Hall and Bring up the Bodies. I cried at the end, it was so poignant. Daft really because we all know how Thomas Cromwell dies but it was so well written.

Think it's "The Mirror and the Light" and it's on my list too. We have it as DH got it for Christmas. I liked "Wolf Hall" but loved "Bring up the Bodies"

dogsmother Mon 03-May-21 21:16:26

A little Life.....amazing, a lot I know find it depressing.
I Pilgrim, I’ve just read this week certainly left me thinking too although a different genre.

Sara1954 Mon 03-May-21 21:42:36

Grandmajean
I’m reading that now, I have to say I’m not enjoying it as much as the previous books.
But I like Thomas Cromwell, and knowing how it’s going to end is spoiling it for me.

jogginggirl Mon 03-May-21 21:59:16

I love many of the books suggested on here smile
I have just finished reading a book called A Man Called Ove - I absolutely loved it ?

Urmstongran Mon 03-May-21 22:12:14

‘Mirror’ of course it is Grandmajean. ?

Nana3 Mon 03-May-21 23:03:09

The Kite Runner, Khaled Hosseini.
It was chosen by a member of our book club in 2003, I don't think that I would have read it otherwise. I'm so glad I did.

Bilboben Tue 04-May-21 11:45:13

Nausea - Jean Paul Sartre
The Tin Drum - Gunter Grass

Willjac123 Tue 04-May-21 11:52:37

Simtib
Me too- A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini has probably made more impact on me than any other book I've ever read.

Kate51 Tue 04-May-21 11:56:13

We need to talk about Kevin by Lionel Shriver and the diving -bell and the butterfly by Jean-Dominique Bauby. I still think about them regularly despite having read them both years ago.

Kate51 Tue 04-May-21 11:57:08

jogginggirl

I love many of the books suggested on here smile
I have just finished reading a book called A Man Called Ove - I absolutely loved it ?

That was a fantastic book, loved it. There is a film too.

Rosina Tue 04-May-21 11:58:09

I read 'Telling Liddy' by Anne Fine - what an example of how a family can fall apart, and how dangerous speaking out can be.
I read Daphne du Maurier's 'The Loving Spirit' as a teenager and found it so powerful that I dreamt about it.
'The Ragged Trousered Philanthropists' had me in tears - I was reading it as part of a course, but found the exploitation so cruel that I could read only one chapter at a time!

Paba24 Tue 04-May-21 11:59:28

me too simtib, A Thousand Splendid Suns, read it years ago and it is still with me. Also The Beekeeper of Aleppo by Christy Lefteri, thought provoking.

Foxglove77 Tue 04-May-21 12:06:26

I loved Light between Oceans. It was so heart rending I couldn't help thinking what if things had been different for them. Its also a film but the book is always so much more descriptive.

schnackie Tue 04-May-21 12:07:56

We Need to Talk About Kevin. I was telling my daughter about it not long after I'd read it and I started crying again and couldn't finish what I wanted to say!

Shortlegs Tue 04-May-21 12:55:06

To Kill A Mocking Bird.

Sara1954 Tue 04-May-21 13:10:50

Agree with so many of you
We need to talk about Kevin-not the only book dealing with this subject, but by far the best, absolutely harrowing.
The Light between Oceans- beautiful and moving, I actually thought the film was pretty good as well
To Kill a Mocking Bird- amazing