Gransnet forums

Books/book club

A book that has made you think long after you have finished reading it

(157 Posts)
StephLP Thu 29-Apr-21 20:58:29

We all have them - those books that stay with you. Mine would be Tuesday's With Morrie by Mitch Albom, The Vanishing Half by Britt Bennett and Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro.

margobo16 Wed 05-May-21 13:41:46

I have just read A Boy and His Dog at the End of the World by C.A.Fletcher.
A fascinating story of how life in this world could become. Cant get it out of my head and will read again soon.

cassandra264 Wed 05-May-21 13:54:58

So pleased to be reminded of so many valued books - thank you all. I would add to this list Virginia Nicholson's 'Singled Out' - How Two Million Women Survived Without Men After The First World War'. (Penguin; History). It was described as 'a vivid and moving portrait of a unique generation of women.' It gripped me; and left me with so much admiration for so many, whose names may be forgotten, but whose lives and influence should not be.

Onwardsandupwards Wed 05-May-21 15:37:11

Five chimneys, by Olga Lengyel. Harrowing and heartbreaking..
I read this when I was 17, it has stayed with me ever since.

jmo Wed 05-May-21 22:50:46

"South" by Ernest Shackleton. A detailed account of his Endurance expedition to Antarctica 1914-1917 describing the bravery and endurance of himself and the crew after the Endurance was crushed by ice and the miraculous voyage in an open lifeboat to South Georgia to get help to rescue the rest of his crew off Elephant Island. All this before radio and satnavs were even dreamt of! No one lost their life but on return some of the crew went off to the war that was still raging and perished. His story inspired me to go on an expedition myself to Antarctica via the Falkland Islands and South Georgia, although somewhat more safely and comfortably.

StephLP Thu 06-May-21 09:22:49

Not sure how I could forget to list 'The Road'by Cormack McCarthy - pulls you into the relationship between father and son.

jeapurs54 Wed 09-Jun-21 17:53:06

I discovered a new author Phaedra Patrick and read The Curious Charms of Arthur Pepper. This book had me totally gripped from the very first page. It totally took me on a journey with the person and discovered many interesting places that he explored whilst discovering the Charms. I cannot express how much I enjoyed this book and have since read 3 more by this author of which I have enjoyed.