Gransnet forums

Books/book club

British Crime novels

(98 Posts)
Nanamar Mon 03-May-21 12:11:12

I’ve read the entire Vera and Shetland series by Ann Cleeves, the Duncan Kincaid/Gemma James series by Deborah Crombie, Elizabeth George’s Inspector Lynsey books, Elly Griffiths’ Ruth Galloway series (didn’t care for the Magic Men books,) Ruth Ware, Tana French, etc. Looking for well-written crime novels set in the UK. Suggestions?

NanKate Mon 03-May-21 17:31:39

David Blake books set on the Norfolk Broads ?

Hellogirl1 Mon 03-May-21 17:47:54

Ed James, he writes about DCI Fenchurch in one series, and Detective constable Scott Cullen in a different series.
If you like your murders a bit gruesome, Graham Masterton`s books are great, mostly set in Ireland.

Mamie Mon 03-May-21 18:11:53

Anything by Peter May, but especially the Enzo Macleod books which are mostly set in south-west France.

GrannyOwl5 Mon 03-May-21 18:25:16

Have recently discovered Louise Penny’s books about Inspector Gamache set in Quebec. Good read and similar in style to Susan Hill’s Serailler series

readsalot Mon 03-May-21 19:02:31

Love Peter May and Val McDermid, and the Rebus books too.

Flicker Mon 03-May-21 19:14:50

Robert Goddard books are beautifully written, and just a wee bit different.
I inhale crime fiction, so agree with all the recommendations so far, but RG is just that bit different.

Lillian40 Wed 05-May-21 20:48:18

Anyone interested in Agatha Christie style books. Try Mary Roberts Rinehart, she was the American equivalent. Easy to obtain of Amazon for your Kindle.
I also enjoy murder mysteries set in the Victorian era, with no technology and lots of social background. This can also make you appreciate living in the 21st centaury.

NanKate Wed 05-May-21 21:44:13

Lillian can you name please some of the crime stories from Victorian times, as I would be interested in reading them.

eGJ Fri 07-May-21 05:33:00

Why not try The Malvern Mysteries by Kerry Tombs with Inspector Ravenscroft. Nankate ?Victorian crime set around Malvern and if you use kindle the first six are only 99p!

merlotgran Fri 07-May-21 10:26:02

Sara1954

Peter Robinson Inspector Banks.
If you watched the television series, and weren’t very impressed, the books are much better.

They certainly are. I’m half way through his latest one.

Ro60 Fri 07-May-21 11:56:39

Ken McClure & Robin Cook - medical thriller genre.
Currently reading Pandemic ,(2018) from the library. Guess it's not very popular at the moment.

Dee1012 Fri 07-May-21 12:02:47

William Shaw's books, absolutely fantastic;
Breen and Tozer series, set in the late 60's.
Alex Cupidi series, modern day Kent.

Really intelligent, well written books.

Nandalot Fri 07-May-21 12:55:10

Anne Coates has a journalist detective, Hannah Weybridge. The first book is ‘Dancers in the Wind’ .
She has her fifth novel coming out shortly. ( Should be upfront and say she is a friend). However, books are very good and should be better known.
She is with a new publisher so books should be back on Kindle soon.

Lin52 Fri 07-May-21 13:08:26

We have such a fine choice of crime writers, among my favourites JM Dalgleish, David Blake, LJ Ross, Agatha Christie, Elly Griffiths, JR Ellis, stories set in Yorkshire.Karen Charlton for lovers of Regency fiction. Must go to read some more!!

grannydarkhair Sat 08-May-21 21:46:40

I really enjoy a lot of the Scottish based crime books, writers not mentioned yet include James Oswald, Quintin Jardine, Denzil Meyrick, Stuart MacBride, Denise Mina, Chris Brookmyre. I also love the late Reg Hill books (Dalziel and Pascoe).

Nannytopsy Sat 08-May-21 22:41:32

Love Marjorie Allingham ( Albert Campion) set and written in 1930s - 40s.

Grannmarie Sat 08-May-21 23:22:20

Grannydarkhair, I share your love of Tartan Noir!
I've been lucky enough to meet Chris Brookmyre, Denise Mina, Val McDermid and Anne Cleeves at various book events, often in local libraries, in recent years.
I would definitely recommend these authors to OP, and to anyone who enjoys the crime genre.
I even have a few signed copies, hope I can attach the photos.
Happy reading ?

Lillian40 Sun 09-May-21 13:52:49

Hi, Nankate, nowadays with my eyesight not so good ,most of my reading is done on my Kindle. All the Victorian murder mysteries I read I buy from Amazon for 99p or for free. I have just finished J.S.Fletcher which I enjoy very much also Kerry Tombs, Victor.L.Whitechurch, Annie Haynes, Vernon Loder. if you use a Kindle, I usually type in on Amazon, Golden Age Murder Mysteries they will come up with a good selection. Hope this helps.

tiredoldwoman Sun 09-May-21 14:56:30

Hania Allan is fabulous - The Polish Detective .
Val McDermid's Distant Echo is getting filmed in St.Andrews this week ! Watch out for it on tv!

Gardenersdelight2 Sun 09-May-21 15:52:43

Anne Cleeves has started a new series based in Devon first book is The long call, not read it yet but imagine it will be the same quality as her others
Great thread will save this for she I get to the bottom of my book pile! ?

sodapop Sun 09-May-21 18:18:31

I didn't enjoy The Long Call at all Gardenersdelight definitely not up to the standard of her other books. I found it quite depressing.

Calendargirl Tue 01-Jun-21 21:55:48

sodapop

I didn't enjoy The Long Call at all Gardenersdelight definitely not up to the standard of her other books. I found it quite depressing.

I agree Sodapop

Jumblygran Tue 01-Jun-21 22:02:52

I enjoy the Irish American writer Tana French.
All her books are set in or around Dublin.
I am also an Ann Cleeves fan but I didn’t enjoy The Long Call either.
Some one mentioned Louise Penny her books are good.

NotAGran55 Wed 02-Jun-21 06:31:36

Just back to add Val McDermid . Loved The Distant Echo and all the Karen Pirie series. All on audible.
Counting down until the new Susan Hill .

BigBertha1 Wed 02-Jun-21 06:49:06

Lisa Jewell writes psychological thrillers which are very enjoyable. Try The Family Upstairs first....gripping.