Gransnet forums

Books/book club

British Crime novels

(98 Posts)
Nanamar Mon 03-May-21 12:11:12

I’ve read the entire Vera and Shetland series by Ann Cleeves, the Duncan Kincaid/Gemma James series by Deborah Crombie, Elizabeth George’s Inspector Lynsey books, Elly Griffiths’ Ruth Galloway series (didn’t care for the Magic Men books,) Ruth Ware, Tana French, etc. Looking for well-written crime novels set in the UK. Suggestions?

TerriBull Wed 02-Jun-21 07:46:10

Yes I would second Lisa Jewell's later books as good psychological thrillers, she is beginning to remind me of the late Ruth Rendell/Barbara Vine whose style of writing was quite unique imo. The Family Upstairs would as BigBertha has mentioned, be a good one to start with if you like that genre.

jroberts1 Wed 02-Jun-21 07:57:21

The Black House trilogy by Belinda Bauer

Scribbles Wed 02-Jun-21 08:02:06

I can recommend D S Butler's Detective Sergeant Karen Hart series; Anna Smith's series about Rosie Gilmour, an investigative journalist and Stuart MacBride's Police Scotland series about Logan Macrae. Some of these are very dark but leavened with a sort of grisly, schoolboy humour.
If you enjoy really dark and often graphically described crime, then try anything by Mo Hayder.

sodapop Wed 02-Jun-21 12:39:50

I'm reading the MW Craven series with Washinton Poe and Tilly Bradshaw.. Interesting take on things and quite humorous.

sandelf Wed 02-Jun-21 12:42:33

Just read Val McDermid Place of Execution - recommend.

25Avalon Wed 02-Jun-21 12:48:38

Don’t forget Peter Lovesey’s detective Peter Diamond set in and around Bath.

Charleygirl5 Wed 02-Jun-21 13:40:45

I have read every book written by Quintin Jardine and Ian Rankin. I loved them.

Chardy Wed 02-Jun-21 14:00:19

Tony Parsons
Joy Ellis

Lovetopaint037 Wed 02-Jun-21 15:26:10

The Robert Galbraith ( J.K.Rowling Strike novels). But make sure you read them in order.

Jumblygran Wed 02-Jun-21 21:25:15

Some have mentioned reading novels set in Victorian times, have you read Wilkie Collins. The original crime novels of the Nineteenth century, The Woman in White and The Moonstone.

Parsley3 Thu 03-Jun-21 15:09:34

If they haven't been mentioned already, Denise Mina and Alex Grey are two of my favourite crime writers.

GrandmasueUK Thu 03-Jun-21 15:22:49

I loved the Miss Silver books by Patricia Wentworth - very much in the style and written in the era of Agatha Christie.
Sophie Hannah's Waterhouse and Zailer series are very enjoyable and I've loved her new Hercule Poirot books as well.
Cara Hunter, the Adam Fawley books are very readable, as are Fiona Barton and Lisa Jewell.

chelseababy Thu 03-Jun-21 15:31:42

Has anyone mentioned Mark Billingham"s Tom Thorne books?

Antonia Thu 03-Jun-21 16:26:52

I haven't read the whole thread, so apologies if someone has already suggested this. 'A Dark Adapted Eye' by Ruth Rendell. Quite gripping. I love her books.

Billybob4491 Thu 03-Jun-21 17:03:52

Give Nick Louth a try, not sure if this comes under the heading of British Crime Novels but worth a read.

Ashcombe Thu 14-Oct-21 06:58:55

One of our theatre company members is a published author of four novels, all set around Ashburton and Dartmoor. Her name is Stephanie Austin and I would recommend her books. Here is a link to her talking about her work:-

www.youtube.com/watch?v=iKRwbs3NRT0

Her books are available on Amazon, in bookshops and may be downloaded for kindles.

NanKate Fri 15-Oct-21 15:55:39

Thank you eGJ Jumblygran and Lillian40 for your suggestions from months back !

Have any of you read the Railway Mysteries by Edward Marston ? I realise they may be a light read but that’s what I want sometimes.

Yes I may try reading the Moonstone again I loved it when I read it 50 odd years ago.

Scorpio57 Fri 15-Oct-21 18:04:28

I've recently enjoyed a couple of Robert Galbraith's books about Cormoran Strike. He's a detective with his own detective agency, they are set in modern day Britain. There are a series of books not sure how many. I've also enjoyed a couple of audiobooks in the Bryant and May series written by Christopher Fowler, again set in modern day Britain . Quirky with some very dry humour amongst the murders

Whiff Sat 16-Oct-21 06:23:10

Can't remember the author as it's been a long time since I read them but they where Inspector Coffin novels set in and around London.

Robert Galbraith is JK Rowling.

downtoearth Sat 16-Oct-21 09:30:53

Lisa Stone is a new name in crime/ thrillers,there are about 4,I have read all of them.
However she is not a new author,her pseudonym is Cathy Glass,with true stories of the troubled children she fostered.
Two totally different genres both well written.
Also love Ann Cleeves,Elly Griffiths,Felix Francis,Angela Marsons,my book shelves are overflowing with crime fiction

Kim19 Sat 16-Oct-21 10:15:39

Thoroughly recommend Quintin Jardine, the author's, series set in and around Gullane and Edinburgh. Quite wonderful. I went through the series (must be nearly 30 of them) in record time. In fact, I must check to see if there's a new one out. Terrific stuff.

rafichagran Sat 16-Oct-21 10:26:09

Joy Eliis, J D Kirk, and L J Ross, they are all very enjoyable.

Aveline Sat 16-Oct-21 10:27:36

Please don't be angry but I have a suggestion. I've recently really enjoyed Vaseem Khan's books set in Mumbai. The most recent one was called 'The Dying Day'. I don't like crime thrillers usually but this was so clever and so imacculately plotted that I was seriously impressed.
It was a recommendation on here that set me off on Indian detective stories and I've been reading them ever since. Tarquin Hall's books are very funny and Sujata Massey and Abir Mukherjee' s books are all very enjoyable for various different reasons. Take the plunge into Indian mysteries for a change?

henetha Sat 16-Oct-21 10:29:38

I very much like Mark Edwards who has quite a few books on Kindle.

annodomini Sat 16-Oct-21 10:56:03

Thanks, Aveline, that's a few more for the wish list!