Gransnet forums

Books/book club

Meghan, but not Meghan

(230 Posts)
Ellianne Wed 05-May-21 08:02:06

Well it was on the BBC and I love children's books!

I was interested to see what this book was all about so took a quick look. Let's be fair, it is a first attempt.

The illustrations are lovely, very soft almost pastel shades, ideal for gentle bedtime reading. Yawn.

The people are a bit thin and wooden and I was disappointed the dogs weren't in the book.

Now for the rhyming. I'm not sure about the cadence, very contrived. Where are all the commas?
I don't know when to breathe.
The script is tiny, I need two pairs of glasses. Actually, come to think of it the print should be far bigger if it is designed for younger children to read

Would you buy it for your grandchildren? Does it resonate and get any message across? £12.99 reduced to £9.99. Is you want it, please hurry it might just sell out.

eazybee Mon 10-May-21 11:23:40

The test of a good book for young children is if it can be read aloud successfully, which is where so many authors in this genre fail.

Peasblossom Mon 10-May-21 11:26:25

Her mistake may have been to write it herself rather than let a ghost writer do it, as many celebrities do.
It is amateurish but her own.

Trisher’s right, it’s mostly about money nowadays. I’ve done a bit of ghost writing in the past. It’s a two way thing though. A manuscript rejected under your own name will be published under a well known name. I chose that rather than have it languish in a drawer?

Ladyleftfieldlover Mon 10-May-21 14:15:20

Anniebach

Kate’s book ‘Hold Still’ is doing well in best seller list, no publicly as given to Meg’s

Kate didn’t write the NPG book!

Ellianne Tue 08-Jun-21 13:35:03

Just in case anyone is interested, it is book launch day today. Here's a few more pages.
I go back to what I said before, the illustrations are ok, but the text leaves a lot to be desired.