Gransnet forums

Books/book club

So bored of the ‘Girl on a Train’Genre! HELP!

(41 Posts)
Sophiasnana Fri 17-Sep-21 23:40:56

There is nothing better than a great book you dont want to put down….and I havent read one of them for ages! The market is completely flooded with what I call Chick Thrillers. Gone Girl , Girl on a Train, every book that has the blurb ‘an unbelievable thriller with a twist you didnt see coming’. Yawn.
I yearn for a book written like they used to be. In the past tense, second person, but not too Mills and Boon. A bit of romance, a bit of a thriller….is that too much to ask for? Suggestions please.

Sweetpeasue Thu 23-Sep-21 23:47:19

Have read quite a lot of books by Kristin Hannah, MammaCaz inuding those you mentioned. I know she's not of the same calibre as the classic authors, but she's a lot of heart and can write a good story.
Reading 'Ruth' by Elizabeth Gaskell at present as I'd just read Cranford and loved it.

Litterpicker Thu 23-Sep-21 23:35:55

The author I’ve most enjoyed recently is Lissa Evans - Crooked Heart, Old Baggage and V for Victory are the most recent. Settings 1920s and World War 2. Interesting characters. I also loved her children’s book Wed Wabbit which is funny and full of insight.
Looking forward to trying some of the suggestions above ?

Early Thu 23-Sep-21 20:08:20

I hope you like Valentine, maytime2.

From Good Reads: Quite simply one of the best books I've ever read: Jeanine Cummins, author of American Dirt.

I passed on my copies of both to a friend who loved American Dirt but didn't enjoy Valentine - just goes to show.

I loved Barbara Kingsolver's Poisonwood Bible and The Lacuna but felt a tad lukewarm over her last, Unsheltered.

maytime2 Thu 23-Sep-21 17:29:01

Thank you Early, I have made a note of the book Valentine and will look it up, either in the library or on Kindle. I tried reading Barbara Kingsolver, but wasn't a fan.

Daisend1 Wed 22-Sep-21 18:38:22

My favourite is Tess Gerritson whose books are based on her own experience as a medical examiner.

MamaCaz Wed 22-Sep-21 18:21:10

Urmstongran

I couldn’t put down ‘The Four Winds’ or ‘The Nightingale’ by Kristin Hannah. Now I’m reading another of hers ‘The Great Alone’. All cracking reads IMO.

Totally agree with you about ‘Girl on the Train’.! Beyond tedious.

I've literally just finished reading listening to The great Alone, and really enjoyed it, so I will see if I can get hold of either of those other two titles on BorrowBox tonight smile

Early Wed 22-Sep-21 15:52:53

All good choices maytime2. As you liked American Dirt, have you read Valentine by Elizabeth Wetmore? Do you like Barbara Kingsolver?

maytime2 Wed 22-Sep-21 15:44:38

I too dislike thriller type books that try to tie up all the loose ends in the last chapter.
I enjoy reading American authors such as Elizabeth Strout and Anne Tyler but also British authors such as Kate Atkinson and Maggie O'Farrell.
The most enjoyable book that I read in the last year was American Dirt by Janinne Cummins it tells the story of a woman and child who try to enter America illegally.

Antonia Sat 18-Sep-21 15:02:32

I loved 'A Dark Adapted Eye' by Ruth Rendell. I still can't decide who Jamie's mother is!

In fact, all Ruth Rendell's books, also Colin Dexter.

They've been around for a long time, but so well written.

Another old time favourite writer is Maeve Binchy. I loved 'Echoes' and 'Scarlet Feather.' They're not detective novels though, but family drama set in Ireland in the fifties and sixties.

If you want a really good read then another favourite is Arthur Hailey. I enjoyed 'Hotel,' 'Strong Medicine' and 'The Money Changers.'

They are of their day, but with good plot twists.

minimo15 Sat 18-Sep-21 14:36:07

I'm a big fan of Robert Goddards books, not quite sure how I would describe them but they are crime / thriller but gentle and lure you into the stories.

dolphindaisy Sat 18-Sep-21 14:27:03

I enjoy books by Shari Lapena - very well written,often hard to put down. One of her most famous is "The Couple next door" If you like a good mystery then give her books a try.

Nannarose Sat 18-Sep-21 14:01:22

I'm not sure if you mean that you like mystery / detective / thrillers, but not the 'unreliable narrator' sub-genre, or if you want recommendations in general.
I do love mystery & detective stories, but dislike unreliable narrators, as they break the rule of having all the clues in front of you (although I will make an exception for The Murder of Roger Ackroyd, which does in fact have all the clues!)
If I step outside that genre, I do like JoJo Moyes, but am going to make most of my recommendations from the genre I enjoy.
I second Lindsay Davies' Falco books, and the new ones about his adopted daughter Flavia Alba.
Elly Griffiths has written some great modern detective stories, and one series set in 50s Brighton.
I also love the Bruno, Chief of Police series, set in the Dordogne, written by Martin Walker.
Kate Ellis mixes modern detection with historical parallels.

I recently heard Madam Will You Talk as a radio adaptation - it was very enjoyable.

Wheniwasyourage Sat 18-Sep-21 13:28:58

Our library recently acquired a recently-republished set of Mary Stewart's books, and that reminded me of how much I love them. In particular 'Madam Will You Talk', 'Nine Coaches Waiting' and 'Airs Above the Ground'. Written in the 50s and 60s, they are of that era, but then 'David Copperfield' is of its era and is still a very good read!

DanniRae Sat 18-Sep-21 12:35:20

I really enjoy books by Elizabeth Elgin and Rosamund Pilcher.

Jillyjosie Sat 18-Sep-21 11:19:50

Maggie O'Farrell? Excellent writer, her books have interesting plots, good characterisation and often very unexpected twists at the end.

Silverbridge Sat 18-Sep-21 09:18:36

MaggieMaybe Good choices. If you like Jonathan Coe, what about John Lanchester? I enjoyed Capital. There was a TV series but the audio book was better (imo).

Maggiemaybe Sat 18-Sep-21 09:02:46

I’m another big fan of Kate Atkinson, and she definitely fits the bit of romance/bit of thriller bill. I’ve just recently discovered Jonathan Coe - I’ve really enjoyed the trilogy starting with The Rotters’ Club. Not much of a thriller, but there are a couple of family mysteries in there that are solved eventually. Another oldie I always used to love is P D James.

For straightforward good writing (but no thrills), I’d recommend trying Ann Tyler.

Urmstongran Sat 18-Sep-21 08:54:27

I couldn’t put down ‘The Four Winds’ or ‘The Nightingale’ by Kristin Hannah. Now I’m reading another of hers ‘The Great Alone’. All cracking reads IMO.

Totally agree with you about ‘Girl on the Train’.! Beyond tedious.

sodapop Sat 18-Sep-21 08:52:09

I know what you mean Sophiasnana those books are overhyped and not to my taste either. Another vote here for Kate Atkinson and Susan Hill. Well written with interesting characters. I also like MJ Lee and the Ridpath books.
Marian Keyes is usually good. I also like Elly Giffiths and her Ruth Galloway books.

Silverbridge Sat 18-Sep-21 08:49:24

I’m definitely not a fan of JoJoMoyes but another vote for Kate Atkinson especially Life after Life and A God in Ruins and Susan Hill’s Simon Serrailler stories (terrific in audio format).

I’ve also enjoyed Kate Morton and Victoria Hislop novels.

Margaret Atwood is hard to beat whichever genre she’s writing in. The Blind Assassin and The Robber Bride are stand out.

Marilynne Robinson’s Gilead series is beautifully written.

Recently, I’ve also enjoyed books my Madeleine St John, Elizabeth McCracken, Emily St John Mandel, Monique Roffey and Margaret Forster.

Look at Virago for classic and contemporary fiction by women writers- maybe try their 2021 bookclub list. I’m just finished The Wedding by Dorothy West (not on the list) which is an extraordinary novel about colour. How about this list? Just what came up when I was searching for the West novel. An eclectic mix.

www.virago.co.uk/?s=the+wedding

I’m currently on a bit of an Ali Smith binge. Her Seasons Quartet - read them in the order Autumn through Summer - is excellent.

It’s the centenary of Patricia Highsmith’s birth. The Ripley novels are old-fashioned (he’d never get away with it now) but page-turning thrillers.

Check BBC Radio 4s A Good Read. Lot’s of back editions to listen to.

www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b006v8jn/episodes/player

Also, of you are looking for similar writers to those you have enjoyed, take a look at Who Else Writes Like? - you can sign in with a library card.

www.whoelsewriteslike.com/authors

Reading choices are very subjective and not a lot of thrillers in here but I do hope there’s something to inspire you.

I realise, I’ve only nominated woman so to address the balance a little, Anthony Doerr and Richard Powers are just two of many male writers whose books I have enjoyed. Powers is currently Booker shortlisted for his latest, Bewilderment.

BladeAnnie Sat 18-Sep-21 08:47:48

Recommend anything by Susan Lewis

Susan56 Sat 18-Sep-21 08:44:43

I really enjoyed the Jane Tennison series Sar.Also second the recommendations of Ann Cleeves and Kate Atkinson.As you say so many books, so little time!

Curlywhirly Sat 18-Sep-21 08:44:16

If you like police thrillers you can't go wrong with the Peter James ones ( they all have Dead in the title - Dead Simple, Looking Good Dead, Not Dead Enough etc) out of 17 books, there have only been 2 that I found a little disappointing.

annodomini Sat 18-Sep-21 08:43:24

Something different; Lindsay Davis' novels set in the Roman Empire. The Falco series is both humorous and intriguing as Falco, an informer for the Emperor Vespasian, uncovers dirty dealing in both high and low society.

Aveline Sat 18-Sep-21 08:38:56

Not a big fan of JoJo Moyes I'm afraid. If you want crime novels try Kate Atkinson's Jackson Brodie books or, for a refreshing change, try Sujata Massey's books about a lady lawyer in 1920s India.