Gransnet forums

Books/book club

2022 50 BOOKS - OR AS MANY AS YOU CAN MANAGE

(738 Posts)
TerriBull Sun 02-Jan-22 16:18:05

Happy New Year readers, welcome to the new 2022 "50" books challenge. All readers are welcome, as always that figure is aspirational, don't let that number deter you if you wish to partake and don't think you will reach that number, it really doesn't matter.

Please come to this thread to tell us what you are reading, whether you liked it or not. I would also mention audio/Audible can also be included in your tally.

Here's to a new year of enjoyable reading.

AliBeeee Wed 05-Jan-22 17:58:23

My first 2 of 2022 are
1. Something Might Happen by Julie Myerson. A charity shop purchase which I enjoyed very much (8/10)
2. Redhead by the Side of the Road by Anne Tyler. Excellent, as all her books are (9/10)

Next up is going to be Monogamy by Sue Miller.

fairfraise Wed 05-Jan-22 18:13:33

My first 3 of this year are Red Notice by Bill Browder, a riveting read about Putin's Russia, written by a financier. Then A Boy Made of Blocks by Keith Stuart, about a family and their autistic child, set in Bristol. That was very moving. Then Assembly by Natasha Brown a very quick short book to read, about a girl fitting in with boyfriends family and corporate world etc.
Just before Christmas I read The Frequency of Us
also by Keith Stuart which was a real page turner, so I would recommend his books!

Hellogirl1 Wed 05-Jan-22 18:47:36

I`m still on I Remember You, slow going for me, but I`m not enjoying it, but hate giving up on a book,, so will finish it...............eventually.

Maggiemaybe Wed 05-Jan-22 19:47:35

I'll need something to listen to while I take down all the Christmas decorations tomorrow, so I've downloaded:

3. In Plain Sight, Marion Todd

I started it today to get a flavour of it, and it's so good I didn't want to stop listening! It starts at a charity fun run, where a baby is abducted from her pram.... It's read by the author, who's making a really good job of it. I've deleted a few audio books when there's a would-be actor doing the reading, and putting on different voices in dodgy accents!

Calendargirl Wed 05-Jan-22 20:17:58

#2. Playing With Fire by Peter Robinson.

Cs783 Wed 05-Jan-22 20:40:46

Nonfiction ok?

My #2 is Neil MscGregor’s Shakespeare’s Restless World. Love it as it has bedtime-friendly short chapters, each discussing an object which throws light on what the world looked like to people of Shakespeare’s time, and the light that throw on his plays. For instance calling the theatre The Globe, given recent first circumnavigation of the world, suggested something cool and trendy as compared to a name like The Theatre or The Rose

Greyduster Thu 06-Jan-22 09:11:54

Finished The Beekeeper of Aleppo. Beautifully written and thought provoking.
No.2: Unholy Murder by Lynda LaPlante. I don’t usually read detective novels, but it’s started off quite well.

Grannmarie Thu 06-Jan-22 11:30:19

I've just joined kindle unlimited on a 3 month trial. Can anyone recommend this ?It has some audible titles, I've never listened to books before, but I like the sound of Maggiemaybe's In Plain Sight.
Great idea to listen whilst taking down the decorations!

Cs783 Thu 06-Jan-22 12:02:27

Kindle Unlimited - my husband gets great value from it. He reads a lot of sci fi and has discovered some authors he enjoys very much. I took a quick look but the range didn’t appeal to me so much so I stick with library (online and in person) plus buying occasional ‘must keeps’. I can fish for occasional books via his kindle. I find browsing for kindle unlimited books a chore, but it gets easier when you know the clicking route. Enjoy your free trial!

Rosalyn69 Thu 06-Jan-22 12:07:28

Book 10 of the Wheel of Time. In it for the long haul but I have a holiday planned and I was a lot on holiday.

Rosalyn69 Thu 06-Jan-22 12:07:42

*read

Sara1954 Thu 06-Jan-22 14:25:59

Thanks TerriBull for starting us off again.
I only read about forty last year, I was stuck on ‘Midnights Children’ for weeks, not sure if I enjoyed it or not, but I couldn’t really get stuck into it.

Susan56, I read ‘The Herons Cry over Christmas, really enjoyed it, and love that area of north Devon.

My first book of the year was ‘Starve Acre’ by Andrew Michael Hurley, weird, but I enjoyed it.

Currently reading ‘Hidden Valley Road’ absolutely fascinating, the true story of an American family who have twelve children, and six grow up to develop schizophrenia, it’s a total falling apart of a proud family. Shocking and upsetting, but absolutely gripping.

So here we are, I will try better this year, always interested to hear what people are reading.

Happy New Year to you all.

Grannmarie Thu 06-Jan-22 14:57:11

Thank you, cs783thanks

SachaMac Thu 06-Jan-22 18:01:46

Sarah1954 I was given Starve Acre as a present last Christmas, as you say a bit weird but quite absorbing, I enjoyed it too.

Maggiemaybe Thu 06-Jan-22 22:12:37

I’m still enjoying In Plain Sight, Grannmarie. It took me ages to get those decorations down and put away, so it came in very handy. smile I just download any audio books from the local library service - both our two nearest branches have closed recently, so I’m glad we’ve got this at least.

Mopsx4 Fri 07-Jan-22 21:08:27

I would like to join in again this year. I posted till I had read just over 50 books then stopped posting last year.
My first book this year was
The secret gift of Lucia Lemon by Celia Anderson
I have just finished The Museum of Extraordinary Things by Alice Hoffman . I enjoyed this.
I now have the Libby app on my iPad so will look through posts to find some new authors.
Happy reading.

Maggiemaybe Sat 08-Jan-22 18:05:19

I'm now onto:

4. The Last House on Needless Street, Catriona Ward

Has anyone else read this? Despite all the hype and praise, I don't like it at all. I'm finding it weird and unsettling and very confusing. Unfortunately it's my Reading Group choice so I have to stick with it. I'm just hoping it makes a bit of sense by the end.

chickkygran Sat 08-Jan-22 19:03:14

Just finished The Dry by Jane Harper, really enjoyed it. Detective story set in Australia. Now reading The Coward by Jarred McGuinness. Only half way through, tale of a trouble boy with an alcoholic father. Next in the list Wish You Were Here, by Jodi Picoult, very good reviews

Granniesunite Sat 08-Jan-22 19:13:23

I’d like to join this year please as books are my lifeline. It’s just difficult to remember what I’ve read so to record it here will be interesting.

I’ve started this year with The Man Who died Twice by Richard Osman and I’m now reading Windswept and Interesting by Billy Connolly.

I’ll be watching and hoping for recommendations.

HettyBetty Sat 08-Jan-22 21:17:22

I have just re-registered with Gransnet so that I can join in. Hello everyone. Always been an avid reader but it is too easy nowadays to get distracted. My plan for 2022 is to alternate between books I haven't read before and reread. I am a big fan of many classics but like to try other genres. First book of the year, finished yesterday, was The Essex Serpent. I really enjoyed it.

Jaxjacky Sat 08-Jan-22 21:48:20

#2 starting tonight in bed, Into the Dark by Karen Rose.

Cs783 Sat 08-Jan-22 21:49:27

My #3 Kate Atkinson ‘Emotionally Weird’. In a moment of fandom backed by an Amazon discount offer I topped up my Atkinson holdings. This one should not have got past the editor but it did make me splutter with laughter at times.

If anyone else is inclined to try it, don’t bother with the especially confusing kindle version. Apparently in print there are different fonts which distinguish different characters.

Maggiemaybe Sun 09-Jan-22 12:07:40

I think that was the only Kate Atkinson I didn’t get on with, Cs783.

I’ve just downloaded another audiobook:

5. The Motion of the Body through Space, Lionel Shriver

I’ve looked at it before, but am easily put off by characters with daft names. I’ll see how it goes with Serenata and Remington. smile The book’s about older people and exercise, so I thought it might be appropriate to “read” on my walks.

Sara1954 Sun 09-Jan-22 13:30:36

Maggiemaybe
That didn’t really appeal to me either, although I am a Lionel Shriver fan, but I did enjoy it, quite humorous.

Cs783 Sun 09-Jan-22 13:36:28

Maggiemaybe, Sara1954
I’m tempted by Shriver dealing with a long married couple facing aging…

and it’s available on my library app. Thanks smile