Gransnet forums

Books/book club

2022 50 BOOKS - OR AS MANY AS YOU CAN MANAGE

(738 Posts)
TerriBull Sun 02-Jan-22 16:18:05

Happy New Year readers, welcome to the new 2022 "50" books challenge. All readers are welcome, as always that figure is aspirational, don't let that number deter you if you wish to partake and don't think you will reach that number, it really doesn't matter.

Please come to this thread to tell us what you are reading, whether you liked it or not. I would also mention audio/Audible can also be included in your tally.

Here's to a new year of enjoyable reading.

SueDonim Mon 03-Jan-22 17:47:16

Thank you for the new thread, Terribull and it’s lovely to see it so busy already!

My no 1 to start the year has been Dewey The Small Town Library Cat Who Touched the World by Vicki Myron. It was a Christmas present more than ten years ago and I’ve only just got round to reading it. blush

Soroptimum Mon 03-Jan-22 17:52:11

I’ve got “Any Human Heart” by William Boyd to read for my book club. Never heard of the author.

Grannmarie Mon 03-Jan-22 17:56:27

Grandmabatty, although I am now a Kindle fan, there is something special about reading a signed copy, enjoy Autopsy!
My sisters and I used to go to book signings over the years before the pandemic. Some at the Edinburgh Festival, Mitchell Library, Glasgow book shops, or our local libraries.
I have signed copies from Marion Keyes, Christopher Brookmyre, Denise Mina , Val Mc Dermid, Phillipa Gregory and ( non fiction) Tom Devine.

TerriBull Mon 03-Jan-22 18:04:11

Soroptimum

I’ve got “Any Human Heart” by William Boyd to read for my book club. Never heard of the author.

William Boyd is a terrific author, I have read Ordinary Thunderstorms, Waiting for Sunrise and Brazzaville Beach, I plain to read some more of his stuff. I think Any Human Heart was dramatised for tv a while back, although I can't remember too much about it.

TerriBull Mon 03-Jan-22 18:04:33

plain plan

mrstin Mon 03-Jan-22 18:05:42

Glad to see this thread started for 2022. I kept forgetting to post last year but I probably hit my goal of 50 books. Great to know that audio books count too as these can be borrowed from our library via Borrowbox.
I have just read Julian Clary's How Dogs Changed my Life.
Happy New Year and Good Reading, everyone!

Soroptimum Mon 03-Jan-22 18:08:18

TerriBull

Soroptimum

William Boyd is a terrific author, I have read Ordinary Thunderstorms, Waiting for Sunrise and Brazzaville Beach, I plain to read some more of his stuff. I think Any Human Heart was dramatised for tv a while back, although I can't remember too much about it.

Many thanks, looking forward to reading it now smile

SueDonim Mon 03-Jan-22 18:08:41

I’ve come late to William Boyd. I love his books, they’re each so different, not like some other authors who seem to write the same book, just with different characters.

Hellogirl1 Mon 03-Jan-22 18:15:21

My first book is I Remember You, by Elisabeth de Mariaffi. I intend to finish it, but it`s not doing a lot for me so far. It`s another of those books without inverted commas for conversation, and that annoys me.

TerriBull Mon 03-Jan-22 18:25:25

Yes I agree Sue, his books are all so different, no common theme at all.

My reading resolution is to try and diversify, away from psychological/crime and read some more historical books, I have ordered River Kings which has great reviews, about the Vikings and their trading routes which went as far as the silk roads. However, the pull of the former is ever present, so I'll probably end up reading more of the usual !

Gymstagran Mon 03-Jan-22 18:27:55

My first this year is Lost and Found by Tom Winter, his first book. Its bit weird and I think quite disjointed. One of those books that tells the story from two different peoples perspectives. Its a book club read so I need to finish it by next Monday. It will be interesting to hear other book club members views.

eazybee Mon 03-Jan-22 19:22:49

Reading 'The Little Red Chairs' by Edna O'Brien and not enjoying it. It is my Book Group choice and I am sure I will realize what I have missed following our discussion.
I am also reading 'The Brothers York' by Thomas Penn, an account of the relationship between Edward 1V and his brothers and the Wars of the Roses; brilliant if you enjoy history.

Ladyleftfieldlover Mon 03-Jan-22 19:31:37

I’ve just finished Taste by Stanley Tucci - highly recommended. If you like Italian food, you will love this book. I am now half way through Tracy Borman’s Crown and Sceptre. Also recommended. When I’ve finished that, I will read John le Carre’s final book, Silverview.

Jumblygran Mon 03-Jan-22 19:33:04

I have never counted how many books I have read in a year, I think it would not be quite 50 but I will give it a go this year.
Great to see some good suggestions, I also have newly discovered William Boyd, his books are great.
I have just finished Tell The Bees That I am Gone by Diana Gabaldon. I love her books they are a real treat when they finally are published, though it is best if you have read the earlier ones.
I am now reading The Way of All Flesh by Ambrose Parry, set in Edinburgh amongst doctors, it is a mystery. It is well written and I am enjoying it immensely.
Ambrose Parry is a pseudonym for Marissa Haetzman and Chris Brookmyre. Marissa is an expert on the history of medicine and many of you will know Chris’s fast paced books.

Calistemon Mon 03-Jan-22 19:44:23

1. The Night She Disappeared by Lisa Jewell

SachaMac Mon 03-Jan-22 19:58:24

I’ve just started reading:
Trust Me by T M Logan
I’m gripped.

Shelbel Mon 03-Jan-22 20:13:52

Soroptimum - hope you enjoy Any human heart' its a wonderful book. I've read two of that author last year and will be reading a third this year.

Musicgirl Mon 03-Jan-22 20:38:41

I’m starting with No Time to be Alone by Daniel Hurst. Enjoying it so far.

Chardy Mon 03-Jan-22 21:34:06

nandad

Just seen 2021’s thread which has given me loads of ideas for this year. I have just started The Alice Network by Kate Quinn.

I liked Kate Quinn 'Rose Code' very much nandad

hollysteers Mon 03-Jan-22 21:52:46

grandMattie I enjoyed that William Trevor novel very much.
I also have his short stories on the go. I tried reading him years ago and didn’t take to him, but not now.
Also reading “Greenbanks” by one of my favourite authors, Dorothy Whipple, in the lovely grey Persephone editions.

Blossoming Mon 03-Jan-22 21:58:33

1. I’m currently listening on Audible to ‘The Whispering Swarm’ by Michael Moorcock. It’s semi-autobiographical with time travel thrown in. I loved his swords&sorcery fantasy novels in my teens, and somebody recommended this to me. I’m on chapter 4 and loving it so far.

Kate1949 Mon 03-Jan-22 22:51:18

I was given Miriam Margolyes autobiography for Christmas. I've only read a few chapters so far but the only thing I can say is Blimey blush

JackyB Tue 04-Jan-22 06:23:06

I was given "Little Fires Everywhere" (Celeste Ng) for Christmas . Both DS and DiL who gave it to me, have read it. They would never give me something that they hadn't read themselves and enjoyed. I was surprised that it is fiction, because last year they gave me Education by Tara Westover which was most engrossing and informative. I certainly hope to train myself to read more, rather than play games on my phone or tablet when I have odd free moments. There are plenty of books on my Kindle.

I only recently discovered how enjoyable Dickens is to read. We didn't read any at school; they probably expected we would read them anyway.

JackyB Tue 04-Jan-22 09:32:12

I have counted over 30 books mentioned here already, most of them with enthusiastic recommendation as well as several series and a couple of authors. That should be enough to keep us busy!

I hope those who are reading books for their bookclub will come back with the main discussion points.

25Avalon Wed 05-Jan-22 09:20:33

“Lies” by TM Logan is my next book. Just read the sample on Amazon and it’s got me gripped. Love the style of writing- it’s so real. Now waiting me on Kindle.