Gransnet forums

Books/book club

World Book Day 2022

(29 Posts)
Beechnut Thu 03-Mar-22 09:07:39

I’ve just seen a couple of children go past my house on their way to school in their costumes. I used to enjoy making these for my daughter and sent her off to her first one as Peter Pan made from my mums old dress. Approximately ten years later it was a Christmas elf costume.

ShazzaKanazza Thu 03-Mar-22 09:13:55

My DGD has gone as Mr Bump and DGS has gone in a decorated t shirt decorated with the Julia Donaldson books. The school didn’t want people forking out for expensive costumes so gave every child a plain white t shirt with a one pound donation for parents to decorate it’s a great idea. It’s a-lot of pressure on cash strapped parents.

Sar53 Thu 03-Mar-22 09:33:34

My two youngest granddaughters, 4 and 6, have both gone as Unicorns,.
What else !!!!!!!

Lucca Thu 03-Mar-22 09:39:41

I like the home made efforts. My GD went as Harry Stevenson

Lucca Thu 03-Mar-22 09:40:08

ShazzaKanazza

My DGD has gone as Mr Bump and DGS has gone in a decorated t shirt decorated with the Julia Donaldson books. The school didn’t want people forking out for expensive costumes so gave every child a plain white t shirt with a one pound donation for parents to decorate it’s a great idea. It’s a-lot of pressure on cash strapped parents.

Excellent

Josieann Thu 03-Mar-22 10:37:21

Harry Potter.

Ro60 Thu 03-Mar-22 11:22:35

Shazzakanazza Brilliant idea. My GSs' nursery have given them a quite limiting theme (can't remember what) DD who works & tries to live a "green" lifestyle really doesn't want to buy any more Chinese tat.
DGS is insisting he wants to go as a reindeer. ?

Josieann Thu 03-Mar-22 18:35:04

I picked up DGCx2 from school this afternoon. It was lovely to see all the kids coming out with their broomsticks and rabbit ears etc. Even the teachers were in fancy dress and the Headmaster was a good sport too in a onesie.
I remember 18 months or so ago that a few posters on GN were horrified that the Headteacher dressed up to welcome the children back after covid. This is just what the younger pupils need in a frightening world. A bit of fun!

VioletSky Thu 03-Mar-22 18:47:51

We had a great time at school today, some amazing costumes

Rosie51 Thu 03-Mar-22 18:48:51

Loads of Harry Potter characters came up in my FB feed. Very few Elsa's this year but quite a few from the Dr Seuss books. Grandson with learning difficulties went as Thing 1, as it required the minimum of "altered" clothing. He was happy in red tshirt and joggers, and a bit of blue fringing smile

Sago Thu 03-Mar-22 18:54:01

Jane Austen, the inspiration was the “Big Dreams Little People books”
They are a great introduction to literature and the arts.

www.waterstones.com/series/little-people-big-dreams

Blondiescot Thu 03-Mar-22 18:55:19

Rosie51

Loads of Harry Potter characters came up in my FB feed. Very few Elsa's this year but quite a few from the Dr Seuss books. Grandson with learning difficulties went as Thing 1, as it required the minimum of "altered" clothing. He was happy in red tshirt and joggers, and a bit of blue fringing smile

I saw quite a few 'Things' this year - obviously a popular and not too expensive choice for many. My GS insisted on going to nursery as Spiderman - but mind you, he can rarely be parted from his Spiderman outfit anyway, so it certainly wasn't bought for the occasion. A friend's little GD had the most beautiful Hungry Caterpillar costume - she looked adorable in it.

NanKate Thu 03-Mar-22 19:28:08

Our one DGS went in his Karate suit and his younger Bro as a Bodyguard, both characters from their Dad’s books. It’s their first year they haven’t been embarrassed that their dad is an author.

Rosie51 Thu 03-Mar-22 19:34:48

Blondiescot a hungry caterpillar costume, I bet she did look adorable! I bought loads of hungry caterpillar baby stuff when we were in California before our first grandchild was born. Didn't know what it would be but figured it would suit a boy or girl smile

ginny Thu 03-Mar-22 22:38:56

Here is our ‘Harry Potter.’

ginny Thu 03-Mar-22 22:40:11

Trying again.

LadyGracie Fri 04-Mar-22 08:31:39

Our granddaughter went to school as Silky the Fairy from The Magic Faraway Tree.

Armynanny Fri 04-Mar-22 12:06:47

I was going to start a thread on this but saw someone already has. Whilst I think World Book day is a great idea I can’t help but think it’s another pressure for families to have to provide costumes for children. Bad enough with Halloween, leavers balls etc., What do others think?,

Chocolatelovinggran Fri 04-Mar-22 12:14:08

We did something along the t-shirt lines when I was in school . I would argue that books are educational (!) and Halloween, leavers balls, etc are not..

MissAdventure Fri 04-Mar-22 12:25:18

I'm eternally thankful my boy is past the age of having to be provided with a costume that he'll wear once and never again.
I hate world book day!

GrandmaCornwall Fri 04-Mar-22 12:30:29

My grandson dressed as a footballer ,I did buy a book about a boy who loved football to justify his choice?

MissAdventure Fri 04-Mar-22 12:32:17

Yes, we've done that too.
He's also gone in normal clothes and said he's a secret agent, so he's in disguise.

GrannyGravy13 Fri 04-Mar-22 12:36:58

One GC’s school asked for them to go in their pyjamas, as they would be having bedtime stories throughout the day. I thought this was brilliant, they could also take in their favourite bedtime book.

One of the others was full on dressing up, that DiL is good at dressmaking and crafting, the children also have a full dressing up box as they love dressing up.

All happy.

Armynanny Fri 04-Mar-22 19:34:04

Chocolatelovinggran

We did something along the t-shirt lines when I was in school . I would argue that books are educational (!) and Halloween, leavers balls, etc are not..

I’m up for World book day, it’s the costume bit I don’t agree with, pressure to buy or make one.

Armynanny Fri 04-Mar-22 19:35:34

GrannyGravy13

One GC’s school asked for them to go in their pyjamas, as they would be having bedtime stories throughout the day. I thought this was brilliant, they could also take in their favourite bedtime book.

One of the others was full on dressing up, that DiL is good at dressmaking and crafting, the children also have a full dressing up box as they love dressing up.

All happy.

What a great idea.