Gransnet forums

Books/book club

Poets

(36 Posts)
loopyloo Fri 25-Mar-22 12:27:04

Which poets do you people like? I am reading Dylan Thomas but can only take a small amount at a time. So many powerful words but what is he saying?

midgey Fri 25-Mar-22 12:38:16

I really enjoy Felix Dennis -Never Look Back.

Ali23 Sat 26-Mar-22 00:32:43

I prefer modern poets to the romantics. I also love to listen to poets reading their own poems.

Simon Armitage is my favourite living poet. I listen to him on you tube and also enjoy his podcasts.

Mary Oliver was a great poet too and I love to listen to her on you tube too.

Marydoll Sat 26-Mar-22 00:38:31

Always been TS Elliot, followed by WB Yeats.

grannydarkhair Sat 26-Mar-22 00:42:34

My favourites include Elizabeth Bishop, Walt Whitman, e.e.cummings, Wendy Cope, William Blake. All very different.

Cs783 Sat 26-Mar-22 07:40:39

Have you tried listening to a poetry podcast? Frank Skinner does one where he talks you through his reactions. I really enjoy listening. I don’t think he’s chosen a Dylan Thomas poem yet but plenty of others.

Nyman1962 Sat 26-Mar-22 08:10:59

Philip Larkin for me, and John Bejteman.
Current poets? Christopher Reid, Frederick Seidel and Andrew Motion

Grandmabatty Sat 26-Mar-22 08:15:31

John Donne, Andrew Marvell, Christina Rossetti, Robert Burns, Philip Larkin, T.S.Eliot, Carol Ann Duffy. These are top of my list today. It might change tomorrow!

Blondiescot Sat 26-Mar-22 08:18:57

Sylvia Plath is my all-time favourite poet, but I also love everything from Yeats, Wordsworth and Larkin to Stevie Smith, with a special mention to my ancestor Robert Burns!

rubysong Sat 26-Mar-22 08:30:45

Samuel Taylor Coleridge, Dylan Thomas, Andrew Marvell, Simon Armitage.

Chocolatelovinggran Sat 26-Mar-22 09:15:01

Wendy Cope.

Witzend Sat 26-Mar-22 09:23:50

Re Dylan Thomas, on a long car journey we were once lucky enough to hear a recording of Under Milk Wood, read (IIRC) by Richard Burton. Must have been R4 - it was brilliant.

I don’t really have favourite poets - just an eclectic mix of favourite poems.

Nell8 Sat 26-Mar-22 09:47:05

A random selection -

John Donne, when my brain needs a challenge
Walter de la Mare, for atmosphere and description
Pam Ayres, for common sense and wry humour

grumppa Sat 26-Mar-22 10:11:21

Depends on my mood. Could be Louise Labé and other 16th century French sonneteers, or Ogden Nash!

eazybee Sat 26-Mar-22 10:26:30

Recently discovered WB Yeats, (some of it); I like Larkin, T.S.Eliot, Betjeman, Seamus Heaney, Wendy Cope, Thomas Hardy, (much prefer his poetry to his novels, he actually had a sense of humour), some Tennyson, some Kipling, some Shelley and of course Shakespeare.
There are others; I just don't have a favourite poet.

Leapingminnow Sat 26-Mar-22 11:09:52

I’ve just been given a copy of Farewell Performance by Vernon Scannell which I am really enjoying.

Hellogirl1 Sat 26-Mar-22 17:41:45

I like several poets, but my main requirement is that the poetry rhymes, otherwise to me it`s not poetry. My favourite has to be John Masefield, but my modern taste also runs to Pam Ayres.

Greyduster Sat 26-Mar-22 20:11:44

Wendy Cope; Carole Ann Duffy; W.B. Yeats; Ian MacMillan (the Bard of Barnsley!); Siegfried Sassoon; Robert Graves - countless others, no particular favourites. Love most poetry but can’t get on with the Keats, Wordsworth, Shelley and Co.

Grandma70s Sun 27-Mar-22 16:37:51

I have been reading poetry since I was a little girl. If I had to pick favourites, AE Housman and Shakespeare probably come top. Housman wrote a lot more than A Shropshire Lad, fine though that is.

Nannarose Sun 27-Mar-22 18:37:17

We have an informal poetry group at our local library (whilst it remains open). We range from Leonard Cohen to Patience Strong, John Cooper Clarke to Flower Fairies. Whoever has chosen them tells us why they have chosen that poem and it leads to us all being drawn in to enjoy them.

Doodledog Sun 27-Mar-22 18:45:43

I have too many favourites to mention, and they vary from day to day; but if anyone is looking for a series of poetry books to introduce them to a wide range of poets they could do worse than look at the Being Human series from Bloodaxe. There is Being Human, Staying Human, Being Alive and Staying Alive. All have a wide selection of poems from a wide selection of poets, and there is a mix of older and more modern poems. I love them.

GagaJo Sun 27-Mar-22 18:47:10

To those who said Carol Ann Duffy, I concurr. Fabulous writer! Can even interest (well, not bore) the average 15 year old student.

Ali08 Tue 29-Mar-22 14:29:34

Spike Milligan and loads I can't remember that did daft poems to please my growing mind!

Greyduster Tue 29-Mar-22 15:49:58

To those who said Carol Ann Duffy, I concurr. Fabulous writer! Can even interest (well, not bore) the average 15 year old student.

During her time as Poet Laureate, she wrote a wonderful poem for Remembrance Day called “Last Post”.

I found this when I was trawling through my notes. It makes me smile.

“Another Reason why I don't keep a Gun in the Housel.

The neighbors’ dog will not stop barking.
He is barking the same high, rhythmic bark
that he barks every time they leave the house.
They must switch him on, on their way out.

The neighbors’ dog will not stop barking.
I close all the windows in the house
and put on a Beethoven symphony full blast
but I can still hear him muffled under the music,
barking, barking, barking,

and now I can see him sitting in the orchestra,
his head raised confidently as if Beethoven
had included a part for barking dog.

When the record finally ends he is still barking,
sitting there in the oboe section barking,
his eyes fixed on the conductor who is
entreating him with his baton

while the other musicians listen in respectful