Gransnet forums

Books/book club

Help. Can’t read.

(151 Posts)
Lucca Wed 25-May-22 18:12:59

Started in lockdown but now with chemo etc I just can’t read books. I think I may need to read something light to get me re started. I dont like richard osman stuff or fantasy novels or sci fi. I’m thinking maybe around the Mary Wesley style ? Or tracy chevalier ? Last books I loved were Crawdads, all the light we cannot see. The presidents hat. Any bright ideas ? Please ?!

Urmstongran Wed 29-Jun-22 09:53:55

Have you enjoyed reading any of my recommendations that you bought Lucca? Just curious.
And hoping you are feeling well in yourself at present of course. x

AuntieEleanorsCat Tue 31-May-22 08:04:31

I recommend Crimson Petal & The White Michel Faber. It’s a lengthy read but don’t be put off.

For a lighthearted read I like Carl Hiaasen; laughed out loud on holiday recently.

Lucca Mon 30-May-22 09:06:55

Callistemon21

This has been turned into a film and you may have read it anyway:

The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Mary Ann Shaffer

I have !

I’ll look fir that Indua knight one

Callistemon21 Sun 29-May-22 15:13:36

This has been turned into a film and you may have read it anyway:

The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Mary Ann Shaffer

TerriBull Sun 29-May-22 15:00:32

India Knight has reviewed a debut novel in the Culture magazine of the ST, "The Whalebone Theatre" Joanna Quinn, which she describes as a novel to match the Cazalet Sagas or with the OP in mind, a book for those who might seek out a Mary Wesley for a 20th century novel, She describes this book as pure heaven. I've often agreed with her choices, so I might well order it from my library if it's available.

Lucca Sun 29-May-22 13:45:56

No worries Maw ?

MawtheMerrier Sun 29-May-22 13:24:48

PS - no disrespect, of course not the chemo.
I read the thread title first, then (too late) your original post.
Please don’t think I am dismissing your present situation and accept my apologies and warmest wishes for your future health blush

MawtheMerrier Sun 29-May-22 13:22:17

I could almost wish I had your problem. Ever since I “let myself” get lost in a book during lockdown, when there was no pressure to do anything else, I have become virtually addicted to reading and frequently demolish a book a day. All Kindle purchases of course or I’d be looking for a bigger house but it has taken over my life!
I have recently enjoyed several light but uplifting novels - Jennifer Ryan’s -The Chilbury Ladies’ Choir, The Kitchen Front and The Spies of Shilling Lane, Veronica Henry’s The Impulse Purchase, all of the Andrew Taylor Lydmouth series, several by Liz Fenwick based in Cornwall, as well as Tina Brown’s Palace Papers and A Terrible Kindness by Jo Browning Wroe (highly recommended)
In the meantime the jobs pile up around me, the weeds grow and the dog agitates for a walk!

Aveline Sun 29-May-22 09:55:35

So are you back to being able to concentrate on reading Lucca? I do hope do. It's such a wonderful escape from everyday life.

Lucca Sat 28-May-22 22:30:33

Your suggestions except American dirt and year of wonders which I’d read !

Urmstongran Sat 28-May-22 21:43:28

What books did you order then Lucca? ?

TwinLolly Sat 28-May-22 15:12:02

I suffered from depression for many years and my concentration levels to read a book were terrible. (I'm OK now, fortunately) I resorted to reading magazines and the Reader's Digest. It helped reading short articles smile

Secondwind Sat 28-May-22 07:31:20

Lillian Beckwith wrote a series of books beginning with ‘The Hills is Lonely’. I read them more than 50 years ago and loved them.
I don’t know how they’ve ‘aged’ but I loved them and they are a very easy read.

Lucca Fri 27-May-22 22:56:06

ClaraB

The best 'feel good' book that I read last year was Away with the Penguins by Hazel Prior, it might be a good one to get you back into reading. Good luck with everything.

I’ve read that.

f77ms Fri 27-May-22 20:48:10

Lucca

Started in lockdown but now with chemo etc I just can’t read books. I think I may need to read something light to get me re started. I dont like richard osman stuff or fantasy novels or sci fi. I’m thinking maybe around the Mary Wesley style ? Or tracy chevalier ? Last books I loved were Crawdads, all the light we cannot see. The presidents hat. Any bright ideas ? Please ?!

I couldn't read novels when having Chemo either. I felt too ill in one way or another but it does pass. Try listening to the radio, lots of good things on radio 4 including plays etc.

ClaraB Fri 27-May-22 09:40:32

The best 'feel good' book that I read last year was Away with the Penguins by Hazel Prior, it might be a good one to get you back into reading. Good luck with everything.

Musicgirl Fri 27-May-22 09:17:28

Quichette, I have always loved Miss Read too and they are eminently readable.

Lucca Fri 27-May-22 08:48:22

Nonnadiana

Books by Lucinda Reilly

Already Mentioned upthread several times !

Nonnadiana Fri 27-May-22 08:42:00

Books by Lucinda Reilly

AussieNanna Fri 27-May-22 05:51:16

Cambia

Kristin Hannah are excellent. All different and thoroughly mesmerising

am part way through The Four Winds which I am finding very good. Not light cheery reading though - actually quite harrowing.

Quichette Fri 27-May-22 03:45:59

I am fond of Miss Read.

paddyann54 Thu 26-May-22 23:31:31

I reread Little Women during a trying time ,it was a great favourite when I was young ,I followed it by March the prequel written by Geraldine Brooks and they worked very well together.
Anything by Marion Keyes ,the first of hers I read was Watermelon and I've read them all since
Jodie Picault always has a twist at the end I loved My Sisters Keeper ..the film was rubbish but the book is good .I think I've read all of hers too .I'm on her list for new releases.
My daughter cant read because of health issues but she loves talking books ,shes reading Janey Godleys new one ,its getting rave reviews ..
Hope you find something to get you started ,the first is usually the hardest .Take care x

LizH13 Thu 26-May-22 23:03:02

Most libraries stock a selection called Quick Reads. They are short accessible and engaging stories written by well known authors. Good luck with finding your mojo.

Callistemon21 Thu 26-May-22 22:36:54

Has anyone mentioned the Stephanie Plum novels by Janet Evanovich?

Stephanie is a bounty hunter in New Jersey, the novels about her escapades are engaging and fun. Not my usual genre at all but I really enjoyed them.

The first one is called One for the Money

Patsy70 Thu 26-May-22 21:54:02

‘Ellie and the Harpmaker’ ; ‘Away with the Penguins’; ‘Call of the Penguins’ by Hazel Prior.