Gransnet forums

Books/book club

Help. Can’t read.

(150 Posts)
Lucca Wed 25-May-22 18:12:59

Started in lockdown but now with chemo etc I just can’t read books. I think I may need to read something light to get me re started. I dont like richard osman stuff or fantasy novels or sci fi. I’m thinking maybe around the Mary Wesley style ? Or tracy chevalier ? Last books I loved were Crawdads, all the light we cannot see. The presidents hat. Any bright ideas ? Please ?!

MissAdventure Wed 25-May-22 18:14:32

Maeve Binchy?

welbeck Wed 25-May-22 18:18:13

would talking books help ?
what about some old ones, barbara pym, which i find both comic and deeply insightful.
there are always characters in hers who are just like people i've come across in real life.
and maybe i'm turning into some... oh dear.

OakDryad Wed 25-May-22 18:20:30

I have just read Graham Norton's Holding. I was prepared to be snobbish about it - TV celebrity getting in on the novel market etc but I really enjoyed it. Ballykissangel type community with a murder mystery (but not daft like Osman). I could not put it down and read 300 pages in one sitting. Warm characters (mostly) and a well-constructed story.

SueDonim Wed 25-May-22 18:24:22

Have you read any Anne Tyler novels? They’re family-based stories but with lovely little quirks to them. Deborah Moggach is light and there’s Imogen Clark.

My Family & Other Animals is always worth a read. I’m not sure whether you would want to read about food, if you’re having chemo flowers but One more Croissant for the Road is a very amusing account by Felicity Cloake of her trip round France by bicycle.

BlueBelle Wed 25-May-22 18:25:25

Lucca me too, between my eyes and concentration I have gone from an avid reader to an almost non reader I try little bits but I’m finding it almost impossible to get back to reading a full book

MissAdventure Wed 25-May-22 18:28:51

I find a magazine is sometimes good to dip an and out of.

Ruth Rendell is a bit of a page turner for me, too.

kittylester Wed 25-May-22 18:32:07

Have you tried Joanna Trollope?

dragonfly46 Wed 25-May-22 18:36:58

I know just what you mean Lucca. I too found it hard to concentrate when I had chemo. I started again with books I had previously loved like Rebecca, A Town Like Alice and other short books. Nothing too taxing!

Squiffy Wed 25-May-22 18:39:06

Someone ( FannyC, I think) recommended this book on another thread, ‘A Short History of Tractors in Ukranian’. Don’t let the title put you off! I stopped reading books a while ago, don’t know why, just couldn’t be bothered, but I couldn’t put this one down! It’s very amusing!

Squiffy Wed 25-May-22 18:40:19

Thank you, FannyC for getting me back into reading! ?

fairfraise Wed 25-May-22 18:55:24

I always find Alexander McCall Smith light reading especially the Isabel Dalhousie ones. Nothing much happens and they are largely observations of human behaviour which can make you smile.

saltnshake Wed 25-May-22 19:09:12

I have just finished Miss Benson's Beetle. Loved it. Worth a try.

Lucca Wed 25-May-22 19:24:24

Squiffy

Someone ( FannyC, I think) recommended this book on another thread, ‘A Short History of Tractors in Ukranian’. Don’t let the title put you off! I stopped reading books a while ago, don’t know why, just couldn’t be bothered, but I couldn’t put this one down! It’s very amusing!

Read it

Lucca Wed 25-May-22 19:24:58

kittylester

Have you tried Joanna Trollope?

Yes.

Lucca Wed 25-May-22 19:26:19

welbeck

would talking books help ?
what about some old ones, barbara pym, which i find both comic and deeply insightful.
there are always characters in hers who are just like people i've come across in real life.
and maybe i'm turning into some... oh dear.

I’ve read some Barbara Pym but I’ll look fir more.
I want to read I think rather than listen

Callistemon21 Wed 25-May-22 19:26:32

Squiffy

FannyC and I both enjoyed it.
The author is Marina Lewycka and she also wrote We Are All Made of Glue

Although I usually pass on paperbacks, I couldn't give them away because I'll want to read them again, most unusual for me.

Callistemon21 Wed 25-May-22 19:32:01

Read it

Oh, apologies, I read that afterwards.

Have you read The No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency series by Alexander McCall Smith?

Have you tried novels by Joanna Nell?
Rather poignant but amusing too.
The Single Ladies of Jacaranda Retirement Village is her first novel.

Callistemon21 Wed 25-May-22 19:35:40

M C Beaton books about Agatha Raisin (better, apparently, than the TV series).
She also wrote books about Scottish policeman Hamish Macbeth, better than the Agatha ones imo.

Germanshepherdsmum Wed 25-May-22 19:42:08

I‘ve found it difficult to concentrate lately and have found collections of short stories helpful.

Jaylou Wed 25-May-22 19:47:17

Have you thought of non-fiction in a subject that interest you? I find as I get older I have become more interested in old history, tudors etc. (I'm not that old though!)

JaneJudge Wed 25-May-22 19:49:00

patrick gale?
they are pretty easy reading and marina lewycka?

JaneJudge Wed 25-May-22 19:50:04

sorry i have just realised my second recommendation has already been suggested
I have a short attention span

Urmstongran Wed 25-May-22 19:50:53

Lucca regards reading we are kindred spirits! Who’d have thought we could be alike somewhere along the way?
?

Everything you liked, I did.
All the genres you don’t like, I don’t like them either!

I’ve just searched through my Kindle and would thoroughly recommend these 4 novels to you.

No. 1

Urmstongran Wed 25-May-22 19:51:24

No. 2