Gransnet forums

Books/book club

For those of you who enjoyed resding Where the Crawdads Sing

(39 Posts)
CocoPops Tue 19-Jul-22 04:02:09

I went to see the movie last night and thoroughly enjoyed it.

JackyB Tue 26-Jul-22 07:03:25

Shirley48

I enjoyed the book. Saw the film this week and found it very sanitised - you didn’t get the feeling of the likely filth and smells of the swamp. All the clothes were spotlessly clean and the environment was almost always bathed in glowing sunlight. Nevertheless, I enjoyed it!

Mark Kermode also said "No one gets their hands dirty" - it seems that many people feel this way about it.

Urmstongran Tue 26-Jul-22 10:20:52

I thought the book was great. I read it during lockdown in 2020 and recommended it highly to others. I think I’ll swerve the cinema although might be tempted when it eventually lands on Netflix! Thanks for that link MOnica it was interesting and to be honest, that photograph at the start of the article is EXACTLY how I had imagined Kya’s home to look, so I’m impressed already!

Esmay Thu 28-Jul-22 18:46:18

The book is on my list .
I thoroughly recommend the film .
Not too many alligators !

TerriBull Fri 29-Jul-22 08:35:59

I read the book, excellent! saw the trailer I thought it looked worth watching, but the reviews aren't favourable, so maybe I'll wait till it's on Netflix or wherever. Daisy Edgar Jones, as wonderful as she was in Normal People, looks too well turned out Jack Wills clad to convince as the feral girl Kya eeking out a solitary existence on meagre rations whilst living in a shack all alone on the edge of the remote bayous of Louisiana.

merlotgran Fri 29-Jul-22 09:29:05

Going to see the film today in Port Solent with DD and DGD. We’ll no doubt go for something to eat and a browse around the shops afterwards.

Farzanah Fri 29-Jul-22 09:32:59

I loved the book but after poor reviews may give it a miss. Would rather remember it as read. Seems its had a glamour makeover!

Riverwalk Fri 05-Aug-22 18:12:16

I loved the book and today went to see the film. Take no notice of the poor reviews - the film is great and two hours sped by.

Whether you've read the book or not, watch to the very end for the twist - I'd forgotten the ending, as is my wont!

Lucca regarding alligators... within the first minute or so there is a brief glimpse of one, then that's it no more gaters! smile

CanadianGran Fri 05-Aug-22 19:18:46

I loved the book, and look forward to seeing the film. Years ago I travelled to North Carolina and went on a tour of the marshlands. I hope that the film captures the beauty of the wetlands I remember.

BlueSapphire Sun 07-Aug-22 20:50:19

All I can say is if you have read the book and enjoyed it, then do do not hesitate to watch the film; it is excellent!

Shinamae Sun 07-Aug-22 21:23:26

I have not read the book but thoroughly enjoyed the film.

nanna8 Wed 10-Aug-22 12:52:04

It’s a good film and ,yes, Kye does look very clean and wholesome but it didn’t particularly bother me. Nice twist at the end as in the book.

seadragon Fri 16-Sep-22 14:48:33

My husband, having heard the radio version, recommended the book to me. I loved it and was delighted to find the film was on show locally - in Orkney! - so soon after publication. We attended an afternoon showing, along with other pensioners, and were not the only viewers who sat for a long time after the credits had rolled past with tears streaming down our faces. For us, t was a beautiful clear interpretation of the kind of love that is seldom portrayed these days whilst still showing how destructive another kind of 'love' can become. I found it true to the book and just accepted its beauty as a key part of its message(s)....

Fleurpepper Fri 16-Sep-22 15:24:13

Not read the book, but went to see the film the other day. Just wonderful. With the young actress from the series 'Ordinary people'.