Gransnet forums

Books/book club

Hilary Mantel

(38 Posts)
Grandmabatty Fri 23-Sep-22 11:31:56

I've just heard she has died. It was quite a shock as she wasn't old. A great writer.

BlushingSheep Fri 23-Sep-22 14:15:05

I've just seen the news and was upset to hear it.
I love her 'Wolf Hall' trilogy too. Amazing writing and for someone whose interests include the Tudor dynasty, they tick my boxes for historical accuracy (as far as a fictional work can) which is always a plus for me.
RIP Hilary.

TwiceAsNice Fri 23-Sep-22 16:01:05

So sorry to hear this such a talented writer. Loved the Cromwell trilogy you thought you were there. 70 is really young she’s only one year older than me, makes you think about your mortality

MayBee70 Fri 23-Sep-22 16:15:10

I listened to The Mirror and the Light on book at bedtime at the start of the pandemic: it was the start of me using BBC Sounds to escape from things that worried me. Then saw a couple of documentaries about her her and found her absolutely delightful. What a great loss to the literary world. She must have had so much more to give.

AGAA4 Fri 23-Sep-22 16:27:10

I read the Thomas Cromwell trilogy. Hilary Mantel was a talented writer and it's sad that she has died.

3dognight Fri 23-Sep-22 17:41:18

MayBee70

I listened to The Mirror and the Light on book at bedtime at the start of the pandemic: it was the start of me using BBC Sounds to escape from things that worried me. Then saw a couple of documentaries about her her and found her absolutely delightful. What a great loss to the literary world. She must have had so much more to give.

I did exactly the same MayBee.

I did a fair bit of ‘escaping’ with BBC Sounds, at that time.

She was a delightful woman.
RIP Hilary.

grannydarkhair Fri 23-Sep-22 20:00:18

To quote JKR, “we’ve lost a genius”.
HM herself found it quite amusing and a little exasperating when people told her they wished she’d started writing earlier in her life - she started at 21. But one has to wonder what other wonderful books she might have written?
I really hope her death encourages people to try some of her books other than the Wolf Hall trilogy. I loved the one about the French Revolution, A Place of Greater Safety.
RIP Hilary

MayBee70 Fri 23-Sep-22 20:27:10

Didn’t she write an autobiography as well?

Sara1954 Fri 23-Sep-22 20:28:41

Very sad, I’ve read quite a few of her books, but the Wolf Hall trilogy was fantastic, I’ve always been a little bit in love with Thomas Cromwell since reading them.
RIP Hillary,

Sara1954 Fri 23-Sep-22 20:29:36

Maybe70
Her autobiography is definitely worth a read.

Clawdy Fri 30-Sep-22 08:10:08

Saw her speaking twice at the Oxford Lit Fest and was lucky enough to have her sign my copy of Bring Up The Bodies. A great speaker as well as writer.

Prentice Fri 30-Sep-22 08:20:37

Do read her memoir Giving Up The Ghost, it is as you would expect, wonderfully written, amusing, tragic at times.
She grew up near Manchester in an Irish Catholic family and was always a thin angelic looking girl but with the mind of a warrior knight, the two things not really being compatible.
The book jumps about in time which I liked, juxtaposing different elements of her life.
RIP ‘our ‘Ilary’ I shall miss the books that you now cannot write.

Sparklefizz Sat 01-Oct-22 17:32:20

Sara1954

Very sad, I’ve read quite a few of her books, but the Wolf Hall trilogy was fantastic, I’ve always been a little bit in love with Thomas Cromwell since reading them.
RIP Hillary,

HM made Cromwell human whereas he'd previously been portrayed as a bit of a monster. And Mark Rylance brought him to life on tv.