Gransnet forums

Books/book club

The Author Anita Shreve

(10 Posts)
Sparklefizz Mon 26-Dec-22 08:10:49

If you like books about families and relationships, I have just finished "Body Surfing" by Anita Shreve and thoroughly enjoyed it. It's quite an old book of hers, and I have read several in the past - some better than others - but I would say this is one of her best.

BlueSapphire Mon 26-Dec-22 10:09:23

My favourite Anita Shreve is 'The Last Time They Met'.

Sparklefizz Mon 26-Dec-22 10:59:39

Thank you. I'll look out for that one.

AussieGran59 Thu 29-Dec-22 07:45:51

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

BigBertha1 Thu 29-Dec-22 08:57:04

Anita Shreve has always been my favourite author and The Last Time we met my favourite book. She is an absolute master of prose and her grammar is meticulous and I love that. Enjoy reading her books. smile

Sarah74 Thu 29-Dec-22 19:57:16

I think she writes well about relationships and families. I liked “The Pilot’s Wife”.

PinkCosmos Tue 25-Apr-23 15:15:22

I enjoyed the four books that were based around the same area of New Hampshire but in different times. The series is called Fortune's Rocks.

The four books are:

Fortune's Rocks
Sea Glass
The Pilot's Wife
Body Surfing

I did actually read a couple of them before realising that it was a series. They are actually stand alone books though. It is just the location that is the same.

I also enjoyed The Stars are Fire

Oopsadaisy1 Tue 25-Apr-23 15:22:53

I’ve read all of her books, all excellent, except for her last one I thought. When I started reading her books they were quite difficult to get hold of, so I bought some over from the US, much cheaper, but easier to get hold of in the U.K. now I think.

JackyB Tue 25-Apr-23 15:30:35

Thanks for the reminder - I read a few of hers when I still read tree books, so I shall download a couple to read after I've finished the one I'm on at the moment.

CanadianGran Tue 25-Apr-23 21:45:47

JackyB, since you mentioned tree books, I think you might enjoy Greenwood by Michael Christie. It was a runner up for a prize here, and is worth reading.

Totally off topic of Anita Shreve...