Gransnet forums

Books/book club

2023 - 50 BOOK CHALLENGE

(1001 Posts)
TerriBull Sun 01-Jan-23 07:26:08

Happy New Year GN readers, here it is the all new 50 Books for 2023.

Once again that 50 figure is a mere benchmark to aspire to, if you would like to join in and don't think you will reach 50, please don't let that deter you from partaking in the challenge. I imagine some of you will know that I got the idea for 50 Books from MN they also have one on their site for 25 Books a Year, but their reading community is considerable, ours of course is much smaller so I think starting up two different threads is unnecessary here on GN, I guess anyone who thinks 50 is a daunting number could maybe state they'll aim for 25, but I'll leave that up to the individual.

Primarily this thread will hopefully be ongoing throughout the year for book lovers who enjoy discussing what they've read. Do come here with your recommendations, similarly if you haven't enjoyed a book feel free to say so. Either way it's good to have a range of opinions, or just merely state your reads in a list form if you don't much care for waffling on.

For any newcomers, the choice of book is entirely up to you and can include fiction, non fiction, biographies memoirs, audio/Audible, even a favourite childhood book should you fancy a trip down memory lane.

So that's it! let's commence and happy 2023 reading.

I haven't got book number 1 yet, still reading The Ink Black Heart, 900 pages in with only a 100 to go now, but I included it in last year's total, so I'll start my number 1 in a day or so.

Sara1954 Sun 01-Jan-23 17:39:33

Pigma
Hope you won’t be disappointed, it’s a bit unsettling, but I really enjoyed it

Sara1954 Sun 01-Jan-23 17:41:22

I’ll look forward to hearing your thoughts on it

SueDonim Sun 01-Jan-23 19:24:27

Thank you for the new thread, Terribull. This really is one of my favourites on GN. How lovely see new members joining as well. smile

My first read of 2023, which I began last night, is The Midnight Library by Matt Haig.

Happy reading, everyone! 📚

foxie48 Sun 01-Jan-23 19:31:37

I started the thread last year but didn't follow through although i'd found it so useful in finding new books to read. I've just finished the Marriage Portrait by Maggie O'Farrell, highly recommend and am currently reading Demon Copperhead by Barbara Kingsolver, which I'm really enjoying.

Greyduster Sun 01-Jan-23 19:53:50

I started out quite well on the last thread and then dropped off the radar, but am glad we’ve started again. Thankyou, Terribull. My first book this year is “Bones of Avalon” by Phil Rickman. An Elizabethan whodunnit featuring Dr John Dee, astrologer and consultant to Queen Elizabeth in “matters of the hidden” (paranormal) and his unintended side kick, the Earl of Dudley. There are two books in the series and I didn’t realise until I was given this one that I have tackled them in the wrong order.

notgoneyet Sun 01-Jan-23 21:42:13

Thank you Terribull

bonji Sun 01-Jan-23 22:08:18

Thank you Terribull for starting us off again. Sadly I’m another of those who start off on this thread with all good intentions but fall by the wayside. I love reading although these days it is just for simple enjoyment so will really try to make the effort to give an opinion on the books I read as I do find what others write very helpful.

BigBertha1 Sun 01-Jan-23 22:31:22

New here too. I'm reading The Paris Apartment by Lucy Foley and 're reading an old favourite the Cazalet Chronicles by Elizabeth Jane Howard. I'm on the second book of the 5 Marking Time. So I have a modern day read and a historical both very light reading.

Cs783 Sun 01-Jan-23 22:49:02

I’ve just read Jodi Picoult ‘Keeping Faith’ for my reading group, and it’s my second recent one of hers. She’s a skilled plotter and ‘what if-er’ and though I appreciate the skill I need to be more interested in the premise. I wasn’t drawn to ‘what if a child’s invisible friend is God?’ especially highly coloured by a US context.

Really looking forward to Kingsolver’s ‘Demon Copperhead’ and Atkinson’s ‘Shrines of Gaiety’. They’re both arrived at the same time via library reservation, both are whoppers, and as they’re in demand I won’t be able to renew, so I’ll have to get cracking. A good time of year for getting stuck in I hope.

Hellogirl1 Sun 01-Jan-23 23:51:20

Started my first book of 2023 this morning, Dancing and Dreams on Diamond Street,by Craig Revel Horwood. Not my usual genre, but it was a present, so will read it, who knows, I might end up loving it!

Sparklefizz Mon 02-Jan-23 07:13:52

Pigma I totally agree! Three Hours by Rosamund Lupton was absolutely unputdownable.

Anyone read her book Afterwards ?

teabagwoman Mon 02-Jan-23 07:19:34

I’m new here as well. I read on my IPad and listen to audio books as am partially sighted. Often have an audio book, a novel and a non fiction book on the go though I do get confused from time to time. My first book of the year is Reginald Hill’s Death’s Jest Book.

Thank you for running this thread Terri, I’m hoping it will widen my reading choices, I’ve got into rather a rut.

eazybee Mon 02-Jan-23 09:11:48

This will double as a New Year's resolution, to list all the books I read in a year to see if I do read fifty.
Have just started Next to Nature by Ronald Blythe (anyone remember his Akenfield ?), an anthology of writings about nature, the mainly Suffolk countryside, literary ramblings and anecdotes about friends and the famous, dead and alive. A delightful book for dipping into, just right for now.

Sparklefizz Mon 02-Jan-23 09:45:42

I really liked The Appeal Sara, but I know some people didn't get on with the format of an unfolding narrative through emails. However, I didn't get on with her follow up "The Twyford Code" I found it very confusing.

Ditto TerriBull. I enjoyed The Appeal as it was something different, but gave up with The Twyford Code. Life's too short to persevere with books I don't like smile

Sparklefizz Mon 02-Jan-23 09:48:43

Big Bertha I really loved the Cazalet Chronicles.

Thank you TerriBull for letting me join this Group - I'm loving it already.

Sara1954 Mon 02-Jan-23 10:45:40

Sparklefizz
So far am really enjoying The Appeal , finding it hard to put down.
What a cast of dreadful characters, I’m not sure if I have any suspicions yet, Isobel is frightful, but that doesn’t mean she’s a murderer, and Martin is suspicious, and then there’s the African story, can’t wait to get back into it, but the sun is shining today, so it’s time for some fresh air.

Grandmabatty Mon 02-Jan-23 10:50:44

I'm halfway through The Twyford Code but it's really not grabbing my interest

Pigma Mon 02-Jan-23 10:56:11

I haven’t read Afterwards, Sparklefizz, but it’s now on my list! So many books, so little time - something will have to give, maybe the cleaning, cooking and ironing! Totally agree with the general consensus that The Appeal was a good read but didn’t finish The Twyford Code. Oooh, been meaning to read the Cazalet Chronicles for years, they are on the list now as well. Also just noticed there is a new Elly Griffith - Bleeding Heart Yard - anyone read that yet?

BladeAnnie Mon 02-Jan-23 10:59:45

I'd like to join this year please - another newbie!! Mr BA bought me "This much is true" (Miriam Margolyes) for Christmas and I've just started reading it. I know she is a "marmite" character but I really like her and the first couple of chapters have not disappointed

Sparklefizz Mon 02-Jan-23 11:02:38

Also just noticed there is a new Elly Griffith - Bleeding Heart Yard - anyone read that yet?

Pigma I think it comes out in a week or so. I've put in a reservation at the library.

Pigma Mon 02-Jan-23 11:10:01

Oh, thanks, Sparklefizz. I’ll do the same.

Grandyma Mon 02-Jan-23 11:30:05

I’d love to join in! I’m currently reading Do Not Disturb by Claire Douglas. My favourites from the latter part of 2022 were Shuggie Bain by Douglas Stuart and Where the Crawdads Sing by Delia Owens.

BladeAnnie Mon 02-Jan-23 12:30:52

Grandyma I really enjoyed Do not Disturb - read just before Christmas

Calendargirl Mon 02-Jan-23 12:48:46

#1. The Sleeping And The Dead by Ann Cleeves.

Sarah74 Mon 02-Jan-23 12:54:51

Just started The Professor of Poetry by Grace McCleen. It’s an old book from 2013. Impressed with the writing so farsmile

This discussion thread has reached a 1000 message limit, and so cannot accept new messages.
Start a new discussion