Gransnet forums

Books/book club

En la sombra

(16 Posts)
Joseanne Thu 05-Jan-23 23:41:45

I'm trying to understand whether some of Harry's words we are reading might have been lost in translation. What I mean is, has it been translated twice ... from the English (original) to Spanish, and then from Spanish to English. Will the tone of the actual book read differently from what we already have?

Lexisgranny Thu 05-Jan-23 23:42:58

It’s certainly a thought, we can but hope.

TerriBull Fri 06-Jan-23 07:35:36

I imagine there would have been numerous red hot translators working on the book with that much at stake.

Joseanne Fri 06-Jan-23 07:51:27

If even the titles Spare/In the Shade have slightly different nuances when it comes to translating, then that must be the same for the barrative throughout the book. And in any of the other languages. I wonder how many languages it has been published in? It must be quite something to have your book go worldwide.

Joseanne Fri 06-Jan-23 07:52:03

*narrative

Sarah75 Fri 06-Jan-23 07:54:32

Yes, why was it not called de repuesto?

TerriBull Fri 06-Jan-23 07:59:00

I agree about nuance in the way translations aren't always literal, possibly "spare" doesn't resonate in the context of the Royal second son as it does here.

NotSpaghetti Fri 06-Jan-23 08:05:36

The nuance of the title is different, certainly.
"Spare" is more aggressive I feel.
I think the use of single word titles (in English anyway) do tend to be particularly pointed and direct.
I think I read 16 languages. It may be interesting to see what other titles have been chosen.

NotSpaghetti Fri 06-Jan-23 08:11:48

On Amazon:
Il minore
(In Italian)

NotSpaghetti Fri 06-Jan-23 08:14:49

Le Suppléant - French edition.

Fleurpepper Fri 06-Jan-23 09:08:22

The sales of the book around the world will confirm the massive interest out there for the Royal Family.

MawtheMerrier Fri 06-Jan-23 09:36:53

Fleurpepper

The sales of the book around the world will confirm the massive interest out there for the Royal Family.

Couldn’t possibly match the interest here on GN though tcrgrintcrgrin

NotSpaghetti Fri 06-Jan-23 10:06:24

Maw grin

Joseanne Fri 06-Jan-23 10:16:17

😃
It would be hypocritical on my part to say I'm not interested in the RF, but on this thread it is the translation aspect that fascinates me. If the book itself was written by a ghost writer, then translated into foreign languages, then in this Spanish case translated back into English, it makes me think it must be Banquo or similar that we see before us when we are reading it 4th hand. 👻 👻

Fleurpepper Fri 06-Jan-23 10:58:21

Chinese whispers.

It is an exercise I used to do with my 6th Formers who studied both French and German. Do a translation from one to t'other, and on to the next, and go back via translation to the original. Amazing results. All translations are a compromise - contracts, less so, and poetry hugely so, and everything in between.

Joseanne Fri 06-Jan-23 11:16:41

Now how do I translate dog's bowl into French?