Gransnet forums

Books/book club

What was your favourite book/books as a child?

(127 Posts)
LRavenscroft Mon 09-Jan-23 14:50:20

I still remember clearly my favourite book being the Wind in the Willows. I also loved Heidi. What was your favourite book/books as a child?

tanith Mon 09-Jan-23 15:01:37

Heidi was also my favourite.

Sweetpeasue Mon 09-Jan-23 15:04:05

Difficult to choose
What Katy Did, The Magic Faraway tree (Enid Byton)

winterwhite Mon 09-Jan-23 15:04:27

Joan Selby Lowndes, Royal Chase. At age 8-9, Dunno why. It had a sequel called Tudor Star and she wrote others.

The Secret Garden, but that wasn't comfort reading or for every day.

Younger than that, The Folk of the Faraway Tree

Auntieflo Mon 09-Jan-23 15:05:41

Miskoo the Lucky
The Wide Wide World
All the Katy books

Squiffy Mon 09-Jan-23 15:08:08

The Borrowers (I so wanted to have Borrowers in our house!)

I Capture the Castle

MiniMoon Mon 09-Jan-23 15:08:35

I read a book when I was 11. I think it's title was Torie or Torrie. It was about a covered wagon train in the days when settlers headed into the American west. I loved that book, but have never been able to find it since.
My favourite book was a collection of Hans Christian Andersen's fairy tales.

62Granny Mon 09-Jan-23 15:09:58

I loved the famous five and secret seven books by Enid Blyton

DaisyAlice Mon 09-Jan-23 15:39:15

Ginger's Adventures.
Ginger's bedroom was a kennel
In the garden, by a wall
Where he often lay a dozing
Waiting for his friend to call.
smile

dogsmother Mon 09-Jan-23 15:42:57

So many. Probably The Water Babies. Although as a child I was a bit of a bookworm and loved to read and read. Dr Doolittle was another.

M0nica Mon 09-Jan-23 15:47:59

I preferred books on anything factual, to stories. I still have the very battered Children's Encyclopedia my grandmother gave me for my 8th birthday.

Juno56 Mon 09-Jan-23 15:48:53

The first book I can remember clearly, loved and read repeatedly is, I'm rather uncomfortable admitting and I may get flack for it, The Story of Little Black Sambo 😕.
When I was a bit older I loved the Famous Five books, the Katy books, Heidi, Ballet Shoes, Chalet School, Anne of Green Gables, Narnia series and many more. Reading has been one of the great pleasures of my life.

Yammy Mon 09-Jan-23 15:50:03

Little House on the Prairie and all the rest of the set.When younger Little grey Rabbit by Allison Uttley.

NotAGran55 Mon 09-Jan-23 15:50:43

All the Famous Five books. I wished it had been the Famous Six to include me.

CatsCatsCats Mon 09-Jan-23 15:51:20

The Mystery books by Enid Blyton - I still read crime novels to this day.

Yammy Mon 09-Jan-23 15:54:57

Juno56

The first book I can remember clearly, loved and read repeatedly is, I'm rather uncomfortable admitting and I may get flack for it, The Story of Little Black Sambo 😕.
When I was a bit older I loved the Famous Five books, the Katy books, Heidi, Ballet Shoes, Chalet School, Anne of Green Gables, Narnia series and many more. Reading has been one of the great pleasures of my life.

I wouldn't worry about Little Black Sambo I think it was very popular when we were young.
We have a full set of DH's he insisted on reading them to our DDs and they still talk about the ghee.
I'm going to be controversial now and say what is the difference between them and say Jungle book. Both books are about parts of the world and animals we considered exotic when young.

Tweedle24 Mon 09-Jan-23 15:59:40

All the children’s classics, What Katy Did series, Children of the New Forest, Secret Garden, BlackBeauty, Little Women series, anything by Enid Blyton etc. All too many to list.

Zoejory Mon 09-Jan-23 16:00:10

Tom's Midnight Garden I used to get it from the library. I adore it. My mother asked is she could buy it from the library and they agreed. I still have it now.

Germanshepherdsmum Mon 09-Jan-23 16:05:31

I particularly remember from when I was very young a little book about Kanga the kangaroo who lost her pocket and had nowhere to keep her red and white spotted hanky. Her animal friends made her a new pocket from pussy willow buds. I loved that book!

LRavenscroft Mon 09-Jan-23 16:09:16

Zoejory

Tom's Midnight Garden I used to get it from the library. I adore it. My mother asked is she could buy it from the library and they agreed. I still have it now.

I'll let you into a little secret. I am reading Tom's Midnight Garden in my 7th decade and am loving it. It is so magical.

GrannyGravy13 Mon 09-Jan-23 16:14:03

All the shoe books by Noel Streatfield

The Chronicles of Narnia (must start with The Magicians Nephew) C S Lewis.

The Katy books, Susan Coolidge

Mallory Towers books, Enid Blyton

Along with any Horse related stories.

Greenfinch Mon 09-Jan-23 16:15:13

Snugglepot and Cuddlepie. I was living in Australia at the time.

Kate1949 Mon 09-Jan-23 16:21:29

The Secret Garden.
Black Beauty.

Grandmadinosaur Mon 09-Jan-23 16:24:09

For me it was Heidi, the Mallory Towers books,Anne of Green Gables and Little women.

Grandma70s Mon 09-Jan-23 16:24:44

The Katy books probably came top. I only stopped reading those when I actually knew what the next sentence was going to say.

Anything by Noel Streatfeild - and yes, that is how she spelt her name. Not -field.

Jill’s Gymkhana, during my horsey phase.