Gransnet forums

Books/book club

What is your favourite novel, and why?

(304 Posts)
Doodledog Sun 26-Feb-23 21:07:07

I was asked this question yesterday (at a literary event), and my mind just went blank. I grasped at straws, and said Great Expectations, which is a very good book, but probably not my favourite of all time. Coming home on the bus, I started to think about what I would say if someone asked me again, but I'm not much further forward really.

How would you answer that question? Do you have a favourite novel, and do you know why you love it? If you can't make up your mind, what are your top three (or four or five, if that's easier)? You can change your mind tomorrow, so don't let the question faze you like it did me grin.

My list would probably include:
Maus by Art Speigleman, although maybe that shouldn't count, as it is a graphic novel
The Women's Room by Marilyn French, although it is probably terribly dated.
The Woman Who Walked Into Doors, or pretty much anything by Roddy Doyle, who is the only male author I know who can write convincingly from the point of view of a woman, but I've changed my mind already writing that (other contenders are The Autobiography of Henry VIII by Margaret George, Life of Pi by Yann Martel and The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini) and as soon as I see other people's choices I will change it again.

what are yours?

Rosie51 Sun 26-Feb-23 23:48:48

I really couldn't choose, it would change with each remembered book, but ones that made a big impact on me at various times would be Little Women, A Town Like Alice, The Diary of a Young Girl, I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings, and finally a play that was intended initially to be a book so I'm including it A Taste of Honey.

V3ra Mon 27-Feb-23 00:07:46

As a child "Black Beauty" was a book I read and re-read, and always cried at poor Ginger's fate.

As an adult a favourite has been "The Island" by Victoria Hislop.
We went to Spinalonga on a day trip one summer.
I read the book after I came home and could picture exactly the locations in the book. Very moving.

Mizuna Mon 27-Feb-23 01:25:32

Mervyn Peake's 'Mr Pye.' I simply love the style of writing, eg someone is described as having a facial expression 'like the top of a mushroom'. I love 'Gormenghast' too, by the same author.

hollysteers Mon 27-Feb-23 01:49:37

“A Lost Lady” Willa Cather, “Ethan Frome” Edith Wharton and all Colette’s novels.

Georgesgran Mon 27-Feb-23 04:32:38

Hard to pick a favourite, but I’ve read and re-read Rebecca so many times - definitely on my shortlist.

MrsKen33 Mon 27-Feb-23 05:09:51

Jane Eyre. I did it for GCE and then again for my degree. Loved it always.

Sara1954 Mon 27-Feb-23 06:04:04

Glammagran
Your choice of ‘Lessons’ surprised me, I am about half way through, and I’m not particularly enjoying it, but I’ve still got a way to go.

BlueBalou Mon 27-Feb-23 06:30:36

I don’t think I have ever reread a book but Jane Eyre or Rebecca would be mine I think.

M0nica Mon 27-Feb-23 06:44:11

I don't read much fiction and I'm hopeless at modern novels, but I think my all time favourite is Jane Austen's Persuasion. Her portrayal of Anne Elliot's emotional reactions to the reappearance of her former lover and having to endure close proximity when no-one knows their past history is absolutely perfect. Happy ending too.

MaizieD Me too, on novels in general and Persuasion in particular.

Have your read the alternative ending, that JA rejected? You can find it here www.mollands.net/etexts/persuasion/prscancel.html. It pulses with a sexual tension, lacking in the final version. I think I prefer it.

More generally, when I do read novels they tend to be 19th century. In recent years I have discovered the author Mrs Oliphant. Her novel Hester is about the power and ability of women, in the first half of the 19th century, with a woman who rescues the family bank when her cousin ruins it and her relationship 20 years later with her cousins 14 year old daughter and over the next 10 years.

I read it again and again over about a year. I cannot understand why it has never made it to television.

grandMattie Mon 27-Feb-23 06:54:12

Oh dear, where to start?
Little Women, I Capture the Castle, My Family and Other Animals, To Kill a Mockingbird, Never Let me go - Ishiguro, most recently, “Lessons in Chemistry”. The Time Traveller’s Wife! Most of Margaret Atwood, ditto William Boyd, Paul Torbay…
I could go on. The books that make me think without being preachy…

Chocolatelovinggran Mon 27-Feb-23 06:57:48

Another vote for the golden triof Little Women as a girl, and A Thousand Splendid Suns as a woman. I would add a mention for a book which was made into a film - The Caine Mutiny. It's a fascinating study of people in war and of (maybe?) manipulation.

Chocolatelovinggran Mon 27-Feb-23 06:58:12

duo of !

Calendargirl Mon 27-Feb-23 07:24:40

I read the sequel dotpocka, but still not really how I envisaged it!

NanKate Mon 27-Feb-23 07:28:03

As a child I loved *Wind in the Willows’ - still do.

DanniRae Mon 27-Feb-23 07:43:47

I too loved "Wind in the Willows" - I remember it being read to us when I was in primary school.
As an adult there are so many. I love "Mariana" by Monica Dickens - "A Town Like Alice" by Nevil Shute - most of Rosamunde Pilcher's books, especially "The Shell Seekers" - "Coming Home" and "Winter Solstice" and most books by Elizabeth Elgin.

Blondiescot Mon 27-Feb-23 08:02:23

Black Beauty as a child, but my all-time favourite is Sylvia Plath's The Bell Jar. No other book has ever spoken to me in the way it did. I could relate to it in so many ways.

TerriBull Mon 27-Feb-23 08:21:53

Really, really hard, but if I were to choose an absolute number 1 I think I'd opt for Star of the Sea by Joseph O'Conner but all of these would be hot on the heels of that for me and in no particular order, Middlesex - Jeffrey Eugenides, The Blind Assassin and Alias Grace Margaret Atwood, The Poisonwood Bible Barbara Kingsolver, The Crimson Petal and The White - Michel Faber, Life after Life - Kate Atkinson, The Quincunx - Charles Palliser, Angela's Ashes - Frank McCourt, The Goldfinch - Donna Tart, The Heart's Invisible Furies - John Boyne, Shadow of the Wind Carlos Ruiz Zafon. Asta's Book, Barbara Vine, The American Boy Andrew Taylor. I'probably read these in the past 20 years or so but to go back further, I can remember my mother passing me a tome of hers when I was aged around 15 moaning about being bored, that tome was Gone with the Wind. I remember feeling pretty bereft when I finished it. In my 20s, maybe when I wasn't reading quite as much, on holiday I read The Thorn Birds and that also stayed with me long after I'd finished it.

So to answer the question of "why" it's that, books that stay with you long after finishing , feeling so immersed and lost in them that you never want the book to end and then feeling bereft when inevitably it does and knowing possibly it will be a long time before finding anything as good again. I always have a book on the go some will be great, many forgettable but that extra special quality only comes along infrequently there's a kind of deep satisfaction when it hits you at some stage into it knowing this is going to be a special one and afterwards you want to tell others about it.

Favourite childhood book The Water Babies Charles Kingsley.

I'll kick myself if I've forgotten anything.

LRavenscroft Mon 27-Feb-23 08:33:16

The Ring of Bright Water Trilogy by Gavin Maxwell and film and song of the same. Elizabeth Goudge books. I love anything to do with nature, wildness and atmospheric descriptions so I am transported to that spot.

pensionpat Mon 27-Feb-23 08:34:39

My favourite author is John Irving. The World According to Garp and The Cider House Rules have both been made into pretty decent films, although his books are so complex that a film makes a poor second. But the book that stands out is A prayer for Owen Meany. I re-read it regularly. It is so satisfying. All the ends are sewn up, and all questions answered. The theme of the book is Love, Loss and faith, with a mixture of tragedy and comedy.

Sara1954 Mon 27-Feb-23 08:34:57

TerriBull
Lots of my favourites in there, and a couple I haven’t read, but will add to my list.

Sara1954 Mon 27-Feb-23 08:36:53

Pensionpat
I love John Irving as well, Owen Meany is a really clever book, but I’ve enjoyed them all.

Wyllow3 Mon 27-Feb-23 08:40:46

Yes, impossible, as it depends on mood, I've read so much, but if it has to be one, its The Secret Garden.

Riverwalk Mon 27-Feb-23 08:41:58

It's like trying to name your favourite grandchild! I love so many of those already mentioned but for now I'm going with Cannery Row by John Steinbeck.

pensionpat Mon 27-Feb-23 08:43:30

Sara you are the person I’ve “met” who has read any John Irving. Kindred spirits!

Riverwalk Mon 27-Feb-23 08:46:27

I too loved A Prayer For Owen Meany.

I can hear that high-pitched voice - so very cleverly written!