Gransnet forums

Books/book club

Finally read ‘Spare’

(243 Posts)
nanna8 Fri 28-Jul-23 10:23:40

I wasn’t going to pay for it so I waited until the library had it. Glad I didn’t pay for it, having read it. Not a good book and quite delusional ,unfortunately. I was hoping to feel some sympathy for the ‘author’ ( if he actually managed to write it himself ) but no, nada. Self indulgence par excellence. Ah well, sometimes the press are right …

Foxygloves Fri 28-Jul-23 11:48:13

Well done! As soon as I saw the thread title my first thought was "Hope she didn't pay for it: !!!!

CrochetBliss Fri 28-Jul-23 12:53:02

I am glad I have not read this damn book when it came out, absolutely disgusting (from extracts I have read on the news)

Foxygloves Fri 28-Jul-23 12:55:27

I’m surprised you bothered to read the extracts!
Life is too short IMHO

Germanshepherdsmum Fri 28-Jul-23 13:51:05

I haven’t even read the extracts either - I have relied on his wretched interviews and the views of critics which point out the discrepancies and the sheer vitriol.

Wheniwasyourage Fri 28-Jul-23 14:56:07

Must admit that when I saw the thread title, my first reaction was Why? grin

merlotgran Fri 28-Jul-23 15:18:13

I downloaded the free sample on to my kindle.

That was quite enough, thanks! 😂

lemsip Fri 28-Jul-23 15:28:01

nanna8 yes I reserved it from my library and there was a long list so I only got it two weeks ago. What rubbish! shallow and pathetic

FannyCornforth Fri 28-Jul-23 15:37:46

Of course he didn’t write it!
It’s written by the acclaimed
author JR Meohringer

www.newyorker.com/magazine/2023/05/15/j-r-moehringer-ghostwriter-prince-harry-memoir-spare

maddyone Fri 28-Jul-23 16:15:38

Germanshepherdsmum

I haven’t even read the extracts either - I have relied on his wretched interviews and the views of critics which point out the discrepancies and the sheer vitriol.

Me too. I’ve no desire to read it. I feel sorry for his family and I’m not even a royalist. I know what it’s like to have a jealous, lying and manipulative sibling and can assure everyone that’s it’s really horribly unpleasant and distressing.

Chocolatelovinggran Fri 28-Jul-23 16:35:17

Thank you nanna8 for taking one for the team !

AGAA4 Fri 28-Jul-23 16:46:55

Didn't want to plough through that book so well done nanna8.
Having read it you are qualified to say it's not worth reading but I had guessed that along with many others who haven't actually read it.

Callistemon21 Fri 28-Jul-23 16:55:39

Well, that's a few hours of your life you'll never get back, nanna8!

Thank you on behalf of all of us 😀

Germanshepherdsmum Fri 28-Jul-23 17:15:22

I second that. A few hours of my life not wasted. A true team player! 😁

merlotgran Fri 28-Jul-23 17:24:10

Callistemon21

Let’s hope she’s good at speed reading then we needn’t feel so guilty. 😂

Freya5 Fri 28-Jul-23 17:41:59

No, no. Not even if it is free to borrow.
Spare Us, A Harrody by Bruno Vincent might be a better read!!

Joseann Fri 28-Jul-23 18:17:37

I read it straightaway at the time, then gave it to the dog to digest because he likes to chew over Harry & Meghan books!
You can ask me any questions you like, but I can't promise I won't put my own slant on all the whinging and moaning.

Callistemon21 Fri 28-Jul-23 18:20:18

Is it free to download on the Kindle yet?

lemsip Fri 28-Jul-23 18:21:24

Callistemon21

a few hours?. got through it in an hour!

Callistemon21 Fri 28-Jul-23 20:17:31

😁
Skim reading?

henetha Fri 28-Jul-23 23:29:12

I haven't read it yet. Shall I bother?
I'm not sure.

Syracute Sat 29-Jul-23 01:00:04

I bought it and read it . I thought it gave good insight . I guess for the Harry and Meghan haters will only see more reason to hate . It was well written . Moehringer ( the ghost writer) had a very good article in Vanity Fair about how he was harrassed by British press at his USA home and how frightening an experience it was . People need to quit reading the Daily Mail . Hate sells sadly too well in Britain !

Syracute Sat 29-Jul-23 01:04:55

nanna8

I wasn’t going to pay for it so I waited until the library had it. Glad I didn’t pay for it, having read it. Not a good book and quite delusional ,unfortunately. I was hoping to feel some sympathy for the ‘author’ ( if he actually managed to write it himself ) but no, nada. Self indulgence par excellence. Ah well, sometimes the press are right …

Delusional ? Honestly, he was baring his soul . Daily Mail and The Sun do a good job of promoting lies and hate . You just jumped on that wagon and read through those ugly spectacles . It was worth reading . People here just live for reasons to hate Harry and Meghan. These tabloids made a fortune on that !

Anniebach Sat 29-Jul-23 01:35:04

What did his brother being circumcised have to do with Harry’s soul ?

Syracute Sat 29-Jul-23 02:41:56

Anniebach

What did his brother being circumcised have to do with Harry’s soul ?

Well, it’s a body part as well ! What’s the big deal ? Haters just looking to hate !