Gransnet forums

Books/book club

April book club - A Dangerous Crossing

(103 Posts)
CariGransnet (GNHQ) Tue 04-Apr-17 10:20:36

Copies of our wonderful April book - A Dangerous Crossing - are on their way so here's the thread for your comments etc. Don't forget, if you do receive a free copy of the book you will need to leave your questions for the author/reviews (don't forget to mark anything that gives things away with a spoiler alert!) etc on here by the end of the month

Waveney Wed 05-Apr-17 10:14:49

I am so excited that I have received a copy of this book this morning. It looks like the sort of book I would choose when browsing in a bookshop or library, and it is lovely to be able to try an author who is new to me. Thank you so much!

harrigran Wed 05-Apr-17 10:46:47

Thank you for my copy, just been delivered.

gillyknits Wed 05-Apr-17 11:30:23

Thank you for my copy. I am really looking forward to reading it. (That's if I can prize it out of my husbands hands!)

GrannyGlyn Wed 05-Apr-17 12:03:49

Thank you for this book, it arrived this morning. I'm looking forward to reading it.

CariGransnet (GNHQ) Wed 05-Apr-17 12:11:33

Ooh hope you love it as much as I did. It's not my usual genre but I was hooked from first to last. So atmospheric

merlotgran Wed 05-Apr-17 12:18:26

Mine has just arrived as well. Really looking forward to reading it.

Many thanks.

Rinouchka Wed 05-Apr-17 13:45:15

So surprised to receive the book this morning. Thank you! Hope I can get to finish it in time to address some intelligent questions to the author...

Gagagran Wed 05-Apr-17 13:55:08

Postman brought a copy for me too - thank you GN. Looking forward to it and will be back when I've read it.

Greenfinch Wed 05-Apr-17 13:59:39

Mine was here when I came back from the Garden Centre.
Many thanks.

Pittcity Wed 05-Apr-17 14:45:49

Mine was on the doorstep when I got in too. Thank you.

cornergran Wed 05-Apr-17 19:26:09

Thank you for this book. The postman crammed it through the letterbox. Be a few days before I can begin but really looking forward to it. I suspect Mr C will also like it.

mumofmadboys Wed 05-Apr-17 22:35:21

Thank you GN. I received a copy today

Maggiemaybe Wed 05-Apr-17 23:28:11

Oh thank you, this looks good! I've just got to plough through a biography of Clementine Churchill first for my library book group, then I can get stuck in!

GrannySue2010 Thu 06-Apr-17 10:25:58

Just received my copy thank you! I'm currently reading two books one on my kindle and one paperback but will start as soon as I finish one of these. I love intrigue and murder and if it has a love interest then all my birthdays have come at once! Can't wait to get started.

rocketstop Thu 06-Apr-17 12:23:02

Thank you for my copy, started already, enjoying so far, I look forward to posting my review !

chelseababy Thu 06-Apr-17 15:29:06

Thank you for mine too. It arrived yesterday and looks just my cup of tea!

MawBroon Thu 06-Apr-17 16:42:18

I have not put this book DOWN since it arrived!
It is a brilliant novel, a gripping story with a taut plot, entirely credible characters and many twists and turns. The author's historical research has been meticulous so there are no annoying anachronisms, either in the dialogue, or in what the characters wear, or drink or do, in their clothes or the conditions on their ship.
One of the best new novels I have read for a while and I feel privileged to have had this opportunity to read it so soon after publication.
Thank you GN, when is Rachel Rhys's next book due out? grin

eGJ Thu 06-Apr-17 17:03:33

Well, my copy arrived this morning; after lunch I went outside planning to read a chapter or two..........now I have finished it!! A real page turner; everyone has a secret. Having based it on a real diary the descriptions of clothes and shipboard activities and excursions ring true. An absorbing cleverly crafted slow burn; THANK YOU GN. Question for Rachel - Have you any other real material on which to base another novel?

Cosafina Fri 07-Apr-17 12:20:54

Book arrived this morning, which is perfect timing as I've only got about 5 pages left of what I'm reading. Looking forward to reading this!

mrsmopp Fri 07-Apr-17 13:40:46

Huge thanks for this fantastic book. Was going to wait till I finished my library book but changed my mind. Library book going back so I can get started on this one. It looks great. Can't wait!

nonnarosi Fri 07-Apr-17 18:22:01

I recieved my copy on Wednesday, thank you. Already started to read, and drawn into the story, very enjoyable

annsixty Sat 08-Apr-17 10:04:58

So very thrilled to get a copy which has only just arrived. I love the golden age books and after reading the first reviews I googled it on kindle but it was expensive so decided to wait.
Thank you so much it has made my weekend.

Maren Sun 09-Apr-17 00:06:30

Thank you for my copy! Looking forward to reading it

rocketstop Sun 09-Apr-17 16:04:37

I have finished this book today, and I have to say, I really enjoyed it.I pictured the sights, sounds and smells as they happened.I liked the tension that weaved it's way through the story, and the dark undercurrents that ran through the voyage.
Without giving too much away to new readers, there were a lot of damaged people on board the ship, and I liked the fact that Rachel made Lily also damaged in some way and that this did not make her the 'goody two shoes' that she could have been.
Rachel , how did you like writing this book ? Do you feel you were guided by the memoir of your Mother's friend, would you have liked to have been on such a voyage ?
I must admit, I was very sad to 'Disembark' from the journey that was 'A Dangerous Crossing' I loved it.!! Please write another just as good....No pressure then !!!!