Gransnet forums

Care & carers

Should she do it?

(9 Posts)
Marelli Fri 23-Nov-12 09:24:16

Pretty sure that she would, vampirequeen - anyone who comes under the 'vulnerable' status. Especially as she's not a family member.

vampirequeen Fri 23-Nov-12 08:37:00

She might need a CRB if she's working with an elderly person.

Nanadog Thu 22-Nov-12 21:40:04

This might help

www.youretheboss.org.uk/paid-carers/how-do-i-become-a-paid-carer

numberplease Thu 22-Nov-12 21:12:31

Thanks Marelli, I`ll tell her that.

Marelli Thu 22-Nov-12 18:24:21

In fact, number, if she went along to the college, she may just find that all she needed to do would be a Level 1 in Care/Health and Social Care. Not at all difficult and it would be something under her belt for later on if she wanted to continue in that type of career.

kittylester Thu 22-Nov-12 18:07:39

Ok FlicketyB that's just what I was going to say. Great minds smile

numberplease Thu 22-Nov-12 17:33:52

Thanks FlicketyB, I will tell her what you said.

FlicketyB Thu 22-Nov-12 17:22:54

On the practical and legal side why does she not visit the CAB or a Legal Centre if there is one near or the Carers Centre, again if there still is one for help and advice on this?.

She must also negotiate with the lady's friend what being 'full time' actually means, what hours, what duties. She cannot be expected to be available 24/7 so what arrangements will be in place for the times she is not available.

The decision about whether she wants to take on the work and commitment is something only she can decide, possible in consultation with her family.

One possible alternative would be to have paid carers coming in to do some of the work with her coming in just to undertake, perhaps the most intimate and also to give an oversight to the paid carers to ensure that they are looking after the lady properly and with due respect and consideration.

She shouldnt let anyone jockey her into taking on work she doest feel comfortable doing because of her affection for the lady.

If she felt committed enough her local education college will almost definitely run NVQs for carers. The kind that staff in care homes are expected to do.

numberplease Thu 22-Nov-12 17:10:13

I`m just wondering what the rest of you think about this. My DIL cleans 2 or 3 times a week for an old lady who lives quite close to them. The lady is in her 90s, and her husband died about a year ago. She isn`t in good health, but wants to stay in her house. She has a son and a daughter, the son visits very rarely, her daughter hasn`t been for years. My DIL has been asked by a close friend of the lady, a prominent local businessman, if she would consider being the lady`s full time carer, for which she would obviously be paid. Her dilemma is, firstly she`s had no training in being a carer, also, where would she stand, legally, if anything happened to the lady if she fell and hurt herself? Plus she`s worried that it won`t allow her time for her ow n home and family, but apparently the lady is very fond of my DIL and doesn`t want anyone else to look after her. As well as cleaning, my DIL has also helped her to wash and bath herself, as well as visiting when she was in hospital a while back. She doesn`t want to let her down, but is worried about her own capability if she took the job on.