Gransnet forums

Care & carers

Care Home Fees

(61 Posts)
bentley49 Thu 04-Apr-13 10:48:54

There are so many people wanting to avoid care home fees these days.
In my view everything possible should be done to recover the fees from the family.
I would say it is ok for a spouse to leave their half of the house to the children but care home fees should take prority so if the other spouse has to go in to care if his / her half of the house is used to pay the fees the person who inherited the other half should be liable.
Also if a husband / wife occupies the house when their spouse is in care a charge should be put on the house so the fees could be recovered when it is sold.
Another thing they could do is put a limit on how much a person can inherit in his or her life say £200,000.
Any more should be taken and used for the care of other people.
If there are insufficient assetts wealthy children should be held liable.
If the children have houses which are too large for their needs or savings over £100k they should be made to pay the care home fees.

Gerry

Enviousamerican Sat 13-Apr-13 17:32:58

yes your right I need to look into these things.Thanks for your help.People do over here sell their homes to their children for whatever price they decide on. Glad things worked out for you.Sure can get complicated!

bentley49 Tue 16-Apr-13 15:53:00

Another change which should happen in the law is if a parent gets a new spouse after the mother / father has passed away the children of the parent as well as the new spouses children should be held liable for any care fees if there are insufficient assetts,

Gerry

HUNTERF Tue 16-Apr-13 20:57:34

Gerry

Your suggestions are getting ludicrous and unreasonable.
What you are now saying is if a mother has to go in to care for say 5 years dies and then the father gets a new wife and they both have to go in to care for say 5 years each the liability for the fees will be passed on to the fathers offspring if the woman's offspring have no assets and if similar things happen to the offspring the liability will pass to the next generation.
Also the offspring may hate the fathers new wife and would not want anything to do with her care.
If the liability goes snowballing down say 5 generations they may be living on bread and water all their lives just to pay off care fees ran up by previous generations.

Frank

NfkDumpling Wed 17-Apr-13 21:39:53

This is getting very silly boys - stop it!

annodomini Wed 17-Apr-13 22:11:54

Frank, don't you recognise a wind-up merchant when you see one?

njk411 Fri 09-Aug-13 20:52:54

I'm looking into care home options and have found advice on care to be very useful. try them out

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Advice-on-Care/232906616851239

HUNTERF Fri 09-Aug-13 21:43:57

Admittedly most of the care home assessments I have sat in on have been situations where the offspring and parent has owned a property jointly.

As I have said the advice of every Social worker at first has been to sell the house and for the offspring to downsize.

If the offspring says no then the Social Worker then says they will have to pay top up in some cases amounting to £250 per week and the Social Worker does not ask if that would be affordable and the Social Worker does not point out it is a voluntary payment.

I was very amused under the compulsory care section for families it says that the responsibility for care mainly falls on a woman.

I was a carer and in the wider family most of the carers have been men.
I suppose we are not a typical family because in recent years most of the men have outlived the women.

Frank

bardanlacy Fri 18-Oct-13 03:04:03

Message deleted by Gransnet for breaking our forum guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

Ariadne Fri 18-Oct-13 08:57:30

Reported.

Carys Mon 31-Mar-14 19:55:28

What Hunter has said in the above is currently the law, A home cannot be touched for care home fees while the spouse is living there. If the person who has gone into the home has more than 23,000 he/she will be responsible for paying the whole cost, once down to 23,000 a contribution is still expected until 10,500 left. with costs of care is between 400 and 700.00 per week, savings will not last long.
Age Concern Cymru have excellent fact sheets on this matter/ or Age Concern England.