Gransnet forums

Care & carers

Mum is being moved tomorrow. Wish me luck!

(52 Posts)
merlotgran Wed 10-Apr-13 21:48:11

Mum's assessment went well today and tomorrow she is being moved into a Nursing Care Home. I'm relieved that she will finally get the care she needs (hopefully) but I know she is going to be very distressed when it finally happens.

It has all been done and dusted very quickly which is good but I've had an exhausting week so I'll be glad when tomorrow is over.

Fingers crossed.

NfkDumpling Fri 12-Apr-13 22:35:22

Oh, that's good, now you can relax a bit tonight knowing she's safe. I hope she isn't too confused by her new surroundings and settles quickly. flowers

gracesmum Fri 12-Apr-13 22:36:37

Hugely relieved for you. As Glass says, have a good night's sleep, you've earned it . This has to be an improvement flowers

HUNTERF Fri 12-Apr-13 22:41:14

merlotgran

I don't think Social Services take note of letters of complaint.
People I know have written letters of complaint because Social workers have told them they have got to sell jointly owned / occupied houses to pay care fees and I have found the same social worker giving the same advice to people weeks later.

Frank

merlotgran Fri 12-Apr-13 22:48:01

Oh, bless you, Frank. We're back to houses again. grin wine

Galen Fri 12-Apr-13 23:00:04

Typical male! One track mindgrin
But not the usual track?hmm

HUNTERF Fri 12-Apr-13 23:03:53

merlotgran

I don't think you would find it funny to be widowed, retired and after returning to your parents home to care for your parent being told unlawfully by a social worker that you have got to sell your home and downsize.
Some of the people I have come in contact with have given up 5+ of their golden years to care for a parent.

Frank

Enviousamerican Fri 12-Apr-13 23:05:43

it's almost comforting isn't it?

Enviousamerican Fri 12-Apr-13 23:08:15

not your comment Frank,I know your being very serious. I typed my comment before yours was posted.

Ella46 Fri 12-Apr-13 23:17:09

merlot fingers crossed that your mum settles in flowers

NfkDumpling Sat 13-Apr-13 06:46:48

Frank - I understand where you're coming from re Social Services - when my dad was in a care home in the last stages of lung cancer, they had a meeting with my mother without my knowledge as dad was insisting he wanted to go home to their two bedroom bungalow. Mum walked with difficulty and two sticks at that time. (I could only visit daily for a short time due to other problems). No care plan in place, they told her it was his right to go home and if she didn't like it she should divorce him (63 years of marriage).
Eventually they did say they would sort out some home care and gave a date for me to collect him. He was all packed and ready to go sitting on his bed when it became clear there was no care plan, never had been and never would be. He died alone in the care home two weeks later.
On that day he was granted two weeks back dated nursing care although they had well under the £23,000. We didn't bother to fight the decision.
I hate social services.

NfkDumpling Sat 13-Apr-13 06:56:42

Sorry Merlot I just hijacked your thread with my rant. It's a soap box for me which I usually try to avoid getting on!

Bez Sat 13-Apr-13 07:27:12

So glad things look better now Merlot - hopefully there will be smiles when you go to visit today. flowers

baubles Sat 13-Apr-13 08:12:36

I hope today is a better day for you and your Mum Merlotgran flowers

celebgran Sat 13-Apr-13 08:13:11

Do hope this new home is better for your mum merlotgra n is stressful time for you flowers

gillybob Sat 13-Apr-13 08:43:56

Good morning Merlotgran I hope your mum had a settled night and things improve from now on. Don't forget to look after yourself too. flowers

Mishap Sat 13-Apr-13 11:14:28

So glad she has now moved - give her a week to find her feet and settle down and then I do hope that all will be well and you can walk away from visits with a light heart, knowing she is well cared-for.

merlotgran Sat 13-Apr-13 17:38:27

There's been a huge improvement already. We arrived to find Mum clean and comfortable. She had obviously had a proper breakfast and was quite chatty. They have altered the time they give her the anti-depressant so instead of being asleep for most of the morning she was looking forward to lunch. Oh, and she is no longer on palliative care!

Onwards and Upwards wine

Thank you so much for all your kind messages smile

gracesmum Sat 13-Apr-13 17:48:09

What a turn around - that is really good news. Parhaps you can now allow some time for you - you've more than earned it. flowers

annodomini Sat 13-Apr-13 17:50:16

So glad your mum is now in a place where they are kind, caring and efficient. flowers

Ella46 Sat 13-Apr-13 17:53:16

What a difference! Thank goodness, now relax and have a merlot merlot grin

Galen Sat 13-Apr-13 17:57:30

flowers

Faye Sat 13-Apr-13 18:45:44

Some care and common sense, I can imagine you are feeling relieved that your mother is being properly looked after now merlot.

Bez Sat 13-Apr-13 18:52:11

Wonderful news - great your Mum is so much better in her new surroundings.

Mishap Sat 13-Apr-13 19:05:03

Brilliant! - why can't they all be like this?

NfkDumpling Sat 13-Apr-13 20:48:31

wine