Gransnet forums

Care & carers

Care more like torture for both the cared for and the carer.

(50 Posts)
Kiora Fri 10-Jan-14 13:52:20

I have just heard something really upsetting and worrying. My friends daughter works for a care company and arrived at her mothers in tears. She has a job going to peoples houses mostly elderly to help with care. She's a kind gentle caring girl. Her clients love her and tell her they've never had someone so gentle. She can only work 16 hours a week as a single mum. The company continually make her work more than this making her frightened of being labeled a benefit cheat. They make up a rota so some of her visit only last 15 mins. She has to telephone to register she's at the clients home do what ever needs doing then write whats she's done in a book then telephone to register she's finished all in 15 minutes. Her next visit could be 6 miles away if she's late she won't be paid. So for instance she has to be at a house at 7 . Register that she's arrived, get the person up, washed and dressed and helped downstairs. Write in the contact book Telephone to say she's leaving and be at the next client 4 to 6 miles away by 7.15. It's impossible. So mostly she has been late leaving one client then late arriving at the next. Last week they told her this had to stop and if she was Late leaving or late arriving she wouldn't be paid for that visit. Today she tried to do it their way. She had to leave an elderly gentleman on a commode. One of her ladies soiled the bed and she didn't have time to make it and had to leave. She is now beside herself worrying about these poor people. She reported it to her employers who said if she doesn't like she will loose her job. When she she said ok she considered herself sacked and would leave they told her it was in her contract that she must give 2 weeks notice or she would be prosecute by the council for neglect. I would think the last bit is nonsense but I can't be sure. I'v left her and her mother in tears. How on earth is this kind of thing possible.

durhamjen Thu 18-Jun-15 22:32:33

What about working at a hospice, ruby?

Ana Thu 18-Jun-15 22:24:00

You must have to be fit yourself, though, to take on such work? It can't be easy...

rubylady Thu 18-Jun-15 22:19:21

I worked as a carer, through direct payments, and on one shift did no less than an hour at a time. For the shower shift or shopping it was a two hour shift with two of us on at a time. I have had interviews with agencies but I wouldn't work for them due to the way in which they work. Unless real care can be given then I am not interested although I don't know if care is still available through direct payments now.

nigglynellie Thu 18-Jun-15 12:23:13

As I see it, 'Care' is the Cinderella of the health service, and until it is treated as a proper career like nursing it will stay that way. To do this of course would take a lot of money and comitment. At the moment it's being run on a shoe string and the problems can only get worse.

Eloethan Thu 18-Jun-15 00:43:01

nigglenellie A person can only take an unfair dismissal claim to an employment tribunal after two years continuous employment in the same post. It used to be one year but the Conservatives increased the qualifying period. They also introduced substantial fees for taking a case to an employment tribunal and I would imagine low paid workers would have difficulty in affording them.

I think that the provision of proper care for vulnerable people (of any age) should not be treated as if it were some sort of optional extra that will only be available if the economy is booming. It should be a priority, whatever the economic circumstances. As it is, the state is already benefiting from the many unpaid hours of care provided by relatives who receive very little financial or practical assistance.

Gracesgran Wed 17-Jun-15 23:21:30

I agree it's about money but I don't entirely blame the company. My mother's care company decided not to tender for council work because they did not feel they could give an adequate service either to the cared for or the carers for the amount they would be paid.

It is true that a 15 minute visit can be sufficient with a compliant client and for something like ensuring the right medication is taken. The government has said it will "look into" the none payment of travel time as it "breaks the minimum wage laws". I suggest we do not hold our breath.

Care is expensive, it always has been but, in the past it was not charged for as it was mainly supplied by women who were supported by their family (husband). About the same time as governments decided all women should be seen as individuals, be encouraged to and given the opportunity to work thus enriching the family and being in a position to support themselves if necessary the same governments decided that others should care for our children and elder care should be at home as this was cheaper. This was never going to be true. It cannot be cheaper except for the "hotel" costs. I have always believed that whoever did the initial calculations just didn't take into account the costs of the carers but thought those who had cared in the past would go on doing it and, of course, many do.

nigglynellie Wed 17-Jun-15 22:33:26

I'm afraid money has everything to do with the desision, but of course no one will ever admit that! It would seem.that care in the Community is anything but, and will only get worse unless there is a radical change of attitude. Even before I retired potential patients who were clearly in need of help were declining it because 'it was so expensive and the girls were always in such a rush'. It's a shocking way to treat our seniors, and makes me very nervous for the future, both for myself and all of us who will inevitably reach this stage in our lives should we live that long!!

loopylou Wed 17-Jun-15 21:37:54

At a public Council meeting about tendering of care services the Councillors proudly announced there would be 15 minute visits. I was so angry I stood up and asked the Deputy Leader how long it took him (fit and healthy) to get up, showered, dressed and have breakfast that morning. He spluttered and said that was nothing to do with the decision.
I said it definitely was relevant and I rest my case.
Needless to say the decision was agreed and I've been reporting and fighting it for the past 3 years.
It makes me sick.
The girl should report the agency to CQC and to the Safeguarding Board. It's abuse of the elderly and an affront to human dignity and until more people complain, it will continue.
The girl was fully within her rights to refuse to be complicit by continuing and the agency should be investigated.

nigglynellie Wed 17-Jun-15 20:25:49

I worked as a home carer for sixteen years and saw the service go from efficient and a worthwhile job in 1994 which I enjoyed and felt really committed to, to a complete shambles when I retired in 2009. Pay became a huge issue, with constant reductions in payments for travelling, weekend/bank holidays, holiday pay was constantly challenged, and the turn over in staff unprecedented. It now sounds even worse and take it from me that there is no way a frail confused patient can be given adequate care in 15 minutes! actually no one could!! Most people who go into Care work start out with a real commitment, but sadly get completely disillusioned and simply can cope with the pressure, and bewilderment of their clients at being treated so shabbily by the company that employs their carer, that they leave. One thing though, if your contract states that you work for 16 hours a week, then there is nothing the company can do to make you work longer than these hours. They can threaten you and try to use intimidation, but legally they cannot make you. If they sack you then the next step is suing them unfair dismissal. Your contract is a legal document and cannot be over ridden.

Iam64 Mon 13-Jan-14 18:02:34

The news this evening is, again, full of reports about historical allegations into abuse in children's care homes. Safeguarding of the elderly is in its infancy. I'm not saying it should be, or that it's acceptable. I have a couple of horror stories about families, where their children had been removed because of abuse, yet the mothers from those families were employed by private agencies as carers for the elderly/inform. Scary isn't it.

Aka Mon 13-Jan-14 14:57:45

Well put Joelsnan and welcome smile

Kiora Mon 13-Jan-14 14:37:43

Thanks for the link joalsnan

Joelsnan Sun 12-Jan-14 22:51:24

Apparently AgeUK have a 'Care in Crisis' campaign where they are urging concerned constituents to email their MP's.
www.ageuk.org.uk/home-and-care/campaign-for-better-care/
I will certainly be doing this.

Nonu Sun 12-Jan-14 19:00:44

Good for you Joel just enjoy yourself and express your thoughts , there are some mighty fine people on this forum !!
smile

Dragonfly1 Sun 12-Jan-14 18:40:00

You could all maybe email the link to this thread to the CQC?

Joelsnan Sun 12-Jan-14 18:15:33

Yes, quite new. Been watching from the sidelines for a while and decided the jump in this week.

Nonu Sun 12-Jan-14 17:43:26

Good post Joels , particularly like your use of the word "Senior".
Are you a newbie ? I don"t recall your name !

Joelsnan Sun 12-Jan-14 17:38:07

Isn't it time we stopped sympathising and empathising and consider...when the time comes, is this what I want? Do we have to sit here and wait for our turn to be 'left on a commode', or is there something we can do to retain some semblance of care and dignity for seniors, because there is one thing for sure, we will all get there one day...some sooner than others sad

POGS Sun 12-Jan-14 16:14:26

Kiora

There is every reason to feel upset as we cannot hide the fact such terrible situations are happening. You are quite right to be empathetic to listening to such a story. When we stop talking about or listening to these 'goings on' then we really will have lost the plot. flowers

Kiora Sun 12-Jan-14 15:06:32

I am sure that's the case POGS. And it does make me feel better that this isn't always the case and I'm sure some agencies provide better care than others. She did say that the agency she worked for had a high turnover of staff so perhaps she was unfortunate. I'm not really blaming the government because these changes were happening before this government came to power. It's probably because I heard the story and witnessed her distress at close hand that upset and worried me so much

POGS Sun 12-Jan-14 13:29:26

Kiora

I am by no means challenging the point you raised but if I may I always put another slant to the story.

My father sadly passed away in June and he actually had home care which involved 15 minute calls. He had 1 hour in the morning to help shower, dress, make the bed and get his breakfast. Lunch was 30 minutes, which was O.K because we obtained meals that could be microwaved but still nutritious or to his liking. He did receive 15 minute calls for tea, which was fine he only wanted sandwiches or snack and the other call was at bedtime to check he was O.K and distribute his tablets. His shopping was done once a week for 1 hour and he could go with the carer if he wanted to.

He was on pension guarantee so his care was provided by the Social Services. I must remind GN's that each case is different and the system is not always a failure. I do agree that the Care Companies 'do' vary in the quality they give and certainly the way they treat their staff.

I am merely trying to balance the issue and can tell you this was happening before the recent government came into power so please put a sense of balance there too.

It is heartbreaking to read of such things happening and I do think that I was able to speak up for my dad if we ever had a concern. I do genuinely worry what happens to people who's family are not available or they have no family. There are of course those who think they have no choice than accept the circumstance they are in. Also there does perhaps show some Social Service Departments are better in some areas than others!! I knew if dad required more help our Social Service Dept.were there to talk to and an assessment would have been carried out to 'change his care package'. They need somebody to contact them though, that is the point I am making.

Kiora Sun 12-Jan-14 08:29:03

I agree but I saw her rota and it happens. It's difficult and I'd like to protest on her behalf, on her clients behalf and on my own behalf because I might be in need of care at some time in the not too distant future and would hate to be treated in this way. But I'd be betraying her confidence.The worrying thing is if it's because this part of our welfare system has been privatised are we glimpsing the future of care for the vulnerable provided by the NHS. It's shocking make no mistake when profits are put before people there is very little care. Just the ticking of the relevant box. Perhaps this is part of the reason we hear such horror stories about the care of the vulnerable on hospital wards. It's not that the staff don't care it's because of the pressure of reaching targets and ticking boxes for their managers. is this what the future holds for those of us approaching or moving towards the later stages of our lives. ( I know I know us gransnetters are far to young to contemplate old age) how has it come to this. How have we allowed it to happen. We get the leaders we deserve. Is this our generations legacy. How awful if that's the case. It means we have failed..... spectacularly

absent Sat 11-Jan-14 00:33:17

Obviously 15 minutes per client allows for very little care but I cannot understand how the agency expects someone to arrive at Client Number One's at 7 am, provide 15 minutes' care (plus two telephone calls), and then arrive at Client Number Two's at 7.15. Time travel or what?

cazthebookworm Fri 10-Jan-14 23:02:57

Reading this thread has made me realise just how little the carer could do for the lady who used to live in the flat below me. She was only there for about 5 minutes, twice a day, and my neighbour said she just used to chat to her, fill in a diary, and leave. Shocking. It makes me wonder what care I will receive when I am no longer able to look after myself. A long time away yet I hope!

Soutra Fri 10-Jan-14 22:08:32

She is a brave girl and I admire her for sticking up for her principles and for her patients. As much publicity as possible should be given to this shocking state of affairs if she is forced to continue in this vein.