Gransnet forums

Care & carers

Mum being put in her room

(27 Posts)
Carolw Tue 19-Jul-16 17:15:46

My mum has been in residential care for around 3 years, as a result of persistent falls. Her mobility has recently reduced to practically nothing and she is also registered blind. But she does not have dementia (or so we are told).
Recently she has had yet another infection that she has finally responded to antibiotics, but she has started shouting and 'making a fuss ' a meal times. The caters response to this is to remove her from the dining room and put her in her room. This has happened again and when I phoned earlier today I was told she'd be staying in her room for tea as well because it is disturbing for the other residents.
Many of the other residents do have dementia but they are mostly mobile. What can I do to make this better for mum, or is it just my guilt that I need to come to terms with ?

hildajenniJ Tue 26-Jul-16 12:49:14

If your Mum continues to have repeated UTI's, and no cause is found, it might be worth asking her GP if she could be put on a maintenance dose of antibiotics. I used to nurse the elderly mentally ill and looked after several people on long term antibiotics. As to mealtimes, most homes have protected mealtimes and discourage visitors at this time. The dining experience is taken very seriously and the home I worked in had a separate dining room for disruptive residents, they tried not to feed people in their rooms. It worked very well.
I hope you resolve your Mum's problems quickly. Good luck.