Gransnet forums

Care & carers

How much to pay?

(49 Posts)
Synonymous Fri 06-Apr-18 00:33:52

Since DH was injured and no longer able to be my carer it has been a real struggle to manage even the small basics for living and impossible to get the help we have needed as it is difficult to quantify what would be helpful and have it fit into a tick box. I have been having discussions with someone who is willing to pop in daily just for half an hour as a sort of home help to assist with bed making and veg preparation and similar small tasks. When I asked how much she would charge me she just said "not much as it is for such a short time" so I am not any wiser. I thought that perhaps an hourly rate of £10 might be about right as that would be £5 a session. Because I want to be fair to both of us does anyone have any experience of thus situation? I also think it might be sensible to start off with it being for a trial period to see how it would work out for us both. My regular cleaning lady did say at one point that she would be prepared to do this but she comes through an agency and I think it best to keep these things separate and not muddy the waters because if she was ill I could end up with no help at all.

Synonymous Sat 14-Apr-18 12:58:30

Thank you again for your contributions to my cogitations. I feel I am sorted now and think I am going to go along the £35 per week route. Sometimes there won't be much to do anyway but when DH is back in hospital I will have someone to help with personal things. If I have my help popping in it will give me much more confidence and DH will be able to relax too.. She is very happy with the agreement we have made and will not be doing regular cleaning as I have another 'treasure' who does that for me. She lives less than a minute away and we will just fit things in as her schedule allows and when she is passing the door. All good! smile

Synonymous Sat 14-Apr-18 12:42:54

Irenelily sometimes words are totally inadequate but my thoughts and prayers are with you especially now as you carry on by yourself. I hope you have friends and family around you. flowers

hulahoop Sun 08-Apr-18 09:34:16

? Irenelily

PamelaJ1 Sun 08-Apr-18 09:21:03

I have always found that if you pay people well and value them it works to everyone’s advantage.

MissAdventure Sun 08-Apr-18 09:12:20

I don't think the lady who is prepared to come in works for an agency.
The cleaner does, but its not her who is going to be coming in.

kittylester Sun 08-Apr-18 09:03:18

irenelily flowers

Ann quite! grin

jamtart27 Sun 08-Apr-18 08:27:44

I don't think much could be achieved in half an hour, perhaps alternate days for an hour prepping 2 days veg at a time they would be fine in the fridge. Trouble with a private arrangement , if she is ill or on holiday what happens ? And if the agency she works for finds out she is doing this she could be out of a job.

annsixty Sat 07-Apr-18 18:48:20

Can I just point yet again the OP has a cleaner. It is small daily tasks she needs help with.
Please read and digest.

newnanny Sat 07-Apr-18 18:31:57

Had you thought of having her for 40 - 45 mins each day and pay her £12. If she is going to come in every day it is quite a commitment she is making to you. She will have to travel even if only 5-10 mins away and she will have to pay her accountant and her own NIC. Are you planning on paying her holiday pay or sick pay if she is unwell? If not I think you have to pay her more for her hourly rate to cover this. I don't think it is worth her while coming for £5 if she has to travel 5-10 mins each way and it takes me ages to change a double duvet cover and sheets. I buy carrots and swede ready chopped in a bag from Morrison's. It is probably cheaper than paying a person to peel and chop it. You can also buy pre-prepared runner beans and cauliflower and broccoli. She could probably hang out washing for you when good weather or do a bit of ironing. If you wanted her to clean windows, shop for food or clean the oven she would need a lot longer.

PamelaJ1 Sat 07-Apr-18 17:45:03

Irenelily??

loopyloo Sat 07-Apr-18 17:35:20

Irenelily, I am so sorry. My thoughts are with you.

Irenelily Sat 07-Apr-18 16:01:16

Just recently when my DH was in hospital after a fall from his scooter and a subsequent hip replacement, thefamily and I googled local private carers, we found many results listing carers, their qualifications and charges. I would have interviewed a couple, but sadly my DH passed away last week. I hope you find someone that suits.

driverann Sat 07-Apr-18 15:06:24

I have a friend who is a retired midwife and she looks after an elderly couple, who live in her road she cleans and shops for them and they pay her £350 per week. She visit them 5 days a week more if needed.

MissAdventure Sat 07-Apr-18 14:17:37

All the jobs I've been looking at pay less now than they did years ago!
7.50 an hour: minimum wage in most cases, with an ever growing list of requirements and responsibilities.

stevej4491 Sat 07-Apr-18 13:52:26

When the elderly lady I kept my eye on checked with social services how much a carer cost t.hey told her £10.00 per hour

GabriellaG Sat 07-Apr-18 13:33:02

*prepping, over. blush

GabriellaG Sat 07-Apr-18 13:31:56

I think if she's changing the bedlinen and orepping veg thst would take iver 30 minutes. Remember, that she won't have time to chat or be waylaid unless you want to pay her the full
£10. Prepping veg means getting it out and peeling and clearing away so that's 15 mins. Personally, I'd rather do a full hour than 30 minutes and go through an agency to be sure of someone arriving.
I hope you find a suitable helper.

holdingontometeeth Sat 07-Apr-18 12:20:01

£10 an hour in her hand would be acceptable, as she currently gets less than that from the agency and would possibly have to pay tax on that.
As others have said, its not worth getting out of bed for £5, so if she does work for you then try and arrange her tasks so that they can be completed in an hour or nearly an hour, possibly meaning that you may not need her services on a daily basis.

devongranny Sat 07-Apr-18 11:44:09

I have self funding grant and my carer comes in for 1 1/2 hrs a day and is paid £10.00 an hr. hope that is helpful.

MissAdventure Sat 07-Apr-18 11:23:36

I was going to suggest that if the woman comes in for half an hour each day, then you round the money up a bit, to say, 30 or 35 pounds a week.

ruthjean Sat 07-Apr-18 10:38:25

I pay my cleaner £10 ph. She helps me out for 2 hours once a week.

ReadyMeals Sat 07-Apr-18 10:32:05

Yeah but the actual carer won't get all that they probably still get £10 an hour or less, even if the owner is doing it she has overheads to pay for

kwest Sat 07-Apr-18 10:28:57

A friend of ours has a carer three times a day and pays around £13.00 per hour. This is from a small private agency where the owner does a lot of the caring herself. Bigger agencies charge about £15.00 per hour.

ReadyMeals Sat 07-Apr-18 10:28:43

I wouldn't feel comfortable paying under £10 minimum a visit. £10 an hour sounds ok but £5 for a half hour visit doesn't, somehow. As said above, get your vegetables ready-prepared delivered from the supermarket and keep your money for help with tasks you can't get around any other way, like changing bedsheets. Then you might be able to compress it into a couple of one hour visits rather than several 3o minute ones.

grannygranby Sat 07-Apr-18 10:26:02

Sorry £5 is insulting. You have to pay at least minimum hourly wage for any time up to an hour. And as person is self employed with no benefits of employment holiday pay, sickness pay etc you should pay at least £15. And that is a low rate.