Gransnet forums

Care & carers

Housebound and bored

(38 Posts)
tanith Mon 27-Aug-18 14:47:27

So my DH is pretty much housebound apart from short drives out and consequently we’re spending a lot of time together but we are both bored especially now the weather is turning. He’s happy watching some tv but there’s only so much one can watch. We do crosswords but he can’t concentrate on board games for long so any ideas for boredom relieving pastimes we can do together. He doesn’t like to read but enjoys his iPad and has Netflix for when he can’t sleep at night. Any suggestions gratefully received before we both get cabin fever.

Jalima1108 Mon 27-Aug-18 14:53:17

Gransnet?

We need more men smile

MissAdventure Mon 27-Aug-18 14:55:58

You could try some craft ideas, or painting?
Maybe one of you has an as yet undiscovered talent!

Jalima1108 Mon 27-Aug-18 14:58:00

DH thought he might like to make a rug.
I am keeping it in mind but the kits are quite expensive.

Ilovecheese Mon 27-Aug-18 14:59:11

Jigsaws?
Card games?
Those adult colouring books?
Origami?
That game where you write down the name of a famous person, then stick it on your partner's head without them seeing and then they have to guess who they are?

Ilovecheese Mon 27-Aug-18 15:00:00

Rag rug, made of scraps, then you only have to buy the backing.

MissAdventure Mon 27-Aug-18 15:04:42

How about tracing your family tree?

Jalima1108 Mon 27-Aug-18 15:12:25

Great idea MissA
It is very absorbing and takes years - a never-ending story.

J52 Mon 27-Aug-18 15:12:58

Have you got an Alexa? You can play quizzes against each other and stop at a given time. A little treat for the winner would make it fun.
Alexa also can play dramas and tell short stories, which might help.
My GCs listen to mystery stories that let them choose the direction the story goes in. There may be an adult version.
On the more practical idea is he able and would he like to take up painting?
Hope you find something to interest you both.

JudyJudy12 Mon 27-Aug-18 15:26:08

He could become a volunteer with Age UK befriending service. He would be phoning lonely elderly people for a chat. It means so much to people that have nobody to speak to. You can do as much or little as you want to.

tanith Mon 27-Aug-18 15:31:34

Thanks everyone lots of ideas there some possible some not but at least we can talk them over.

loopyloo Mon 27-Aug-18 16:12:08

Perhaps a day centre for a morning? Would give him a change and give you the chance to get out. Perhaps go out for a short drive each day? Does he use a wheelchair? And perhaps arrange visitors. So helpful to have a new person to talk to.
A wheel chair with solid tyres that folds easily might mean you can get further. I used to take my mother BlackBerry picking.

Charleygirl Mon 27-Aug-18 16:13:38

tanith I know that you were looking for a wheelchair- did you find one? Maybe the odd trip to the new cinema which surely has facilities for the disabled?

janeainsworth Mon 27-Aug-18 16:16:02

Not really any bright ideas I’m afraid tanith but just want to send sympathy. flowers
What about audiobooks? Perhaps a bit more stimulating than daytime TV.
Is this a permanent situation or something temporary?

tanith Mon 27-Aug-18 16:25:02

Should be sorted in the next few days with the wheelchair as he’s resisted the idea ? I’m afraid the cinema is out as he says it’s too loud and he wouldn’t be able to sit for the length of a film.

Jalima1108 Mon 27-Aug-18 16:27:57

He's right - the cinema is far too loud, which is a pity.

DoraMarr Mon 27-Aug-18 16:32:02

Tabitha, some cinemas and theatres do “relaxed” performances, especially for people who would find regular performances difficult. It’s always worth enquiring at arts centres about courses there, too- my local one does lots of daytime courses where careers can accompany their partners.

DoraMarr Mon 27-Aug-18 16:33:14

Sorry, Tanith, not Tabitha! Damn autocorrect!

Lynne59 Mon 27-Aug-18 20:36:35

Are there any day centres where you live? I'm the Manager of 2, close to where I am. The Friday one is all day, where people are picked up by a minibus that we hire. Then hot drinks are served, a meal and dessert are cooked on the premises, and we have entertainment (a guitarist, singer, magician or something every week), plus a raffle and then cakes in the afternoon, before everyone is taken home.

Flossieturner Mon 27-Aug-18 21:47:30

Has he tried online jigsaws? I do these for ages,

tanith Mon 27-Aug-18 22:07:48

He’s resistant to anything like a day centre which he could go to here I’m trying to convince him it might be ok but not holding my breath. I’ll mention jigsaws thanks.

paddyann Mon 27-Aug-18 22:12:05

could he join a bowling club or golf club as a social member .I know its an option here and gives people a place to meet and chat during the day or to go to events in the evenings .Social membership usually cost a lot less than a full membership

tanith Mon 27-Aug-18 22:20:49

He is a proficient bowler already but he’s been too ill to play for a while now but his bowls club is not very accessible to someone in a wheel chair I’m afraid not the clubs fault it’s the way the green and bowls huts were built many years ago.

Bathsheba Mon 27-Aug-18 22:32:49

What about photography? There's no end of ideas for table top photography - just google it. And he could join an online photography sharing site, where there are 'just for fun' competitions. Flickr and Ephotozine are two I can think of, plenty more.

OldMeg Mon 27-Aug-18 22:47:32

I trust some of these suggestions are tongue in cheek? I’d sooner shoot myself in the foot that take up colouring, jigsaws, rug making, etc in my dotage ????