Gransnet forums

Care & carers

Emergency nursing

(38 Posts)
Katyj Sun 30-Dec-18 13:36:49

Hi, can anyone one help, we have a difficult situation in our family at the moment, a family member has been visited by an out of hours Dr and been told she needs to be in hospital, the problem is , she's refusing to go.The Dr has left and said there's nothing more he can do.There is no one to look after her full time, which is what she needs.She has some savings, is there somebody we could call today for nursing help .

MawBroon Mon 31-Dec-18 00:11:37

OP said “full time” so I suppose I was optimistically thinking they could sort something out between them in the short term.

Luckygirl Mon 31-Dec-18 08:41:41

she has already been in hospital three times recently, they send her home, barely able to cope - so common now and a sad indictment of the situation that the NHS find themselves in. There are supposed to be discharge protocols on every hospital.

However it may be that this lady insisted on going home - it sounds s though this is where she wishes to be.

She can of course get care at home, either via the SSD of the LA or continuing care funding. It is very often a question of fighting for it. The crux of the matter is would she accept this? A family member will need to badger SSD today - mention the words "vulnerable adult" and safeguarding" and "duty of care."

notanan2 Mon 31-Dec-18 11:47:04

MawBroon it doesnt sound like the family are unwilling to help, just themselves physically unable to do the physical side? That's how Im reading it anyway

mcem Mon 31-Dec-18 13:45:17

I was so lucky when I was discharged from hospital earlier in the year.
Occupational therapist met DD at my home and delivered loo seat before I was home. Zimmer and stick came with me from hospital.
Physio's worked with me for 5 days to make sure I could manage my front door steps.
Was visited once home for 3 days, by physio.
Lost count of how often we discussed support at home and when DGD couldn't change a shift, I was kept for an extra day so that everything fitted together.
I am appalled at the poor service I'm reading about on this and other threads.

Charleygirl5 Mon 31-Dec-18 13:56:23

I agree, mcem I had 6 weeks free assistance after knee replacement discharge earlier this year. I would have coped, living on my own because I could put both feet on the ground. although I used a Zimmer or crutches.

A few years ago when I broke my ankle and had it pinned and plated I was non-weight bearing, could not cope so a friend stayed with me for over a month. I was expected to pay for all help if I had accepted it and frankly I could not do it.

Beau Mon 31-Dec-18 14:54:10

My friend's mum has the maximum 4 visits per day by 2 carers as she also refuses to go into any kind of home. They hoist her into bed at about 7pm and hoist her into her chair in the morning and she is pretty much lying in a nappy all night. Her choice though - and as she has full competency at 93 there is nothing anyone can do. Now she is struggling to swallow and they have sent round a dietician and a speech therapist. She seems to get very good service despite refusing to go into a home ?

Katyj Mon 31-Dec-18 15:23:28

Thank you ladies your a mine of information.I've just got home from work and was surprised how many replies there were . Not much further forward really, she's still refusing hospital and help of any kind, although she has a cleaner once a week,she did allow her to change the bed this morning.A Dr is coming to visit sometime today, so hopefully something may come of that.Let's hope so.

Katyj Tue 05-Feb-19 18:28:36

Hi, just an update, you were all so helpful when we needed some advice.My relative, sadly passed away last week , after being readmitted to hospital, after being collapsed on the floor, she never knew she'd been taken back into hospital, as she was unconscious and never woke up.I think maybe that was a good thing.Thank you for your messages .

nanaK54 Tue 05-Feb-19 18:34:23

flowers

Charleygirl5 Tue 05-Feb-19 18:37:19

Thank you for the update, much appreciated

MorganBennett Thu 03-Oct-19 11:29:26

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

MissAdventure Thu 03-Oct-19 11:39:23

And reported again.