Gransnet forums

Care & carers

Carers allowance

(40 Posts)
nevesnan Sun 19-May-19 14:20:44

Hi I have submitted a claim for carers allowance on 3rd May does anyone know how long the decision takes?

jenpax Sun 19-May-19 14:23:45

If you meet eligibility criteria then usually within 3 weeks

EllanVannin Sun 19-May-19 15:49:37

This has remained a sore point with me since 1993 when my late husband was terminally ill. I was turned down for any allowance for him and had the mother of all rows with some idiot at Newcastle, this was after a home visit by an independent GP who'd confirmed that my H was very ill at the time. DWP in those days needed confirmation in case I was " pulling the wool !"
6 months before his death the DWP had decided to send claim forms so I sent them back with an equally terse letter. He'd been ill for 5 years prior ! I'd been doing the caring as well as working at the hospital full time------because I had to do.

How many fall through the net ?

Oldandverygrey Sun 19-May-19 16:41:08

Nevesnan - when I became my husband's carer I was encouraged to apply for carer's allowance. This I duly did, filled in the forms etc., and then waited. After a period of 4/5 weeks I received a letter to say my application has been refused, because I received a State Pension! what a complete waste of time, I hope you have better luck than me.

bikergran Sun 19-May-19 16:44:00

I cared for my late dh and was never told about carers allowance until very near the end, so wasn't much point then.

Like anything else its like secret service!

shabby Sun 19-May-19 16:44:50

If you are eligible it will be backdated to the date the claim was received by the DWP. My carers allowance ended once I received state pension despite being a full time carer for my disabled husband. Apparently you can't receive more than one benefit.

nevesnan Sun 19-May-19 17:08:32

Thank you all for your replies. I was told to apply for this because I have been my husbands carer for 6 years due to his multiple problems, and he has just been diagnosed with cancer.

If I'm assessed on my income it is 84 per week occupational pension I won't get my state pension for another two and a half years. He has been on his pension for 5 years and also gets PIPS. I will keep you all informed of the outcome. And once again thank you for your replies. smile

nevesnan Sun 19-May-19 17:09:55

I'm sorry for all of you who were not awarded the payment, even though you obviously should have. sad

Oldandverygrey Sun 19-May-19 17:42:38

Fingers crossed for you nevesnan - hope you have a happy outcome.

Luckygirl Sun 19-May-19 17:45:26

Indeed Oldandverygrey - it is enough to drive you mad. I cannot get it for the very same reason - it is an "overlapping benefit." Ditto council tax reduction for being a carer - only applies if you are not related.

Katyj Sun 19-May-19 18:33:03

Hi, nevesnan.Have you looked into direct payments, these would be paid to your husband, to employ someone to help with his needs.Social services, would decide how many hours were needed.Hope you get help soon .

Oldandverygrey Sun 19-May-19 18:39:24

That's right re council tax reduction Luckygirl, but we press on regardless! that's the hand of cards we have been dealt.

sp1953 Mon 20-May-19 16:52:09

It took about 6 weeks for my Mum's allowance to be approved but it was backdated

nevesnan Mon 20-May-19 17:14:10

thank you sp1953 x

silverlining48 Mon 20-May-19 18:58:03

Don’t think you can get carers allowance unless you are of working age. If retired forget it!

nevesnan Mon 20-May-19 20:58:05

@silverlining not retired yet but don't work have my occupational pension but wont get my state pension for another couple of years (66).

jenpax Mon 20-May-19 21:51:22

You could also do a benefit calculation there is a good one on turn2us or the Government one on gov.uk is entitledto.

silverlining48 Tue 21-May-19 11:13:35

Hope you hear positive news soon nevesnan.

nevesnan Tue 21-May-19 17:28:34

@jenpax & silverlining thank you both. Heard nothing yet but I will let you know the outcome smile

Alygran Tue 21-May-19 18:02:06

I had my decision in 3-4 weeks when DH had PIP because he was diagnosed with terminal cancer. I too was retired with a pension but below state pension age. Do remember that it is taxable in your hand so think about putting some away if you are a tax payer. I am paying the last bit of tax now through my 19/20 tax code even though DH died in 2017 and the allowance stopped 6 weeks after that. One upside is that it does count towards your NIC for state pension years.

nevesnan Tue 21-May-19 22:48:17

@Alygran thank you, Im sorry for your loss flowers. I didn't think of that. I don't pay tax on my pension now as it is quite a small one. £80 per week. I don't receive any other income. But I'll have to check it out.

HootyMcOwlface Tue 21-May-19 22:53:22

I had carers allowance but it stopped as I got a temp job around Christmas. It should have started again when my job finished on 31st Dec but I am still waiting! When I rang a few weeks ago they did say new claims were being processed quicker than changes. Hopefully you’ll have better luck than me!

lindiann Tue 21-May-19 23:13:08

I had Carers Allowance (received quite quickly) but it was stopped despite still caring for my brother when my Husband died and I got widow's Benefit for a year (Overlapping Benefit) Carers Uk Forum can give you a lot of information about all aspects of Caring

lindiann Tue 21-May-19 23:20:07

nevesnan
Occupational or personal pensions do not count as earnings and you can be paid Carer's Allowance in addition to these. ... If you do receive taxable income such as occupational or personal pensions or part-time earnings you should inform the tax office about your Carer's Allowance, because it is a taxable benefit.
www.carersuk.org/images/Factsheets/Carers-Allowance-2018-19-FINAL.pdf

Springblossoms Tue 21-May-19 23:48:04

Possibly look into Attendance Allowance which is non means tested and is claimed by the person who needs help with their care needs.