Gransnet forums

Care & carers

Live-in care

(82 Posts)
Luckygirl Sat 01-Jun-19 22:39:07

Has anyone any experience of this, either for themselves or for a relative?

I have been looking into this during this week. The finances are horrifying, and our savings will vanish speedily; but, that aside, there are many considerations....
What it might be like to have a stranger living in the house? Whether we would cope with that or get on? etc. etc.

But the advantages are very clear: consistent care instead of several carers coming in and out (and me having to show them where everything is etc. over and over again!); freedom for me to pop in and out when I need to and not have to arrange odd bits of care here and there; cooking, laundry, housework all done as well as the care.

We currently have 3 care visits a day plus extra care when I have to go out. And I do all the housework, laundry etc. - which is a struggle on crutches - I am happy to do it obviously, but if this knee problem continues it is very hard to do. I could get all this for not a huge great deal more money.

Decisions, decisions!

Alexa Sun 02-Jun-19 11:27:34

Luckygirl, I take it that the occupational therapist has provided any patient lifting equipment, commodes, and so on that may be helpful?

A wet room is often very useful but they cost about £7,000 to install.

SueB20 Sun 02-Jun-19 11:35:04

Hi Alexa
There is a scheme called Shared Lives that offers a swap of accommodation for some support and companionship in the home , it was on the news some time ago and offers DBS checks and a matching service.

grannybuy Sun 02-Jun-19 11:50:54

Luckygirl, DH is currently in a nursing home due to his very poor mobility and delusion. I tend to say 'currently ' because not a day goes past when I don't consider having him at home. I have an AC at home with special needs so I have to factor this in as well. I have thought about private care, but realise that when the savings run out, we'd have no money to keep it going. As it is now, the local authority takes over the care home fees when this happens. Private care would certainly save a person from leaving their home, and avoid care home fees for a time though.

ReadyMeals Sun 02-Jun-19 12:04:42

SueB20 does that arrangement muddy the waters if the companion should become unable to meet the needs of the owner, and then you are left with a lodger/tenant to try and get rid of? When the accommodation goes with a job in a more formal sense, there is no legal grey area, the job ends and the person has to leave.

Cagney Sun 02-Jun-19 12:07:24

Hi I used work unsocial hrs emergency services opposite shifts to oh and employed au pairs through reputable agency , once kids were of school age
all of girls stayed two years and worked then for 5 hrs a day and attended English lessons at a local college
All of them had very good grasp of English when arrived and all were lovely girls , several had relatives placed through Same agency who were doing live in care , nanny sitting type jobs and helped not only with the nanny , grandad but also light housework
They were called Avon au pair agency am not sure if they still are going
They were a very reasonable costs compared to previous live in English nannies had employed when kids were smaller
Hope this helps am sure there are others of a similar type agency

Luckygirl Sun 02-Jun-19 12:12:20

Alexa - OH's anxiety is lifelong and resulted in his having to abandon his career at 42. It is much more of a problem now.

I talked about bursts of frenetic activity and we have just had one - it is physically taxing to move him, even with the right equipment here - and I find it emotionally draining to be basically changing a soiled nappy for an adult, and scraping it all up from everywhere - I wish I were better at it, but I hate it. I have to own my weaknesses.

grannybuy - your savings would never run out - SSD have to take responsibility when your OH's savings (independently of yours) fall below the limits set - they may not pay all the fees and a top-up might be required if you choose care that is more than they can pay. This applies to care at home as well as in a home.

SunnySusie Sun 02-Jun-19 12:19:52

My neighbour has a live in service called Country Cousins which I think is something to do with Saga. Both of them need personal care and the carer prepares meals. Neither need care at night and they had to have mobility aids and hoists installed because its not allowed for the carer to do anything risky where they might for example strain their back. The carer has to have regular days off and holidays. Their daughter who lives abroad comes over when the carer is away. The carer doesnt do cleaning and they employ a cleaner seperately. I dont know how much it all costs, but I think they had some financial help with the conversions to the house and the hoist.

annsixty Sun 02-Jun-19 12:28:40

Lucky girl I know I sound like an old cracked record but when things got to the stage you are describing now, I knew I couldn't carry on any longer.
I was much older than you, 81, but probably in better physical health than you at the start.
I am not now, I carried on for far too long.

aggie Sun 02-Jun-19 12:32:59

I am in agreement with Luckygirl

NotSpaghetti Sun 02-Jun-19 12:33:54

CrazyH the CSV used to have a scheme like that.
They had (generally) young people in effect "lodging" in exchange for some company and cooking, shopping or gardening etc. Unfortunately I can't remember what the project was called - it was a small part of what CSV did but struck me as being a great idea.

Here's the website anyway:
volunteeringmatters.org.uk/news/national-charity-community-service-volunteers-csv-becomes-volunteering-matters/

Would give them a ring and ask to speak to one of the project leaders - they may well know if it's still running.

Fennel Sun 02-Jun-19 12:42:15

Luckygirl - I would think your husband would be happier with a male than female carer?
Not sure about that though - I know a man who got very attached to his female carer wink.

Razzy Sun 02-Jun-19 13:33:00

I remember seeing something about a lady who was matched with a student. The student got free accommodation and in return had to do some tasks, like shopping, cleaning etc. She found a lovely young woman who was also happy with the deal as she had company and didn’t have the huge debt of accommodation. I think she may have been a nursing student. It wasn’t personal care though. Would something like that work?

kittylester Sun 02-Jun-19 13:49:02

Lucky, could dh go into respite care for a couple of weeks while you take stock and get organised?

glammanana Sun 02-Jun-19 13:49:32

SunnySusie I had a friend who lived near to me when we lived in Spain she worked for Country Cousins and every couple of months she moved over to UK to be a live in carer for families who needed her services,she would stay with the family for 4/6 weeks at a time she was very well thought of by her regular families and constantly requested by them for times such as when they went on holidays themselves and needed their parents caring for.
It was quite expensive but gave the families full peace of mind,my friend had her flights paid and she was paid extra if she had to get up during the night for extra care.

Lazigirl Sun 02-Jun-19 14:10:40

This does seem an option Lucky and one I did consider for my mother, but worked out way too expensive. You need someone able to cope with OHs personal care but also other necessary tasks like extra laundry, housework and cleaning, meal prep and of course to relieve you of some of the responsibility & stress, but its difficult to cover all bases. Could you try someone for a few days to see how it works? Perhaps employ someone regularly fo cleaning and laundry, and look at some relief personal care separately. I think it would be difficult having a stranger in the house full time, but with the right person it could work?

EmilyHarburn Sun 02-Jun-19 14:59:23

You could start to think about how to arrange care by putting a room aside with its own bed, desk and TV. You should have a wifii available for the person to log on to.

Before you go the expensive rout of full time care from an agency you could try an internet platform such as Helpx. Agencies could provide you with an au pair for the elderly. As you will be hosting and paying these live in carers they cook for both of you and do the household laundry.

Iat is only when you are not paying and they are provided by the council that their services may not include helping the carer. However this was supposed to be overcome by having a carer's assessment so that both parties got support.

Grammaretto Sun 02-Jun-19 15:36:12

I have been making enquiries about my elderly friend's situation. It is an agency. The carers who live in, do 3 months on. 3 months off.
I haven't found the cost yet or how this was chosen.
It sounds as if you need support yourself now.

Chloesgranny Sun 02-Jun-19 15:47:03

I had an aunt who was blind and had poor mobility. She lived in Hampshire and had a live in carer from Country Cousins. She did everything in the house and was happy to cook for visitors. In Suffolk there is an agency called Christie’s Care that an elderly friend used. Her carer has been with her several years. She needs help with everything. Again her carer is happy to do everything but does expect to eat with her employer and any visitors. She has a break each day and 2 weeks off a year. The agency has a good local reputation. I don’t know whether it operates only in Suffolk or whether it has branches nationwide. If you employed someone from an agency at least they would handle the paperwork and if you didn’t get on they would find you a replacement rather than you having to do it. Good luck!!

GrannyHaggis Sun 02-Jun-19 15:59:37

My neighbours have recently accepted the fact that neither can look after the other and now have live-in carers. One for the day, another for the night and one to relieve the day carer for 2 hours every day. They also have a cleaner once a week who's been 'doing' their house for many years. From what I can gather, the day carer is there for about 8 weeks, then is replaced by another for the same length of time. I can't imagine it's cheap, but it seems to work for them although the wife did say it was very strange to begin with having someone in the house all the time.

soos45 Sun 02-Jun-19 16:43:06

I have 2 South African friends who do this. They are wonderful caring ladies who have become good friends with “their families” . They work 6 days a week for quite long hours and get regular leave breaks, when extra cover is needed. Personally I think it comes down to whether you feel comfortable having someone living in your home. ....

Hm999 Sun 02-Jun-19 17:14:49

I like the uni student idea, accommodation etc is so expensive. Different courses have different demands for time in uni.

vickya Sun 02-Jun-19 17:14:54

My mother had dementia,.She went into a home in 1996 but before that, not immediately but a year or two before, she had a live-in carer. The lady was very pleasant and was from the Philipines. Mum had a 3 room flat so the carer had a small bedroom but shared meals and they could sit together in the living room. My mum watched tv most of the time. I can't recall why it ended. My mother needed meals prepared and someone there for safety, more a companion. There was a cleaner too. I went in to check daily, did the shopping etc and another good friend did too. The friend complained about the carer. I think we advertised for someone. Didn't go through an agency, but I think things probably operate differently now. I'm not sure this is helpful smile

win Sun 02-Jun-19 19:05:39

I run a carers Support Group and have two Carers attending my group who have 24/7 live in Carers. They work alternate weeks so one week on and one week off and also have two hours off in the afternoon everyday but that is it. On top of the £145 per 24 hours their food is additional. In both instances the wife does all the cooking in return for the carer doing all the cleaning and ironing. It works really well and both say the cRer is great Support and companionship for them too and has in fact taught them to laugh and enjoy life again. Personally I would have found it very hard to have someone else attending to my husband without my assistance when I was his carer and would not have liked anyone living in either but that is just me. For them it works well. So if you like the idea of having someone living in and can afford the extra help go for it. The national company these Carers use are excellent and does all the arranging and matching for you. If you don't like a carer on arrival you can exchange them within very short notice. Good luck.

Sourcerer48 Sun 02-Jun-19 20:29:38

I worked as a live-in carer when I first came to the UK from South Africa, It was through an agency called Consultus based in Kent. We were paid according to the type of care needed and usually got a couple of hours off in the afternoon. Helping with meal preparation was part of the job as was shopping, driving to appointments etc. I often did clean, although that was not part of my job. Although most of the clients were lovely, there were a couple of horrible people, one of whom threw her lunch at me because I commiserated with her family being so far away in Australia!
Continuity of care is so important in many conditions, so having a live-carer (if you can afford it, and have the room) is certainly an option.

Alexa Sun 02-Jun-19 20:40:30

Luckygirl, if you decide to try live in help and found you didn't like it, then you could revert to the old system, and nothing lost for trying it out?

BTW does the frenetic activity occur at regular times? Maybe a live in help who is also part time might be less expensive than 24 hr care.