Gransnet forums

Care & carers

Live-in care

(82 Posts)
Luckygirl Sat 01-Jun-19 22:39:07

Has anyone any experience of this, either for themselves or for a relative?

I have been looking into this during this week. The finances are horrifying, and our savings will vanish speedily; but, that aside, there are many considerations....
What it might be like to have a stranger living in the house? Whether we would cope with that or get on? etc. etc.

But the advantages are very clear: consistent care instead of several carers coming in and out (and me having to show them where everything is etc. over and over again!); freedom for me to pop in and out when I need to and not have to arrange odd bits of care here and there; cooking, laundry, housework all done as well as the care.

We currently have 3 care visits a day plus extra care when I have to go out. And I do all the housework, laundry etc. - which is a struggle on crutches - I am happy to do it obviously, but if this knee problem continues it is very hard to do. I could get all this for not a huge great deal more money.

Decisions, decisions!

annsixty Wed 05-Jun-19 11:45:10

So sad for you Granny23
I think the week before my H went into care was one of the worst weeks.
Had I done the wrong thing?
Would I regret it?
How would he react?
I truly think I felt that more than when he died.
I knew then the cancer was so aggressive and advanced that he was going to die,
In the first days it was almost a relief.
Fight SS and get help from Age UK if necessary, they know the system better than us.

kittylester Wed 05-Jun-19 11:49:44

g23, is it possible to pay a top up for your dh to go into the home you want. I realise that you are in a different area but we could do that when mum needed residential care. I assume the one you want is allowed dementia patients?

kittylester Wed 05-Jun-19 11:50:29

Forgive me if I have remembered your circumstances incorrectly.

Granny23 Wed 05-Jun-19 17:17:41

I would willingly pay a top-up if that was the problem, as we will be self funding to begin with anyway. The problem is the stupidest thing you have ever heard. Our chosen home, which is run by the LA is not quite up to the modern standards and it has been decided for financial reasons that it will close and the site will be sold - BUT NOT UNTIL A REPLACEMENT HOME HAS BEEN BUILT on another site. As the replacement is not even off the drawing board yet, this has been estimated to take between 2 and 3 years to complete. However the Social Work Department has a policy of not admitting residents to a home unless it can guarantee to accommodate them and meet their needs for as long as they last because a change of Care Home is seen to be detrimental to their well being.

Although, when the proposal to close and rebuild came before the relevant committee, it was pended to the late June meeting for further information. Meanwhile, an over zealous clerk to the Council having noted that the Home was to close, jumped the gun and implemented another Council Policy, i.e. no new admissions from the 1st April, with a view to running the home down, pending closure. This was not what was intended. The idea was to keep the existing residents and staff (around 40 of each) in the old home until they moved en bloc to the New home.

Apparently this order cannot be rescinded until the meeting at the end of June. Meanwhile we are in limbo, not wanting to consider the homes offered 'far away' until there is a final decision on our favoured home.

MawBroonsback Wed 05-Jun-19 21:36:39

A bit late in the day, but it sounds as if you have grasped the nettle luckygirl
I hope you can stick to your guns and that the DDs can support you and not muddy the water.
Ignore the “I knew you would do this to me” and think of it as “do this for me”
It is for his own good and while he may seem to have mental capacity in isolated instances, you are right that he does not have or understand the full picture.
Stay Strong!

cornergran Wed 05-Jun-19 21:43:53

granny23, what a ridiculous situation. I’m so sorry flowers. Not that words from me fix anything.