Gransnet forums

Care & carers

Carers health assessment

(37 Posts)
Maybelle Mon 03-Jun-19 12:10:00

I am a full time carer for my DH. Finding it a bit heavy going and isolating at times.

I have been contact by my GP surgery offering me a carers health assessment.

Has anyone had one of these and can tell me what it involves and does it make any difference ?

Thanks

annsixty Mon 03-Jun-19 12:51:39

Hi Maybelle
When I was caring for my H, my GP surgery certainly were not interested in either of us, a sign of the times I think.
However we did have a SW and she carried out a carers assessment and I was given £150 just to spend on myself.
She suggested a hair appt or a weekend away or anything to give me a lift.
I think your surgery are looking at your health needs, though a rest is all we need.

Luckygirl Mon 03-Jun-19 13:31:34

I have been fighting to get a Carer's Assessment for me for the last 2 months.

Slowcookervegan Mon 03-Jun-19 13:39:58

Adult social care came to the house. We talked about what i was capable of doing and what i wasnt. Tgey did a risk assessment and then they adapted my house to make it safe, put in a panic system for emergencies. Then awarded me so many hours of care and talked me through my options. Couldn't thank them enough.

trisher Mon 03-Jun-19 13:47:08

MaybelleI hope it is as helpful as Slowcookervegan says. I just wondered have you asked if there is a carers support group near you? I found out abut one near me just before my mum died. It sounded really good and I wish I'd known about it before. It might be worth ringing social services or asking your GP if there is one. You sound as if you need some support.

Maybelle Tue 04-Jun-19 03:16:31

Thanks for the replies and information.

I phoned and made an appointment for the assessment . It will be in 2 weeks time and will carried out a nurse at the surgery.

Told it will take around 20 minutes.

Seems more about my health rather than how I / we cope with the day by day practicality of life. That side seems to dealt with by a SW.

But willing to go and talk and see what it's all about. Will update after the appointment.

I am thinking of joining carers UK for online support, but pretty near impossible for me to get out to go to a group.

Thanks again.

kittylester Tue 04-Jun-19 06:10:39

Can I ask what is wrong with your husband? Is there a specific group for your husband's condition?

It is wise to register with the surgery as a carer, which it appears you have done.

Humbertbear Tue 04-Jun-19 07:53:01

I’ve never been offered this but my GP is very aware of the many demands on me as a carer for my mother and my husband. The GP and I are both aware of the toll this places on my health. He once asked me how I cope and I told him I sometimes sit in my car and scream

Alygran Tue 04-Jun-19 08:14:47

Do look up Carers Trust and Carers UK. There should be an affiliated centre covering your area. Some provide the Carers Assessment on behalf of the Local Authority and one to one support as well as groups. Certainly worth a call to see if they can support you.
A CA can signpost to benefits, respite and other services.

Lazigirl Tue 04-Jun-19 09:33:25

I think it is the responsibility of the LA or providers on behalf of LA to provide a Carers Assessment for you. There is some support which you can claim and this will be pointed out to you. I am not sure the nurse at the surgery is the appropriate person for this, apart from giving you advice about your own health of course. I would contract LA or AgeUk as others have said.

Maybelle Tue 04-Jun-19 10:04:38

Our surgery has just had an awareness raising about
caring and the impact it has on the long term carers.

When you have an appointment at the surgery (they have a computerised arrival system) when you book in there was a box to click saying if you were or considered yourself to be a carer.

Hopefully this will help many people to seek information and support.

Still not the joined up service that will help with both aspects of carers health and WE assessment for home needs and support.

Thanks for the information re groups and for support. Will post about the experience if carers assessment once done.

Maybelle Mon 17-Jun-19 14:23:44

it was my carer's health assessment today.
Unfortunately DH has had a bad morning and I can't leave him in case he falls.
Assessment rearranged for next week.

The joys of being a sole carer . . .

Lazigirl Mon 17-Jun-19 21:04:44

That's a pity Maybelle. Do you get any help or respite care I wonder.

Maybelle Tue 18-Jun-19 09:18:35

Not yet approached the LA for a carers assessment lazigirl but it is on my list.

Up to the last year or so it hasn't really been too much of an issue. And could get out every now and then to meet up with our DDs . But just having a bad patch that I am hoping will pass soon.

But starting to think I should start looking at future needs, before I need. Take control rather than firefighting.

lovebeigecardigans1955 Tue 18-Jun-19 09:24:28

Yes, I had one when I was caring for my late husband. The nurse was lovely, understanding and very sympathetic when I burst into tears. It really helps to talk when you're trying to keep yourself fighting-fit when things feel bleak. Many of us need help in this situation so grab it with both hands. I hope it is as helpful for you as it was for me.

Maybelle Tue 25-Jun-19 17:37:12

Managed to get to the doctors for the assessment today. Not sure about the value of it to be honest.

Weight, height and blood pressure, plus a quick chat about how things were as a carer.

Blood pressure a little high on first attempt but we agreed it may have been more sensible to take the reading before talking about how things were as a carer. . .

She also did check I was claiming any benefits I might be due.

To be honest it felt like a tick box exercise. But it was the first one she had done, and as I had not previously met her I was a little reticent in opening up.

GillT57 Tue 25-Jun-19 18:23:41

The important thing when having one of these assessments is to be honest, and honest based on the worst days/nights. Too many people say they are 'fine' and shrug it off. My late DM had an assessment done when she was looking after my DF who had Alzheimer's disease and the very kind person doing the assessment kept asking DM to 'tell it as it is, not as you think I want to hear it'. We can all be guilty of guddling along until we crack.

Lazigirl Thu 27-Jun-19 12:19:45

I think you are right Maybelle it is more of a tick box assessment funded by NHS, but on the positive side if you were found to have a medical condition for example, you could be treated. It depends what you require/expect from the assessment. If it's purely a medical check, and info and contacts for other support services then it fulfils the criteria. If you would like practical help it's via social services and Age Uk for example. Age UK provided my mother (for a charge) a cleaner, who was vetted, and they have volunteers for befriending and so on.

Teddy111 Sun 30-Jun-19 21:13:08

Our local authority have a family carer support team,not nurses,a lovely lady interviewed me and sent many suggestions for groups,interests.She got me a 'credit card' with £200 to pay for things that would help me to feel better.Swimming again etc,you have to keep all receipts. There is very little for anybody in this rural area.

A new round of blood tests, radiotherapy,chemotherapy,diabetic nurse,then dentist as having new chemo called Denosumab.
So not had time to arrange anything yet. I was most grateful. It was her ,who suggested that I asked for support from hospice,they have been excellent.Supportive for both of us. I hope you get some proper help. All the best.

Specky Thu 04-Jul-19 14:24:18

Hello everyone,
Can i just clarify that a G.P based carer assessment focuses on the health of a carer and a carer assessments carried out by the local authority is a holistic assessment that looks at all aspects of a carers role. It should be a conversation that focuses on what impact caring has on a carers life and wellbeing e.g opportunity to have a break or go to work or have leisure time to participate in hobbies? A good assessment will suggest options for support and help the carer to plan how their needs will be met, whether it be via family and friends, the voluntary sector or local authority provision. Small carer only grants are often available to pay for something that helps the carer such as massages to reduce stress and physical tension or a short holiday, There are unfortunately often waiting lists so it's a good idea to ask for an assessment before the strain gets too much.
Can i just add that carers are by and large fantastic and without them the health and social care systems would be sunk!! Thank you carers... Xxx

boodymum67 Thu 07-Nov-19 15:48:22

I know this post is a few months old, but wondered how things are now? My hubby has cared for me for 11 years on his own and 8 years with carers coming in. I need a lot of help.

He is at the point where he is now struggling. He is 71 and has rheumatoid arthritis. He is having a carer`s assessment next week. We have asked for more help and a very nice SW is on it.

Specky Mon 11-Nov-19 01:03:42

I hope your hubbies carer assessment goes well... I think it's fair to say that assessments can vary enormously. He must be honest and realistic about what he can and can't do and dare I say it he should probably have the assessment without you being present. Otherwise he may feel that he has to put on a brave face for you and say he's managing ok rather than admit he's struggling as you suggest in your post.

I hope you both get the support you need. Best wishes

boodymum67 Tue 12-Nov-19 14:32:45

Yeh, I think he will say more if I`m not present. He has always been one of the typically proud `It`s MY job to look after everyone` brigade.

boodymum67 Tue 12-Nov-19 14:37:54

I`m very dependent on hubby and carers for so many things. We do have help but hubby needs more. He`s having a carer`s assessment on Thursday.

Why don't you think about getting carers in to help with the load?

Don't let your hubby talk you out of it. You`ll do him more good if you get some `me` time xxx

Hetty58 Tue 12-Nov-19 14:44:05

My friend is a carer for her mother. She gets carer's allowance and help with her own housework, hoovering etc. too!