Gransnet forums

Care & carers

Crazy Carer's Assessment rules

(34 Posts)
Luckygirl Mon 10-Jun-19 08:30:56

Just been discussing the Carer's Assessment, which has still not been forthcoming. When I was working, the carer's assessment was part of the whole package of assessing a person's needs and the level of care was increased to take account of the carer's health and abilities.

I have just discovered that currently the situation is now different - the only positive outcome from the assessment is that the carer is allocated a small lump sum of money that they can spend to make their lives easier, but...........they are not allowed to spend any of it on care for the person they are looking after! How mad is that? - that is the one thing above all else that is needed - and if they wanted to spend it on a night at the theatre or whatever , they would need to get care in in order to be able to go!

Katyj Fri 19-Jul-19 17:37:12

Hi, my mum broke her hip 6 weeks ago she has been in rehabilitation 4 weeks.She's 87, when I went to visit she told me she was coming home next week, I was shocked so went to ask, apparently she is going home to see how she can manage, it's a first floor flat with a stairlift. I don't think she's any way ready for home, in fact I don't think they'll manage to get her in a car, she's still in a lot of pain, taking 16 painkillers a day plus morphine, she's also confused and says she feels ill.The rehabilitation home says it only keeps patients for up to six weeks, so she is nearing the end of her stay.Has anybody else been through this.What do I do, can I insist she needs to stay longer.She can walk with a zimmer about 12 steps, but because her bp drops she feels wobbly and has to get back in bed. She also has a heart condition.

Katyj Fri 19-Jul-19 17:38:57

Oops posted in the wrong place confused

aggie Fri 19-Jul-19 18:01:00

Do Not let them send her home without a care package , if she gets home you will not get help , but if you can't get her home they have to supply carers to come in and help her . but she has to be assessed , the medics physios social workers all have to see that she can't cope .
Sorry this is all abit confused , just trying to let you know

MissAdventure Fri 19-Jul-19 18:05:21

Yes, there should be social worker you can ask to see, and they can arrange 6 weeks of support, which they then review and decide if continuing care will be needed.

They once discharged my mum without making those arrangements, and after a whole night in A & E, (because she was in a worse state than when she went in) we were told that because she'd been discharged there was nothing they could do.

boodymum67 Wed 30-Oct-19 14:49:45

My hubby is my main carer, as well as 2 part time ones. He gets an annual sum of £200 ish. He has to send in receipts of what he has spent it on.

Witzend Sat 18-Jan-20 09:58:44

Katyj, I know it sounds drastic, but if you know 100% that she’s not ready to go home, and it’s very likely going to mean a fall or other disaster ending in another hospital admission quite soon, then make sure she has no house keys on her, don’t give them any, and make sure they know there will be nobody either to take her or receive her.

I know of people who’ve sadly had to resort to such measures because staff simply would not listen.

Greeneyedgirl Sat 18-Jan-20 10:39:25

Katyj. Your mum is entitled to a Care Needs Assessment before discharge if she needs ongoing support after 6 weeks. If the home she is in do not arrange this then contact your Adult Social Work Team via your local Council, and request this.
Refuse for her to be discharged until this is done, and a Care Plan put in place if necessary. This won't necessarily be free, but she is entitled to be assessed. Insist! Good luck.

Dillyduck Thu 30-Jan-20 10:20:43

Join the Carers UK forum, lots of support from fellow carers. The Carers Assessment is for you, to help you (I have counselling and gym membership) but he should have a Needs Assessment. Was this mentioned?!?!