Gransnet forums

Care & carers

Moving an adult with a severe learning disability to a new placement - any advice?

(36 Posts)
Jane10 Sun 15-Nov-20 08:54:51

Depends how young and fit the parents are. Sadly I've seen too many adults with autism catapulted into care after the parent suddenly cannot longer cope (for a variety of reasons eg broken hip, long term serious illness) or dies. I've always found that planned admissions are much better all round especially when the parent is still able to be involved in the selection of a place and briefing of the staff. It's nicer for the individual too. Parental visits or visits home and joint holidays etc can be factored in and parents minds can be put at ease that their adult child will be OK when they are no longer around.
Sudden crisis care should be avoided if at all possible.

OceanMama Sat 14-Nov-20 23:40:02

PS - I know even if we're young we need to make guardianship plans and have done that, because life is unpredictable.

OceanMama Sat 14-Nov-20 23:38:58

Where there is a willing and capable parent to provide care too an autistic young adult, and the parent is young enough that they don't have to consider where their child would go should they pass away, could someone please tell me the reasons for choosing a care home? Are there social advantages? Is it a way for the AC to have some sense of independence? I know that autism manifests in all kinds of ways so they are all different. I know some will never need any kind of care and can be independent, while others never will be fully. This question for personal reasons and it would be very helpful to hear any input. Response by PM is welcome.

SueDonim Sat 14-Nov-20 17:49:05

No experience myself but I know people who’ve found it very helpful to use social stories to prepare their special needs children for upcoming changes.

I don’t suppose there’s one method that works for everyone.

Kate54 Sat 14-Nov-20 16:40:17

Absolutely Jane10 , these have been our thoughts, with the well-trained and prepared carers being the most important thing. Our son has always surprised us in certain situations which we were dreading e.g. getting caught in a terrible thunderstorm when out walking as a family.......he absolutely loved it. But that was a longtime ago.....

Jane10 Sat 14-Nov-20 16:20:05

I know this is counterintuitive but with adults with autism we found it much less stressful to just move. A prolonged transition with eg tea visits then an overnight one and gradual transition of belongings can really exacerbate anxieties. I have to say that we initially found this out after an emergency move and the individual was absolutely fine (to our amazement). He had left behind various rituals and worries and did well. After that we used this method with other individuals. More cognitively able adults explained that a prolonged transition was stressful, they didn't know quite where they were etc.
Good luck. Structure, predictability,calm and enlightened (ie well trained) carers are the watchwords.

Kate54 Sat 14-Nov-20 12:57:10

Thanks all and Annsixty for empathising. The new place has been found. Complex needs indeed but we are confident that , on paper at least, they’re up to it! Covid has caused a few difficulties - namely that although we’ve been to the offices, we haven’t seen the residential side except by video tour. Making the decision was the hard bit.

sodapop Sat 14-Nov-20 12:46:00

I ran learning disability services and residential home /short break Unit before I retired Kate54 I'm not sure what is allowed under the current restrictions but I'm sure your son will have a named worker who you can liaise with. Keep things as low key as possible, make sure he has his favourite things to take with him. Normally parents/carers would spend time settling in their family member, having meals together etc and gradually reduce the time spent in the new home.
I understand completely how you feel and in my experience the new resident settled in much more quickly than the family expected. If your son has complex needs make sure all the details are given to the staff. I hope your son settles in well Kate54 and you can feel comfortable about his new home.

Galaxy Sat 14-Nov-20 12:36:07

I havent been through this but I work with children with learning disabilities and have been involved with many transitions to adult care.
There are obvious steps like regular visits, photos of his new carers, etc although I understand visits may be difficult in the current circumstances. A good home will let you do the transition at your pace. For many of the young people I worked with it helped to have their 'old staff' spend time in the new environment. Sorry if I am teaching you to suck eggs so to speak. It also helped the young people I worked with to have access to whatever is their stress reliever, e.g regular trips to their favourite place, so that their old routine is mirrored in the new place. I hope it goes well for you and your son flowers

annsixty Sat 14-Nov-20 12:36:06

Dear Kate
I cannot help you at all , just wanted to say how much I feel for you in the very difficult situation you find yourself in.
I hope you find somewhere very suitable and special for your son.

Kate54 Sat 14-Nov-20 12:05:34

After a couple of years of dithering and with the full backing of our local authority, we have finally made the decision to move our adult son, who has severe learning disabilies, autism and challenging behaviour, to a new residential care home.
He has been at his current home for 10 years and, although attached to some of the staff there, for reasons too long to discuss here, we have explored all options and had to take the plunge.
The move will be, briefly we hope, traumatic for him and the next few months are going to be difficult for all of us.
Have any GNers been through this experience? All advice gratefully received?