Gransnet forums

Care & carers

Help, elderly uncle has lost his cheque book and bills need paying!

(18 Posts)
Viridian Mon 11-Jan-21 18:10:40

My friend's uncle has been in hospital. Before that he was managing his finances by paying all his bills by cheque and cashing money by going into the bank. No plastic cards or direct debits. He's now too poorly to get to the bank and can't remember where his cheque book is. My friend doesn't have power of attorney and is his only relative. Fairly large bills need paying urgently - utilities, carers etc etc. What can she do?

Smileless2012 Mon 11-Jan-21 18:13:50

Can she contact everyone and explain that payment may be late and why, before searching his home to find the missing cheque book?

Buffybee Mon 11-Jan-21 18:19:54

If he's too poorly to get to the bank, could be perhaps ring the branch he goes in to and explain he's mislaid his cheque book. They usually send one out quite quickly but he needs to speak to them himself.

Viridian Mon 11-Jan-21 18:23:02

Thanks for your quick replies! Good ideas both, I'll forward them to her.

keepingquiet Mon 11-Jan-21 18:23:20

Speak to the bank in the first instance. They will know his regular payments and should be able to contact the people he owes money too. Age UK should also be able to help. Things being what they just now no one is going to panic over a few unpaid debts.

Shandy57 Mon 11-Jan-21 18:24:51

This is very sad, it reminds me of my aunt's friend who pays all her bills in cash.

Could the relative pay his bills on their credit card, find the cheque book, and he can write her a cheque to cover the amount before any interest is applied.

welbeck Mon 11-Jan-21 18:25:24

he must ring the bank to cancel that cheque book.
then register to do telephone banking, using his voice as his password. this is important as he will not have to remember random words. and then he will be able to pay bills when they come in by ringing bank.
he should also have a debit card with contactless payment. good luck.
a person i know eventually did the voice as password, about 2 years after i suggested it, and then said how much easier it was, esp as she is housebound, with hosp visits. no need to find bits of paper, get muddled up which password is which bank etc. less stress.

Viridian Mon 11-Jan-21 18:35:12

Thank you again. He is too weak to make the phone calls etc. Actually he doesn't use a phone normally! A nightmare! He would never trust a contactless card either. It must be a tricky situation because my friend is pretty switched on but is obviously stuck this time. I really appreciate all your input, especially so fast.

welbeck Mon 11-Jan-21 18:45:28

would he authorise her to do banking on his behalf, this can be set up with bank, a kind of restricted POA.

welbeck Mon 11-Jan-21 18:46:29

get her to ring bank while with him, if he can only agree to her speaking on his behalf, they can advise further.

Viridian Mon 11-Jan-21 19:08:22

Thanks welbeck, will pass those on.

Viridian Mon 11-Jan-21 21:16:09

Have spoken with my friend. She very much appreciates your advice, and is going to start by phoning the bank with her uncle there. Cheers everyone!!!

1967roz Mon 11-Jan-21 21:26:18

Contact his bank, and find out his options, most banks have provisions that can be made on behalf of elderly vulnerable customers, but obviously, he will need to consent.

welbeck Mon 11-Jan-21 22:00:48

perhaps now he has been laid up, and with all the problems this has caused, he will be more open to accepting more modern and convenient methods eg direct debit, at least for council tax, as that is so vital, and no quibbling over sum owed.
i had an elderly relative who would not consider anything i suggested, almost on principle, as if i was an infant or untrustworthy.
but when that nice lady at the town hall said it would be a good idea...
similarly with getting a joint account, nice lady at branch set it up, but elder would only agree to joint signatory being someone who did very little for/ with them.
luckily that someone, wishing to continue hands-off involvement, was willing to give me the debit card, which i used in their name, all on behalf of elder.
sometimes you have to go all around the wrekin !

welbeck Mon 11-Jan-21 22:03:23

if the uncle would agree to setting up a joint account with niece, perhaps with a monthly auto debit from an other account, in order to pay bills, get shopping etc, then she could sally forth as his emissary.

Viridian Tue 12-Jan-21 08:01:06

We can live in hope! He is very set in his ways, but his niece is lovely so hopefully with all your excellent suggestions she will manage to persuade him!

littleflo Tue 12-Jan-21 10:59:07

When I needed to contact the utility companies about my step-father, I found them really helpful and supportive. They have a system where you can notify them that their customer is a vulnerable person. They have all sorts of ways to support them.

Viridian Tue 12-Jan-21 17:05:38

Thank you, I'll pass that on too.